This Instant Pot Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Copycat tastes just like the Olive Garden’s version. Loaded with Italian sausages, potatoes, baby kale & half and half this is the best Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana Soup that you’ll ever make.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Zuppa Toscana Instant Pot
- 2 Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Instant Pot
- 3 Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana Recipe Ingredients
- 4 Zuppa Toscana – Foodies Terminal Tips
- 5 Browse Instant Pot Recipes For FREE form FOODIES TERMINAL!
- 6 How to make Instant Pot Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Coycat?
- 7 How long is Zuppa Toscana good for?
- 8 Can Zuppa Toscana be frozen?
- 9 Can you reheat Zuppa Toscana?
- 10 How to thicken Zuppa Toscana?
- 11 Is Zuppa Toscana Gluten Free?
- 12 Does Zuppa Toscana have dairy?
- 13 Can you make Zuppa Toscana with spinach?
- 14 Instant Pot Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Copycat
Zuppa Toscana Instant Pot
Today’s Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana soup is one such one-pot wonder that gets ready under 30 mins with fewer ingredients that you’ll love.
Though “Zuppa Toscana” literally translates to “Tuscan Soup”, yet you’ll be mistaken if you imagine the traditional Tuscan Style Soup.
This popular Copycat Olive Garden Recipe is similar to the famous USA restaurant chain Olive Garden & not the Italian authentic version of Tuscan Soup.
It’s loaded with crumbled Italian sausages, baby kale, tender un-peeled potatoes, a good does of half and half (for a super rich soup use heavy cream), a kick of red chili flakes and sprinkles of crushed black pepper.
A fantastic comfort food that’ll warm your soul all 365 days of the year.
Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Instant Pot
Today’s Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana Instant Pot recipe will make you lick even the last drop from the soup bowl.
It’s damn good and even better than Olive Garden’s version.
Do you know that it’s also economical and easy?
Umm, we love this brothy Zuppa Toscana soup but if you prefer thicker soups thicken it with 1 tbsp corn starch slurry (Read NOTES).
You can even smash a few tender potatoes with the back of a laddle to give the soup a subtle thick body.
I have tried this pressure cooker Zuppa Toscana recipe with both Bratwurst Sausage and Italian Sausage (mild).
Both the sausages work great.
Same goes with the unpeeled potatoes, you can use russet potatoes, Yukon Gold Potatoes.
However, Idaho potatoes tend to mush up pretty quickly so I avoid using them in this Olive Garden Copycat Zuppa Toscana Soup.
You may use bacon in the recipe, crispy bacon totally face-lifts the whole Zuppa Toscana Soup.
I use it too but not in this recipe because I ran out of Bacon 😀 yes, I missed bacon badly but it was not that awful without it 😀
Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana Recipe Ingredients
So what will you need exactly to make this Olive Garden Copycat Soup recipe work?
Here’s the very basic list:
- Sausage: Italian Sausage (mild). Bratwurst Sausages are a good substitute too.
- Potatoes: Un-peeled and diced (you can peel them too).
- Kale: Chopped preferably baby kale. Sub for Kale is baby spinach.
- Onion: Chopped
- Garlic: Finely chopped or minced.
- Spices: Chili Flakes, Dried Oregano, crushed black pepper.
- Stock: Vegetable stock or Chicken Stock.
- Half and Half Cream. You can cut back the calories by adding whole milk and you can just forget about calories and add heavy cream for a rich soup 😀
- Olive Oil.
Zuppa Toscana – Foodies Terminal Tips
Browse Instant Pot Recipes For FREE form FOODIES TERMINAL!
Get access to a huge collection of AMAZING Instant Pot Recipes.
How to make Instant Pot Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Coycat?
Step #1 Brown the Sausage first
On SAUTE kept at HIGH first brown the Sausages really well.
This boosts the flavor of the Zuppa Toscana Soup.
If adding Bacon fry it first and than brown the sausages in the bacon dripping.
Step #2 Mix in aromatics & potatoes
Next, add the onion and garlic and saute for 1 min. Add chili flakes and oregano, mix well.
Add the washed and diced un-peeled potatoes.
Pour in stock and de-glaze the pot really well so that there are absolutely no bits and crumbs stuck at the bottom of the steel pot.
Step #3 Pressure Cook & add cream
CANCEL the SAUTE and close the lid of the pot, seal the valve and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 5 minutes followed by another 5 mins of NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE.
Release the rest of the pressure manually, open the pot. TURN OFF the Instant Pot.
Add the half and half or full fat milk or heavy cream and mix well.
Step #4 Add Kale, Serve hot!
Add the chopped kale (only leaves). Mix well.
Allow the Zuppa Toscana Soup to rest for 2-3 minutes until the Kale wilts a bit.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
How long is Zuppa Toscana good for?
Zuppa Toscana is good for 3-4 days in the fridge when stored in airtight containers.
Can Zuppa Toscana be frozen?
Zuppa Toscana can be frozen without the cream and the kale in it. Cream based soups tend to separate when frozen hence, I prefer not to freeze cream based or dairy based soups.
The potatoes tend to mush up too while re-heating the thawed soup and leaves a bad texture all together.
Can you reheat Zuppa Toscana?
Yes, you can reheat Zuppa Toscana either in the microwave oven or on the stove top.
The Kale will become softer when reheated.
How to thicken Zuppa Toscana?
Thicken Zuppa Toscana by adding corn starch or mashing a few tender potatoes with the back of a laddle.
Is Zuppa Toscana Gluten Free?
Yes, Zuppa Toscana is gluten free.
Does Zuppa Toscana have dairy?
Yes, Zuppa Toscana contains dairy.
Can you make Zuppa Toscana with spinach?
Yes, you can make Zuppa Toscana with baby spinach instead of baby kale. It’s a good substitute.
Love Stews and Soups? Why don’t you try these AMAZING easy Instant Pot soups and stews from FOODIES TERMINAL?
Instant Pot Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana CopycatPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 3 Links Italian Sausage, spicy or regular (or Bratwurst Sausage )
- 2 medium potatoes un-peeled and diced into chunks (approximately 2 cups diced)
- 1 small onion roughly chopped (approximately 1/2 cup heaped)
- 2 cloves garlic minced or finely chopped (approximately 1/2 tbsp)
- 3 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup half & half (lesser richer version use full fat milk & for richer soup add heavy cream.)
- 2 cups chopped Kale (use only leaves)
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp dried red chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- crushed black pepper according to taste
- Salt (to taste)
- Begin the recipe by removing the sausage meat from the casings with the help of a kitchen scissors.
- Set the Instant Pot on SAUTE and keep it at HIGH or NORMAL. Add oil.
- When the oil becomes moderately hot gently release the ground sausage meat into the hot well and brown the meat really well. Stir often. Things might get sticky but that's quiet normal, we'll be de-glazing the pot really well later. If HIGH SAUTE setting is too much heat to control than brown the sausage at NORMAL SAUTE setting.
- Once, the sausage is nicely browned add the chopped onion and garlic and saute for 30-60 seconds, scrap the bottom of the steel pot as you do this.
- Add the seasonings like chili flakes, oregano and Italian seasoning. Give everything a very good mix.
- Now, add the washed and diced potatoes and mix well with the rest of the ingredients in the pot.
- Next, add the stock, salt and de-glaze the pot really well with the help of a spatula so that there are absolutely no bits and crumbs stuck at the bottom of the pot. Also season with crushed black pepper.
- CANCEL the SAUTE mode and close the lid of the Instant Pot. Seal the valve and press the PRESSURE COOK button and set it on HIGH for 5 minutes.
- When the cooking cycle is over the Instant Pot will begin to beep. Wait for 5 minutes of Natural Pressure release (NPR) and than release the rest of the pressure manually. Open the Pot. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add the heavy cream or half and half or full fat milk. Stir well to incorporate.
- Now, add the washed, cleaned and chopped kale leaves and mix well.
- Wait for 2-3 minutes before serving. The residual heat will slowly wilt the Kale. They will still be left with a good amount of crunch and not turn completely soggy.
- Serve immediately and Don't forget to ENJOY! 😀
How to make Zuppa Toscana on the Stove Top?
- The recipe will remain the exact same. Use a dutch pot or a heavy bottomed pot to cook the soup on the stove top.
- Use high heat to brown the sausage and than reduce the heat to medium and follow with the rest of the recipe.
- Also, follow uptp STEP 7 as such and than cover the pot and allow the potatoes cook through until tender and buttery. It should take you around 10-15 mins.
- Turn off the heat and than follow the rest of the recipe as such. Serve hot and enjoy!
- Measuring Units used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.
- For richer Zuppa Toscana Soup use heavy cream.
- Best Sausages for Zuppa Toscana: Italian Sausage (mild or spicy) and Bratwurst is a good sub for Italian sausages.
- Want a lighter Zuppa Toscana? Sub the half and half with full fat milk.
- For low Carb Zuppa sub the potatoes with cauliflower chunks.
- This recipe is Gluten Free.
- Avoid Idaho potatoes. They turn mushy quickly.
- Best Potatoes for Zuppa Toscana: Yukon Gold and Russet potatoes.
- Want a thicker soup? Add a cornstarch slurry. Mix 1 tbsp cornstarch with 3 tbsp half n half or heavy cream or milk (whatever you choose to use) and add it to the soup just after pressure cooking. Simmer on LOW (SAUTE settings) for 2-3 mins until the soup thickens a bit. Than, add the cream.
- Want a creamy soup? Mush up a few tender potatoes with the back of a laddle. This will add a creamy body to the Zuppa Toscana. Originally this soup is served BROTHY & not thick.
- Do not cook the soup after adding the cream or the Kale.
- You can sub the Kale with baby spinach. However, Spinach wilts faster than Kale so serve the soup accordingly.
- If you want you can sub the chicken stock with regular water.
- This soup tastes BEST when served hot and freshly cooked.
- STORING TIPS; Lasts for 3-4 days in the fridge in airtight containers.
- Re-Heating Tips: Microwave oven or on the stove top. The Kale will become soft and the potatoes might mush up a bit.
- Do not use DINOSAUR KALE.