The home-made fish finger sandwich is so easy to make and taste just awesome. Filling, appetizing and delicious!
Home-made Fish Finger Sandwich Recipe
The Home-made fish finger sandwich with pickled banana pepper rings is so tasty, filling and very easy to make.
A perfect to-go sandwich for a busy lifestyle or a lazy weekend. Equally loved by both kids!
What are Fish Finger Sandwich
A Fish Finger Sandwich is a sandwich containing breaded deep fried crispy fish fingers.
A famous British comfort food that’s available almost everywhere in Britain and loved by the rest of the world too. A dash of mayonnaise, tartare sauce or ketchup is often added for extra flavors, few people even add leaves like lettuce, rocket or baby spinach.
Though originally the British didn’t add any fillings at all! Nothing goes wrong with a perfect fish finger sandwich!
How do you cook the perfect fish finger
Cooking perfect fish finger is a breeze. Here’s why:
- It requires only a few ingredients.
- It’s a quick recipe.
Cooking perfect fish fingers also involve a few vital steps:
*Choosing the perfect fish for the recipe:
All white fishes work wonderfully well. And a few give ultimate results like:
*The Breaded Coating:
Coating the fish pieces with the ultimate breaded coating becomes so much easy when you set up a mini assembly line on your working surface. (refer the stepwise pictures).
All-purpose flour, beaten eggs, and herbs mixed with regular breadcrumbs are used to form the perfect coating.
*The way you Fry the coated fish fingers matters:
Always fry them over medium-low heat for the lovely golden color. It’s also easier to control the temperature that way.
Frying them over high heat will lead to darker color coating.
Flash frying works too if you own a deep frying machine go ahead & flash fry your fish fingers.
Click here to know more about fish fingers and how to cook them the right way.
How do you make a Fish Finger Sandwich
- Marinate the fish with a few basic spices.
- Prepare your assembly line.
- Coat the fish sticks with flour, eggs & breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry your fish fingers until lightly golden and crispy.
- Line the inside your favorite sandwich bread (We used Ciabatta)
- Let your imagination run wild & fill your sandwich with sauces like ketchup, mayonnaise or tartare sauce. greens like baby spinach, rocket or lettuce & your favorite pickle ( We added pickled banana pepper rings).
Check out these awesome Filling ideas
if you have some fantastic ideas to dish out do write in the comments section below, will love hearing from you!
Tartar, Ketchup, Mayonnaise.
Baby spinach, rocket, lettuce.
Wafer sliced baby radishes, pickled Banana pepper rings or any pickle of your choice.
Check out the awesome Bread options:
*Sour Dough Bread.
*Regular white or whole wheat bread.
What to serve with a fish finger sandwich
You can serve chips, fried peppers (our very favorite) and chilled beer with Fish finger sandwich. We love these combos!
But, if you want to choose some healthier options then a plate full of green salad, sauteed peas, crunchy celery sticks, or a plate full of roasted seasonal veggies would be your best bet. A healthy side helps balance the carbohydrate and calorie-laden deep fried fish finger sandwich beautifully.
How many calories in Fish Finger sandwich?
A deep fried fish finger sandwich contains 431 calories in total. For this sandwich, I deep fried the fish with a generous amount of crunchy breadcrumbs coating.
Are fish fingers bad for you?
Well, anything consumed in moderation is not bad and fish fingers or a fish finger sandwich is no exception! If you balance the carbohydrates and the fats in the fish fingers with a plate full of healthy sides then you are all set for a balanced nutritious meal.
It’s always a good choice and a wise one too to make your own fish fingers at home with this recipe, that way you will ensure that your fish fingers contain more fish and less coating sans preservatives!
Step Wise Method To Prepare Home-made Fish Finger Sandwich With Pickled Banana Pepper Rings
How to make the Fish fingers:
- Step 1: Wash clean and pat dry the Fish fillet with a kitchen towel. It should be completely dry.
Step 2: Slice the Fish fillet into 2 inches lengthwise pieces.
Step 3: Marinate the fish slices with cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder & salt.
Step 4: The assembly line is assembled on the countertop. Take all purpose flour in a dry bowl, 2 eggs briskly whisked in another bowl and spiced ( breadcrumbs in the third bowl.
Step 5: When the assembly line is ready to take one fish finger dust it with all-purpose flour first. Then, dip it in the egg batter and finally give it a good roll on the spiced breadcrumbs mixture.
It should be evenly coated without any gaps.
- Step 6: Deep fry them in a heavy bottomed pan until lightly golden and crispy. Set aside on a plate
How to prepare a quick tartar sauce:
- Step 1: Take a few capers, chop them and set aside.
Step 2: In a bowl add mayonnaise, Dijon mustard paste, chopped c, pers, and pickled baby dills. Whisk together to make a sauce.
Note: Adding Tartar sauce is totally optional! If you do not have the ingredients handy just go ahead and enjoy your sandwich with your favorite sauce. But, tartar sauce does add a lot of taste to the sandwich & we love it!
How to assemble the Fish finger Sandwich with Pickled banana pepper rings:
- Step 1: Take a loaf of Ciabatta and slice it into 3″ long slices (refer the pictures) or your favorite bread.
Step 2: Slather a good amount of tartar sauce and start layering your sandwich with lettuce, the home-made fish fingers, wafer thin slices of purple baby radishes (optional) & pickled banana pepper rings. Top it with more tartar sauce if you like!
- Step 3: Enjoy your home-made delicious fish finger sandwich and don’t blame your hubby for dropping crumbs all over the floor
Home-made Fish Finger Sandwich with Pickled Banana Pepper RingsPrint Recipe Pin Rate
The Fish Fingers
- 1.12 lbs Pollock Fish (Any white fish of your choice)
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- ½ tbsp Ginger Powder
- ½ tbsp Garlic Powder
- Salt (to taste) (to taste)
- ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup regular breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp dry parsley flakes
- 1 tbsp dry basil flakes
- ½ litre Canola Oil (for frying)
Tartar Sauce: (OPTIONAL)
- 1 Ciabatta bread (any bread of your choice)
- Tartar sauce (optional)
- Deep Fried Fish fingers
- Purple baby radishes made into wafer thin slices (Optional)
- Pickles banana pepper rings (Optional)
How to make the Fish Fingers
- Wash, clean and completely pat dry the pollock fillet with the help of a kitchen towel. Next, trim the fillet into nine 2-3″ slices lengthwise. Set aside.
- Marinate the fish fingers with cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder & salt. Set aside.
- In the meantime prepare the mini assembly line and keep the all-purpose flour, briskly whisked eggs & spiced regular bread crumbs ready in 3 separate bowls. (refer to the stepwise pictures).
- Take one Fish finger dust it with all-purpose flour, then dunk it in the whisked egg batter and give it a generous coat of the spiced breadcrumbs. Repeat with all 9 pieces of fish fingers. Set aside.
- Deep fry them over medium-high heat until lightly golden and crispy
How to make the Tartar Sauce
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, dijon mustard, chopped capers & chopped pickled baby cucumbers. The tartar sauce is ready.
How to assemble the Sandwich
- Slice the Ciabatta bread into two slices ( 3″ lengthwise) and slather a generous amount of tartar sauce or any other sauce.
- Next line with a piece of lettuce, fish fingers and top it with pickled banana pepper rings, wafer thin slices of purple baby radishes and some more sauce (if you like)! Place the other piece of Ciabatta on top.
- Now Enjoy !!!
- You may use any bread you want to.
- Use your favorite sauces, it doesn’t have to be tartar sauce.
- Always fry your fish fingers over medium-high heat, this will ensure a soft juicy fish inside and a crispy layer outside with a lovely golden color.
- The fillings are totally optional, choose your favorite ones!
- Once the sandwiches are ready, eat them immediately to avoid soggy bread or not so crispy fish fingers.
Pin it for later!