Instant Pot Popcorn is perhaps the easiest thing to make in your Instant Pot. These Instant Pot Kettle Corn tastes much better, are healthier and you can make them your own by tossing them with your favorite seasoning. Just 2 ingredient Popcorn in Instant Pot with handy tips.
Table Of Contents
Popcorn in Instant Pot
Popcorn in pressure cooker is very easy to make in fact it’s one of the easiest recipes that a beginner cook can try anytime.
Imagine hot popcorn straight away from the pot on to your plate with your favorite seasoning.
They will be gone in no time, so make more than you really want 😀
Instant Pot Kettle Corn is a much healthier snack that tastes so good but it can get expensive when bought from the store.
However, you’ll be surprised how inexpensive these Instant Pot Popcorn are.
With a 1 lb and $ 1 popcorn packet you can make approximately 8-10 pots full of popcorn in a 6 quart Instant Pot.
And you can save yourself from those super tempting, unhealthy microwavable popcorn packets from the store.
They are gross packed with unhealthy stuffs! Do yourself a favor & avoid them by all means!
Hey, don’t miss the tips otherwise those popcorn won’t POP 😀 😀
Today’s Instant Pot Kettle Corn recipe is super simple.
I didn’t use any extra flavorings, just tossed the pressure cooker popcorn with regular table salt.
However, you can get creative and add your own favorite seasoning.
- Coconut oil or any neutral oil of your choice. We prefer coconut oil because of it’s high smoke point.
- Seasoning Salt.
- Coconut Oil
- Vegetable oil
- Canola Oil
- Corn oil
- Olive Oil and Yes, you can make Instant Pot Popcorn in Olive Oil.
Tips & Tricks
- Pre-heat the Instant Pot very well. You can do this by pressing the SAUTE and setting it on HIGH. When the inner pot of the instant pot is hot enough a HOT message will pop on the little screen.
- Add oil only when you see the “HOT” message on the little screen of the Instant Pot.
- Allow the oil to become really HOT. After adding the oil to the pot wait for at least 5-6 minutes before you add the popcorn.
- Do not add too much popcorn at a time. Avoid over crowding the pot by all means. It’s better to begin with 1/4 or 1/3 cup popcorn for a 6 or 8 quart Instant Pot and go upto 1/2 cup maximum.
- Saute the popcorn in hot oil for 2-3 mins. This ensures an uniform poping of Instant Pot Popcorn.
- Do cover the Instant Pot with a lid. Let the magic happen 😀 Within 30-60 seconds you can see a spectacular scene of poping popcorn – POP, POP POPPPPP……
- Avoid using butter. It has a low smoke point and burns easily. You can always toss the hot popcorn with melted butter once they are done.
If you end up with any left over popcorn store them in a zip lock bag or in an airtight container.
Last for 1-1.5 months without becoming rancid.
I even store popcorn in individual size ziplock bags and carry them as after activity snack for my son.
He also loves them to carry it school for lunch.
Step #1 Pre-heat the Instant Pot very well
We’ll be making popcorn in Instant Pot using the SAUTE button and set at HIGH.
Once, you have set the SAUTE on HIGH you’ll see the “HOT” message appearing on the little screen of the Instant Pot.
Once you see the “HOT” message add oil and allow the oil to becoming really hot (3-4 minutes).
Step #2 Add the Popcorn and saute
Add either 1/4 cup or 1/3 cup popcorn in the hot oil and saute for 2-3 minutes so that all the popcorn are well coated with the hot oil.
Step #3 Cover and allow the Popcorn to pop
This step is very important, do not skip covering the pot.
Cover it using either the Instant Pot glass lid or any other glass lid that fits the Instant Pot.
A glass lid is highly recommended because you can see right through the lid once the popcorn are done popping. You’ll know when to stop & turn off the Instant Pot.
After about 30-60 seconds the popcorn will begin to pop and you’ll have a pot full of yummy hot popcorn.
Once, all the popcorn are done popping, open the lid. CANCEL the SAUTE mode and turn off the Instant Pot.
Season with regular table salt or Himalayan pink salt and serve hot.
Instant Pot PopcornPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 1/3 cup popcorn
- 2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil (Read NOTES)
- Salt (to taste)
- Set the Instant Pot on SAUTE and set it on HIGH. Allow the inner pot of the Instant Pot to become really hot.
- Once you see the HOT message on the little screen of the Instant Pot add the coconut oil and allow the coconut oil to becomes really hot. It should take about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the popcorn and saute for 2-3 minutes in the hot oil.
- Cover the Instant Pot with a glass lid and watch the popcorn pop. The frequency of popping will increase and than will slowly reduce. Once the popping is over turn off the Instant Pot immediately and open the lid. Toss the hot popcorn with salt or your favorite seasoning. Serve hot. Enjoy!
- Measuring Units used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.
- BEST OILS: Coconut oil, vegetable oil, canola oil, corn oil, olive oil.
- Foodies Terminal Pro Tip: Avoid Butter, it burns quickly. You can always flavor your popcorn with melted butter once the popcorn are ready. Toss them in melted butter for an uber intense butter flavor.
- VERY IMPORTANT: Allow the innner pot of the instant pot heat up very well. Do not add oil before the HOT message pops up on the screen. Your Popcorn won’t pop if the pot and the oil is not hot enough.
- Do not skip sauteing the popcorn in hot oil for about 2-3 minutes. This helps coat the popcorn in hot oil and as a result they pop very well.
- Do cover the Instant Pot. Cover it with any transparent lid that fits the pot. You don’t need to go and purchase a new Instant Pot glass lid, any pot/pan lid will work just fine.
- A glass lid is a must: Transparent lid will work as a window which will aloow you to see the popping popcorn. As a result you’ll know exactly when the popcorn stops popping and than you can turn off the Instant Pot immediately.
- Store leftover popcorn in an airtight container or ziplock bags.