Jeera Rice Instant Pot will reward you with a subtly flavored, perfectly cooked, extremely fluffy rice. Instant Pot Cumin Rice makes a great, easy and quick meal when paired with your favorite protein dish or even curries.
Table Of Contents
Instant Pot Jeera Rice
Looking ways to perk up your day to day boring boiled rice?
Than make Jeera Rice without a second thought.
It’s quick & easy!
I cannot stress enough how much we love cooking rice in our Instant Pot and that includes recipes from around the globe!
Cooking rice in the Instant Pot might get a little tricky at times.
It’s all about how well you manage the rice to water ratio, the cooking time, the pressure release technique and a few other important things.
Best Rice Choices
The most popular rice variety that’s widely used to make Jeera Rice is a good quality aged Basmati Rice.
You can use any brand of your choice or even buy local from your grocer.
Why aged Basmati?
Because aged Basmati has enhanced and intensified taste, aroma and cooking characteristics.
For instance, it cooks lighter, fluffier and the rice grains does not clump up or become gooey! It has an addictive aroma that lingers for quiet a while.
If you are a Beginner Cook start from these Aged Basmati Rice Brands. The top 3 brands are our first choice:
- India Gate
- Lal Qilla
- 24 Mantra Organic Basmati Rice
What goes with Jeera Rice?
Curries, Dal fry and a variety of protein dishes go very well with Jeera Rice.
Here are a few of our most loved recipes from Foodies Terminal that we often serve with Jeera Rice:
- Aloo Gosht
- Chicken Madras Recipe
- Lamb Curry Instant Pot
- Boneless Chicken Gravy Recipe
- Chicken Rezala
- Soya Chunks Curry
- Paneer Gobi Instant Pot
- Aloo Capsicum
- Chana Masala Recipe for Chapathi
- Chicken Keema Curry
Find the detailed ingredients with actual measurements in the Recipe Card way below the post.
- Good quality Aged Basmati Rice.
- Whole Spices: Cumin Seeds, Cinnamon stick, green cardamom, cloves and Bay Leaf.
- Ghee or any neutral oil.
- Salt & Sugar.
Find the detailed step by step recipe instructions along with the detailed measurements in the Recipe Card way below the post.
Step #1 Temper Oil/ghee and Saute rice
Set the Instant pot on SAUTE and keep it at NORMAL.
Sizzle the whole spices and the bay leaf in ghee or oil until fragrant (few seconds).
Add rinsed rice (very well washed). Saute for 4-5 seconds.
Step #2 Pressure Cook, fluff, serve
Add normal water. Mix gently well and deglaze the pot very well.
PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 4 mins followed by Natural Pressure Release (NPR) for 10 mins and than release the rest of the pressure manually.
Fluff the rice gently with the help of a fork.
Allow the Jeera Rice to rest for 10 mins before serving.
Jeera Rice is a lightly flavored rice dish where rice (mainly Basmati rice) is cooked along with whole cumin seeds and a few other whole spices like cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf and cloves.
It’s also known as Cumin Rice and is popularly served as a side in the restaurants and take away joints along with curries and gravies.
Pressure Cooker Jeera Rice will last for 5 days in the fridge when stored in moisture free air tight containers.
Yes you can freeze Instant Pot Jeera Rice for upto 2 months in freezer safe bags.
Thaw them over night in the refrigerator and re-heat either in the microwave oven or on the stove top. Do sprinkle water before re-heating. This will prevent the rice from drying out.
More Rice Dishes
Jeera Rice Instant PotPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 1-1/4 cup normal water (1 cup + 50 ml)
- Begin by rinsing the rice very well until clear water runs through. This step is very important as it helps get rid of the surface starch from the rice. As a result it won't become sticky or gooey when cooked.
- Now, set the Instant Pot on SAUTE and set it on NORMAL.
- Add oil or ghee and when it becomes moderately hot add all the whole spices and allow them to sizzle for a few seconds or until fragrant.
- Next, add the rinsed rice and gently mix with the other ingredients. Saute the rice for just 4-5 seconds.
- Measure the water in the same cup you measured the rice. Pour the water, add salt and sugar. Give everything in the pot a good stir. Also, de-glaze the pot very well.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot. Seal the valve and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 4 minutes.
- Once, the cooking cycle is over the Instant Pot will begin to beep. Wait for a natural pressure release (NPR) for 10 minutes and than release the rest of the pressure manually.
- Open the lid of the pot and gently fluff the hot jeera rice with the help of a fork.
- Allow the rice to rest for 10 minutes before serving with your favorite curry or gravy. Enjoy!
- Measuring Units used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.
- Use aged Basmati for best results. Our favorite brands are mentioned in the post.
- Rinse the rice very well. Do not skip this step. Rinsing the rice will help wash out the surface starch from the rice and make them extremely fluffy and non-gooey.
- Use the same cup to measure the rice and the water. The rice to water ratio is extremely important.
- You can skip adding the sugar. But, I’ll highly recommend it as it helps balance the taste of the cumin rice.
- Fluff the cooked jeera rice with fork once the cooking cycle is over. This helps to release the trapped steam easily and cools down the rice faster making it fluffy and light.
- Do allow the Jeera rice to rest for at least 10 mins before serving. This will make the rice fluffier and light.
- Check out our most favorite recipes that we love serving with Instant Pot Jeera Rice. They are mentioned in the post itself.