Instant Pot Pork Chop Marsala get’s done under 30 minutes and makes a delicious quick and easy dinner any night. This Creamy Instant Pot Pork Marsala will reward you with juicy tender pork chops and extremely delicious sauce with mushrooms. Don’t miss the tips & Video.
Check out our huge collection of quick and easy Instant Pot Recipes!
Creamy Pork Marsala Instant Pot
We made this Instant Pot Pork Marsala with Pork Chops. However, you can also make Pork Tenderloin Marsala using the same recipe by slightly adjusting the ingredient amounts.
Today’s recipe is inspired from traditional Italian Marsala recipe and it contains cream. Whereas, a traditional and authentic Italian Marsala is made without cream. If you want to make the authentic Italian version skip the cream from the recipe. We totally love the creamy sauce!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements at the bottom of the post. The list below is just a reference.
- Pork Chops: We used boneless Loin center cut pork chops. So juicy and tender.
- Mushrooms: You can use Baby Bella, cremini or white mushrooms.
- Aromatics: Shallots & garlic. You can sub the shallot with yellow onion.
- Marsala Wine: An important ingredient. If you do not have handy use sherry or any dry white wine. Do not use red wine.
- Chicken stock: Better than Bouillon paste or cubes stirred in hot water makes an amazing stock with immense good flavor. You can also use regular chicken or vegetable stock.
- Dairy: Heavy whipping cream. If you want the traditional authentic Italian Marsala version skip using the cream. We love a creamy Marsala sauce. Totally Yum!
- Thickener: All-purpose flour.
- Seasonings: Parsley, Paprika, Black pepper powder and crushed black pepper.
- Cooking Fat: Olive oil and Butter.
Tips & Tricks
- Brown the Pork Chops: Dredge the pork chops in a simple flour seasonings mixture and than brown them both sides in the Instant Pot. This will help lock the juices and keep the meat incredibly tender & juicy! This will almost immediately elevate the taste of the finished Marsala recipe.
- Pork Chops cook time: Thin cut pork chops = 5 minutes high pressure / NPR 5 minutes. Thick cut pork chops (1/2 inch or 1/4 inch) = 10 minutes high pressure / NPR 10 minutes. We used thicker cut chops.
- Use shallots: The marsala will taste so good with shallots in it. The delicate sweet flavor of the shallots with a hint of sweetness goes so well with in this dish. Shallots, mushrooms & Marsala wine makes a super addictive sauce. If you can’t find shallots use yellow onion and same volume as shallots in the recipe.
- When to add the Cream: Add the cream always after the pressure cooking cycle is over. If you add it before the cream will always have a chance to curdle.
- Thickening the Sauce: We love to add flour as a sauce thickener. It adds a subtle creamy touch to the sauce without making it pasty. Whisk the flour into the cream and than add it to the sauce. Bring the sauce to a gentle simmer to thicken.
- Gluten Free Pork Marsala: To make this recipe gluten free sub the flour with corn starch. Dredge the pork chops with cornstarch and make a simple slurry with 1:1 cornstarch : water & add it to thicken the sauce. Cornstarch is naturally gluten free.
How to make Instant Pot Pork Chop Marsala?
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements + Video at the bottom of the post.
Step #1 Brown the pork chops
Pat dry the pork chops with kitchen tissue and set them aside. Whisk the flour with a few dashes paprika, parsley, black pepper powder and salt.
Dredge the pork chops on both sides nicely with the flour mixture.
Set the Instant Pot on Saute mode at High Heat, add oil and brown the flour dredged pork chops on both sides. This will help lock the juices and keep the pork meat extremely tender and juicy.
Step #2 Saute aromatics & de-glaze pot
In the same pot saute the shallots and garlic until the shallots become tender. Add salt to quicken the process.
Pour the marsala wine and stir briskly until the alcohol evaporates a bit. Than, pour the chicken stock and de-glaze the pot very well scraping the sides and the bottom of the pot with the help of a spatula.
This is to help loosen any stuck food particles, it’s an important step. Do not skip it. De-glazing the pot helps prevent the BURN error.
Step #3 Pressure cook pork chops
Now, add the sliced mushrooms. DO NOT stir. Arrange the pork chops on top of the mushrooms. DO NOT stir or mix. Cancel the SAUTE function.
Close the lid, seal the valve and Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes (1/2 inch thick pork chops) followed by 10 minutes natural pressure release and than release the rest of the pressure manually by moving the valve from the sealing to the venting position.
Step #4 Prepare the creamy Marsala sauce
Fish out the pressure cooked pork chops and set them aside. In the meantime, stir 1.5 tablespoons of the flour mixture into the heavy cream.
Make the cream slightly warm in the microwave oven. This will help dissolve the flour easily into the cream & also stabilize the cream.
Make sure to whisk the flour really well into the cream so that there are absolutely no flour lumps, otherwise the sauce will be grainy with specks of undissolved flour floating around.
Pour the flour cream mixture into the pot and stir to mix well. Hit the SAUTE mode and set it on low heat. Simmer the Marsala sauce stirring frequently until it thickens to your preferred consistency.
Step #5 Serve the pork chop marsala
Now, transfer back the pressure cooked pork chops into the pot, simmer them in the sauce for about 1 minute on low heat. Serve the pork chops hot with the creamy mushroom sauce drizzle all over. Enjoy!
What to serve with Pork Marsala?
You can serve the following the Pork Marsala:
- Mashed Potatoes.
- Simple spaghetti or pasta tossed in butter.
- Steamed Broccoli: A quick and easy side that goes well with Pork chops Marsala.
- Seasoned and steamed carrots: A fantastic quick side dish.
- Seasoned and steamed green beans: This makes a great healthy side.
Fridge: You can store the Instant Pot Pork Marsala for upto 5 days in the fridge in air tight containers.
The sauce will thicken slightly, but, as you re-heat the dish before serving the sauce will revive back it’s original consistency. You can also add splashes of stock or cream while re-heating the pork marsala.
FAQs – Instant Pot Pork Marsala
You can buy Marsala Wine from almost all major American Supermarkets like – Trader’s Joe, Kroger, Publix.
No, you cannot use balsamic vinegar instead of Marsala Wine.
You can thicken marsala sauce by adding 1-2 tablespoons flour or cornstarch made into a quick slurry by adding the same amount of water. We added flour as the marsala sauce thickener.
Instant Pot Pork Chop MarsalaPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 1.22 pound Boneless Pork Chops (**We used boneless loin center cut pork chops.)
- 8 ounce Baby Bella Mushrooms (**227 g. You can also use cremini or white mushrooms. Slice each mushroom into halves or 3 pieces.)
- 2 Shallots (**finely chopped. You can sub it with yellow onion.)
- 1 tbsp garlic (**minced)
- 1/2 cup Marsala Wine (**use either dry or sweet Marsala. )
- 1/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream (**slightly warmed up in the microwave oven.)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (**use 3/4 cups for more sauce. We used one better than bouillon cube diluted in hot water.)
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil (**light or extra light olive oil.)
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
For Dredging the Pork Chops
- 1.5 tbsp All-Purpose Flour (**we used the leftover flour mixture used for dredging the pork chops.)
- 1/4 cup Fresh Parsley (**finely chopped fresh flat leaf Italian Parsley.)
Dredge the pork chops
- Prepare the flour mixture: In a clean dry bowl add all the ingredients mentioned above in the “For Dredging the Pork Chops” section and whisk with a fork to mix well.
- Dredge the pork chops: Pat the pork chops both sides with the help of kitchen tissues and set them aside on a plate. Now, take a single pork chop and coat it both sides with the dry flour mixture. Shake off the excess coating and keep them on a dry plate. Repeat the process until you are done dredging all the pork chops.
Sear the Pork Chops
- Set the Instant Pot: Set the Instant Pot on SAUTE function and set it on HIGH heat settings.
- Sear the pork chops: Add oil & when the oil becomes moderately hot gently release the dredged pork chops and sear them both sides until the chops turn golden, Refer the photos and video. Set them aside.
Pressure cook Pork Chops Marsala
- Saute the aromatics: Use the same pot and the same settings. Add butter. Gently release the chopped shallots and garlic and saute them until the shallots turn soft.
- De-glaze Pot: Pour the Marsala wine and stir briskly, de-glaze the pot scraping the sides and the bottom of the pot with the help of a spatula. Allow the alcohol to evaporate a bit. Now, add the chicken stock and de-glaze the pot really well following the same technique. There should not be any stuck food particles. This will help prevent the BURN error.
- Pressure Cook Pork Chops: CANCEL the SAUTE function. Pressure cook Pork Chop Marsala: Now, throw in the sliced mushrooms and layer them in a single layer. DO NOT stir or mix. Lay the seared pork chops on top of the mushrooms in a single layer. DO NOT mix or stir. Close the lid seal the valve and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 10 minutes.
- Natural Pressure Release: Once, the pressure cooking cycle is over wait for Natural Pressure Release (NPR) for 10 minutes. Than, release the rest of the pressure manually by moving the valve from the sealing to the venting position. Open the lid carefully.
Prepare the creamy Marsala Sauce
- Fish out the pork chops: Fish out the Pressure cooked pork chops in a dry plate. We’ll be making the creamy marsala sauce now.
- Prepare the Thickener: Now, warm up the heavy whipping cream a few seconds in the microwave oven. Add 1.5 tablespoons flour into the cream, we used the left over flour mixture that we used for dredging the pork chops. Whisk the flour really well into the cream so that there are absolutely no lumps.
- Make the creamy marsala sauce: Now, add this cream flour mixture into the pot and stir to mix well. Hit back the SAUTE mode and set it on LOW heat settings. Simmer the sauce until it thickens to your preferred consistency.
- Pork Chops in the Sauce: Add back the pressure cooked pork chops into the creamy sauce and simmer for just 1 minutes. Serve hot and garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
- Love more sauce? Add 3/4 cups chicken stock instead of 1/2 cup.
- The sauce consistency: The consistency of the sauce should not very thick and gloopy. It should be a flowy consistency, yet not very thin. However, you can totally control the consistency of the creamy sauce and keep it the way you prefer.
- Secret to tender juicy pork chops? Dredge and Sear the chops on HIGH heat. This will help lock the moisture in the meat and keep it amazingly tender and so juicy. Yum!
- Thin cut Pork Chop Marsala Cook time: 5 minutes high pressure followed by 5 minutes natural pressure release. We used thick cut pork chops and hence, the cook time is more in this recipe.
- Best mushrooms for a Marsala recipe: Cremini, Baby Bella and White Mushrooms. You can use any of these varieties.