Instant Pot Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff recipe is big on flavors and get’s done under 30 minutes. Loaded with juicy chicken, egg noodles, mushrooms, sour cream and cream cheese, this Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff will make a quick and easy dinner any day!
Check other easy Instant Pot Recipes!
Table Of Contents
Chicken Stroganoff Instant Pot
Today’s Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff with egg noodles and cream cheese is all made in one-pot, comfort food at it’s best! The seasonings and the dairy are the secret to build an outstanding stroganoff sauce that’ll make you lick the last bit from your bowl 😀
So, let’s make the Best Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff ever!
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements at the bottom of the post. The list below is just a reference.
- Chicken: Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs works well. We used frozen thawed chicken breasts.
- Egg Noodles: Weigh them for accurate measurement.
- Mushrooms: Baby Bella Mushrooms is what we chose and diced them into half. You can also use white or cremini mushrooms.
- Aromatic: Onion and garlic. If you are in a hurry you can use onion & garlic powders too. Read Notes for details at the bottom of the post.
- Seasonings: Paprika, Dijon Mustard (yellow mustard), black pepper powder, red pepper flakes (for a slight kick). We love seasonings in this recipe and they boost the recipe with outstanding flavors.
- Worcestershire Sauce: A must in this recipe, don’t miss it.
- White Wine: We prefer these crisp wines – Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris, Pinot Grigio, Pinot Blanc.
- Liquid: Use either chicken stock from the can or dilute Better than bouillon in warm water. We used the later.
- Dairy: Sour Cream and Cream Cheese. You’ll lick the last drop of the sauce. So So good!
- Roux: All Purpose Flour and Butter.
- Any Neutral Oil.
- Garnish: Fresh chopped parsley.
Tips & Tricks
- Saute the Chicken first: We love to boost the flavor of the chicken by marinating it while we are done prepping the other ingredients and than sauteing it to build that extraordinary taste. Every single bite will reward you with tender chicken.
- Quick Pressure Release: By all means perform a quick pressure release (QPR). If you delay the egg noodles will over cook and fall apart. You need to proceed fast with this recipe as egg noodles are delicate.
- White Wine: Use it for massive flavor boost.
- To store it or not: The Instant Pot Chicken Mushroom stroganoff with egg noodles will not hold well if stored and re-heated later. The egg noodles are delicate and when they are re-heated they tend to fall apart. This recipe tastes best when made fresh every time.
- The secret to Best Flavors: You guys! the huge flavors lies in the seasonings, the Worcestershire sauce, the white wine and the cream cheese. Don’t miss any! This is the Best Instant Pot Stroganoff you’ll ever make!
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements + Video at the bottom of the post.
Step #1 Saute Chicken
Rub the cubed chicken with paprika, pepper powder & mustard. Saute the chicken until lightly golden around the edges. Use the Saute Function and keep it on Normal heat setting.
Step #2 Prepare Roux
Now, saute the garlic for 30 seconds and add the onion and saute until they being to become limp. Reduce the heat to LOW.
Add the flour and stir briskly, saute for 30 seconds. This will dissipate the raw smell of the flour. Pour white wine and stir briskly to form a lump free roux. You’ll have a thick lump free roux in no time.
Step #3 Add Stock
Add the stock bit by bit and stir briskly to incorporate the roux uniformly. There should not be any lumps at all.
Throw in the seasonings and de-glaze the pot very well by scraping the sides and the bottom of the pot with the help of a spatula. There should not be any food particles stuck at the bottom of the pot. This will prevent the BURN error.
Step #4 Pressure Cook Egg Noodles
Cancel the SAUTE function. Add the mushrooms, than dump the egg noodles spreading them to evenly layer. Press down the egg noodles gently with the help of the spatula.
Layer the sauteed chicken on top of the egg noodles. Pressure cook on HIGH for just 2 minutes followed by a quick release (QPR). You need to move fast now as the egg noodles are delicate and gets over cooked fast.
Immediately turn off the Instant Pot.
Step #5 Mix the dairy & serve
Add the dairy and gently incorporate with the cooked noodles. Once done, bring out the steel insert from the Instant Pot base and keep it on the counter top. This is to prevent the egg noodles from getting over cooked with the residual heat that’s trapped in the base of the Instant Pot.
Garnish with chopped parsley and dig in 😀
Instant Pot Chicken Mushroom StroganoffPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 1 pound chicken (**boneless, skinless breasts or thighs and cubed into 1 inch pieces.)
- 8 oz Mushrooms (**baby bella or cremini or white mushrooms halved.)
- 8 oz egg noodles
- 1 cup onion (**roughly chopped, use yellow onion)
- 1/2 tbsp garlic
- 2 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 5 tbsp Unsalted Butter (**divided into 2 tbsp & 3 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (**or any neutral oil)
- 1 tsp Paprika Powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard paste
- 2.5 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
For Marinating Chicken
- 1/2 tsp Paprika Powder
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard paste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 2.5 cups chicken stock (**or 1.5 tbsp better than bouillon diluted in 2.5 c water.)
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 2 tbsp Parsley (**fresh and chopped finely)
- Dice the boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs into 1 inch cubes and than rub them with all the ingredients mentioned above in the "For Marinating Chicken" section. Allow the chicken to marinate while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff?
- Set the Instant Pot on SAUTE function & keep it on NORMAL heat setting. Add 2 tbsp butter + 2 tbsp oil and saute the chicken until lightly golden around the edges. Set them aside.
- In the same pot add the rest of the butter & saute the garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add the onion and saute until the onion begins to become limp. Immediately reduce the heat to LOW settings,
- Now, add the flour and stir briskly. Saute for about 1 min. Pour the white wine and mix everything briskly with the help of your spatula scraping the bottom of the pot.
- Now, add the chicken stock bit by bit in 2-3 batches. Keep stirring everything in the pot every time to add the stock and keep mixing briskly so that the roux is uniformly incorporated without any lumps.
- Add all the seasonings mentioned above in the "Seasonings" section and mix well. Also de-glaze the pot very well with the help of your spatula scraping the sides and the bottom of the pot. This will prevent the BURN error. There should not be any food particles stuck at the bottom of the pot.
- CANCEL the SAUTE function and add the diced mushrooms. Now add the egg noodles and layer them in a single layer. DO NOT mix or stir anything in the pot. Gently press down the egg noodles with the help of your spatula.
- Now, layer the sauteed chicken on top of the noodles in a single layer. DO NOT stir or mix anything in the pot.
- Cover the lid. SEAL the valve and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 2 minutes.
- Once the pressure cooking cycle is over do a quick pressure release (QPR) manually by moving the valve from the SEALING to the VENTING position. Once the metal pin drops open the Instant Pot.
- Turn off the Instant Pot immediately.
- Now add the sour cream and cream cheese both at room temperature and mix gently with the cooked noodles. If you feel the sauce is thicker you can add an additional 1/3 cup water or stock (not mentioned in the ingredients above).
- Remove the steel insert immediately from the base of the Instant Pot and keep it on the counter top. This will prevent the delicate egg noodles from getting over-cooked with the trapped heat from the base of the Instant Pot.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately for best noodle texture. Enjoy!
- STORING TIPS: We would highly recommend that you make this dish fresh and consume it. Egg noodles are delicate and they always become awfully tender when stored in the fridge and re-heated later. But if you do not mind over-cooked noodles you may store it for 4 days in the fridge. The sauce thickens as it cools down and the noodles clump up in the fridge.
- RE-HEATING TIPS: Re-heat this one-pot chicken stroganoff with few splashes of water or stock. This will revive the noodles to extent and shall bring back the solidified sauce. Re-heat in the microwave oven.
- FREEZING TIPS: We don’t have any! 😀
- Liquid: Always keep 1/3 cups water or stock handy while you mix the sour cream and cream cheese with the noodles. If you love more sauce add the liquid in and gently mix with the noodles.
- Can you use Frozen Chicken? Yes, we used just that. Thaw the frozen skinless and boneless chicken first and than follow the recipe as such.
- Seasonings: We love the set of seasonings we mentioned. They always reward us with an outstanding Instant Pot Stroganoff that our friends always rave about! However, you can certainly experiment.
- White Wine is it mandatory? Nope, it’s not mandatory but it’ll certainly make the best pot of Stroganoff.
- Expert Tip: Follow the recipe to the T.