To Prepare the Flatbread or Crepe or the paratha:
Lining the Flatbreads with egg:
To prepare the Sauteed Chicken for the Stuffing:
To Prepare the salad for stuffing:
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumber.
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion.
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro or coriander leaves.
- 6-7 green chilies finely chopped (optional).
- 1/3 cup grated carrot.
- Tomato + green chili sauce according to taste.
How to Prepare the flatbread or crepe or the paratha: 1. In a clean dry bowl gently sieve the all-purpose flour & salt, whisk then add the oil and mix with your fingers, gently rub and mix. This helps to uniformly distribute the oil.2. Add cold water in small amounts and start kneading the dough until a soft and smooth dough forms. It should not stick in your fingers at the final stage. Cover with cling film and allow the dough to rest for 15 mins.3. After 15 mins divide the dough into 5 equal portions and smoothen the portions into round balls.4. Next, with the help of a rolling pin roll each ball into a flat disk about 7-8 inches. Roll all the 5 balls into round disks.5. Heat a griddle over medium heat and gently place the rolled dough. You can see bubbles forming, gently flip on the other side brushing oil on each side and cooking both sides. When you see brown spots appearing it's time to switch off the flame and keep the flatbreads aside. How to line the parathas with egg: 1. Heat a griddle or tawa over medium heat. Brush the surface with oil. Next place one paratha and crack one whole egg on top of the paratha, spread it and gently flip. cook until the egg clings on the paratha. Follow the same process for the rest of the parathas and keep the egg lined parathas aside.How To Prepare The Sauteed Chicken For The Stuffing: 1. Add all the mentioned ingredients except the 2 tablespoons canola oil + the tomato paste and marinate the chicken for at least 15 mins.2. Next Heat 2 tablespoons canola oil on a griddle over medium heat and gently release the marinated boneless chicken pieces and saute for 15 mins or until done. Halfway through add the tomato paste and saute until done. Keep aside the sauteed and cooked chicken.How to Prepare the Salad for stuffing: 1. If you want you can mix all the mentioned chopped and sliced ingredients in a bowl except the sauces and keep aside. I didn't do that. How to assemble the Chicken Kathi Roll or egg Chicken roll: 1. Take one egg lined flatbread or paratha, egg side up and spread about 1-2 teaspoons each tomato and chili sauce, or more if like to do so. 2. Next line the paratha that's smeared with sauces with the salad ingredients. Place about 4-5 pieces sauteed chicken per paratha, drizzle drops of sauces if you prefer and wrap them. Finally, fold the wrap with a wax paper to keep them secure.Enjoy!
- Adding cold water to the flour while kneading will result in crispy flaky soft paratha.
- Overstuffing the parathas will not help them to wrap up well. So, it's wise to eyeball the stuffing.
- You may replace the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour or even ready-made tortillas but the roll won't taste similar to the street food rolls.
- You may alter the quantity of spices to saute the chicken according to your taste preference.
- The sauteed chicken can be prepared well ahead of time and stored for up to 7 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- They taste best when served hot.
- The recipe can be made kid-friendly by skipping the green chilies and the green chili sauce.
- It's important to saute the chicken and make it into a dry consistency, otherwise the flatbread will become soggy.
- Before rolling the dough smear the rolling pin with little oil and also brush the surface where you plan to roll the dough with few drops of oil. This will result in a smooth rolling.