Begin by wasing the red lentils or masoor dal very well under running tap water until the water runs clear. Set aside.
Add the dal to the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Pour water followed by salt and turmeric powder. Give everything a very good mix.
Close the lid, seal the valve and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for just 2 mins.
After 2 mins when the Instant Pot begins to beep immediately release the rest of the pressure and open the lid.
Add more water if need be and mix well with the dal. Mash the cooked masoor dal with the nack of a ladle to give it a semi smooth texture.
Prepare the Tadka
Set a small pan over medium high heat. Add mustard oil, when the oil is smoking hot throw in the pachforon & dry red chilies. Allow them to sizzle in the hot oil for few seconds or until aromatic. Immediately add the sliced onions and fry the onions until just golden in the edges.
Set the Instant Pot on SAUTE and keep it at LOW. Transfer the Tadka to the pressure cooked masoor dal. Mix well and simmer for 2-3 mins.
Adjust the water. You may add more water if you prefer a runny dal. Serve hot. Enjoy!
Calorific details are provided by a third party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.
- Measuring Units used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.
- Instant Pot Used = IP Lux 3 quart.
- Note: The consistency of the dal can be very well controlled. If you prefer thinner consistency add more water and vice versa.
- You may swap the Panchforon with either Nigella seeds (Kalonji or Kalojeere) or black mustard seeds (rai/sarson).
- Through in a few slit green chilies for a spicy kick.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 200kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 3mg | Potassium: 383mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin C: 5.8mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 7.4mg