These crispy home-made fish fingers are so easy to make! Once you try this quick & simple fish stick recipe who will quit buying them from the store. These are so BIG on flavors.
Perfect crispy home-made fish finger recipe is one of the best ways to make your kids eat more fish. They will even enjoy the process of making these wonderfully crispy fish sticks at home!
And when you have a little helper around things can become pretty interesting & tasty too 🙂
Team these home-made crispy fish sticks with sauteed peas, a simple salad or baked potato wedges & your kids will love you for this fantastic quick and simple meal.
This crispy home-made fish finger recipe is well worth every try and your time. This is why you should try making them :
*They are a simple & quick fix meal.
*They are oh-so-tasty!
*Kids and older adults absolute favorite.
*They are a perfect snack too.
*Super apt. for kids lunch boxes.
*A perfect party appetizer that’s so easy to make.
How Do You Make the perfect Fish Fingers?
Making perfect fish fingers at home is not at all difficult, in fact, it’s easier then you think it to be.
A perfect fish finger constitutes of two very important things :
* A Juicy & soft fish inside the crispy breaded coating.
* A breaded coating that’s insanely crispy!
To achieve the above parameters in full swing you need to create a crispy coating. You have to set up a mini assembly line (refer to the stepwise method pictures).
Dust the fish sticks with all-purpose flour, shake off the excess flour, dunk them into the batter of beaten eggs, roll them on a generous bed of breadcrumbs and deep fry them.
If you want you can even bake your fish sticks instead of deep-frying them. Just don’t forget to spray oil on the coated fish sticks before baking them!
And if you too are a gorgeous golden crumb coat freak just like me then I tell you just one simple thing – Fry the fish sticks over medium-low heat!
How do you pan fry fish fingers?
You can certainly pan fry your fish fingers to escape the deep frying part. In fact, pan frying will give you the best of both worlds: The deep fried version and the baked version!
Heat up your favorite pan over medium-low heat. Add about 2 tablespoons canola oil and fry your fish fingers in batches (both sides) until done!
Pan Fry Pros:
Less oil = Guilt-free eating!
Pan Fry Cons:
As less oil is used so the crumb coated fish sticks may not achieve the lovely golden color from all sides.
If you are not too obsessed with the golden color you are good to go with the above method!
Which Fish Should you use for home-made crispy fish fingers?
You could use fishes like:
We used Pollock for this recipe, fresh and wild caught!
What can you serve with crispy home-made fish fingers or Fish sticks?
You could serve your home-made fish sticks with either a simple lettuce tomato salad, baked potato wedges or simply munch them as is with a generous drizzle of mayo, ketchup or tartare sauce.
Kids enjoy crispy fish sticks with sauteed peas, fries, or simply with ketchup!
If you want you can also fix a quick wrap with your delicious home-made fish fingers!
To get some ideas you may check out this gorgeous Chicken Wrap recipe that I made recently!
The possibilities are endless trim them according to your meal needs!
Can you freeze Fish Fingers?
Of course, you can freeze the uncooked fish fingers for 1 month. Trim the fish wedges marinate them with the herbs and spices.
Place them in a ziplock bag and freeze them.
The day you decide to serve, just take them out from the freezer, thaw them and crumb coat and fry! Once they are deep fried it’s better to serve them hot.
How do you make home-made fish fingers or Fish Sticks? Step Wise Method:
Step 1. Wash clean and pat dry the Pollock fish or any white fish fillet with the help of a kitchen towel.
Step 2: Trim them into 2″ lengthwise wedges.
Step 3: Marinate the Fish sticks with salt, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder.
Step 4: Prepare the Assembly line. Crack & beat 2 large eggs in a bowl, set aside. Take all-purpose flour in another bowl, set aside.
Take regular breadcrumbs in a separate bowl & mix Italian seasoning or basil & parsley flakes, old bay seasoning (optional), cayenne pepper & salt, set aside.
Step 5: How to assemble the coating or how to coat the fish sticks?
Take one marinated fish stick, dust it with all-purpose flour, then dunk it in the beaten egg batter until it’s evenly coated.
Finally roll it over the bread crumbs until evenly coated, set aside on a plate.
Step 6: Deep Fry them over medium-low heat until golden and crisp.
Step 7: Enjoy!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe from this blog, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it! Hearing from you is what makes my Day!
Perfect Crispy Home-made Fish Finger Recipe | Home-made Fish Sticks RecipePrint Recipe Pin Rate
For the Fish Fingers Marinate:
For the Crumb Coating:
- 2 large whole eggs.
- 1 cup or more regular breadcrumbs.
- ½ cup all purpose flour.
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning or 1 teaspoon each dried basil or parsley flakes.
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper.
- 1 teaspoon old bay seasoning (optional)
- Salt (to taste)
For Deep Frying:
- How to Marinate The Fish sticks: 1. Wash, clean and pat dry the pollock Fillet with the help of a clean kitchen towel. They should be completely free of water.2. Cut them into 2″ long wedges or fingers. Set aside.3. Add the lemon juice, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and the salt and leave it to marinate whilst you fix your mini assembly line. How to crumb coat the fish fingers: 1. Set 3 separate bowls.2. Crack and beat 2 large eggs in one bowl. Set aside. Keep the all-purpose flour ready in another bowl.3. Take the regular breadcrumbs, add the Italian seasoning, or the dried basil/parsley flakes, the cayenne pepper and salt to taste. Mix thoroughly. Set aside. Now the assembly line is ready.4. Take one marinated fish finger and dust it with the flour first, shaking off excess flour. Next, dunk it into the beaten egg batter. And finally, roll it on the bed of breadcrumbs until evenly coated. Repeat with the remaining fish fingers. Set aside.How to deep fry the fish fingers: 1. Take about ½ litre of canola oil in a deep bottomed saucepan. Heat the oil over medium-low heat.2. Drop little bread crumbs in the oil to test if it’s hot enough. If the breadcrumbs turn golden and float up towards the surface this means that the oil is hot enough and ready for frying the fish fingers.3. Dip 4-5 pieces of fish fingers and fry them until golden. Remove them on a separate plate. Repeat with the remaining crumb coated fish fingers.4. Serve immediately and enjoy!
*Any white fish tastes best. *The same recipe can be altered as per your needs - shallow fry them, bake them or even pan fry them. All these methods work. *Do not over fry, the golden color will turn darker and the coating will become stiff. *The white fishes get cooked fast, so keep an eye when you fry them. *This crumb coating and cooking method will guarantee a crispy coating provided you eat them immediately. *The uncooked and marinated fish freezes well for 1 month. Just thaw, coat and fry. *The fish should remain soft and juicy inside the coating, this is the key for a delicious fish finger recipe that soft and juicy from inside and crispy from outside. *Let the oil become hot enough before tipping in the fish sticks. *Fry them over medium-high heat.
PIN IT FOR LATER!