This Herbed White Bean and Sausage Stew is a great way to feed your family an easy, healthy, economical & delicious one pot meal. Make this Instant Pot Beans and sausage with dried Great Northern Beans & your favorite sausage under 30 mins. The best economical dinner recipe that the whole family will love.
Sausage and Beans Stew
You'll never eat canned beans again once you make this delicious Herbed White Bean and Sausage Stew.
This Instant Pot White Beans and Sausage is such a great One Pot meal to feed a large crowd or a big family.
You can stretch the dollar and still feed your family a nutrient rich meal that is both delicious & easy.
After all beans are super healthy.
They are a powerhouse of essential nutrients and the most economical food that you can cook in so many different ways like soups, stews, casseroles, baked dishes etc.
Today's recipe will yield you a Delicious bowl of nutritious white beans stewed with a few veggies & your favorite Sausage.
And you can enjoy it all 365 days a year with some crusty bread and cheese on the side.
I made the sausage stew with Bratwurst Sausages and Great Northern White Beans but you can use your favorite sausage like Italian, Andouille or smoked sausages.
What is Herbed White Beans and Sausage Stew?
Sausage and White Bean Stew is a hearty, filling & economical one pot meal that's made with Great Northern Beans, any sausage variety & a few veggies.
You can flavor this sausage stew with herbs of your choice.
This Herbed White Bean and Sausage Stew is a great way to feed a delicious meal to a large family or a huge crowd without breaking the bank.
Instant Pot White Beans and Sausage Ingredients
For this easy 30 mins recipe you'll need a few ingredients which you might already have in your pantry & fridge.
- Great Northern White Beans: I used dried beans and soaked them over night, you may directly make the recipe with dried beans but that will increase the cooking time. Canned beans are welcome too, they will make an even quicker meal.
- Sausage: I used Bratwurst Sausage. You may use Italian Sausage, Andouille Sausage or even smoked sausage. Use whatever you have in your fridge.
- Crushed tomatoes: From the can.
- Veggies: Chopped onion, carrots, celery (We ran out so did not use it), Leek (totally optional).
- Garlic: Chopped or minced.
- Hot Sauce: This is optional too but certainly gives the whole recipe a delicious face lift. Use it if you can and use any variety. We used Frank's hot sauce.
- Balsamic Vinegar: This is that secret ingredient that adds smokiness with a bit of tang to the recipe. It's a great flavor enhancer. Do use it and you will love the result 🙂
- Spices: Smoked Paprika & Cumin. Adds depth and earthiness. If you love rustic flavors do add them by all means.
- Oil: Olive oil.
- Liquid: Chicken Stock.
- Herbs: Fresh Thyme sprigs, bay leaf & rosemary sprig. If you do not have access to the fresh variety sub them with the dried herbs. Fresh herbs will give you the best flavors.
Summary: Over night soaked beans are a healthy choice as they are gut friendly & do not cause any stomach flatulence. They are economical too as compared to canned beans which costs 3 times more and very delicious.
5 Tips to make the Best Sausage and Beans stew
- Fry the Sausages until golden brown: Or to say sear the sausages until golden brown in color. It deepens the flavors and works as a huge flavor booster.
- Do not over fry the veggies: Just sweat them out so that they become limp or soft.
- Go heavy on garlic and herbs: This adds tons of flavors and goes fantastically well with Bratwurst Sausages and Great Northern Beans.
- Do not skip the Balsamic Vinegar: It adds a lovely hue, a tad bit smokiness and tang to the recipe.
- Do not pressure cook the fried sausages: Add them after cooking the beans stew and simmer just for 2 mins. Pressure cooking the fried sausages will leave an over cooked sausage taste and the sausage will lose the seared meat flavor completely.
How to make Herbed White Beans and Sausage Stew?
Steps in words below pictures
Time needed: 25 minutes.
Instant Pot Beans and Sausage
- Fry the Sausages
Set the IP on SAUTE & keep it on NORMAL. Add the diced sausages and fry them until lightly golden brown. Set them aside.
- Sauté the Veggies
Throw in the celery, leek, onion, carrots & garlic and sauté until limp or translucent.
- Mix in the crushed tomato & spices
Add the crushed tomato, cumin powder and the paprika powder and give everything a good mix.
- Add the soaked great northern beans
Throw in the beans and mix well.
- Deglaze the pot with stock
Add stock and deglaze the pot. Throw in the herbs too.
- Pressure Cook
Pressure cook on HIGH for 6 mins. Do a Natural Pressure Release for 10 mins than release the rest of the pressure.
- Mix the Sausages & simmer
Open the pot and add the fried sausages. Mix well and simmer for 2 mins. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve hot with more hot sauce.
Best Sausage Choices
You may use any from the list below. I used Bratwurst to cook today's White Beans and sausage stew.
- Andouille Sausage.
- Bratwurst Sausage.
- Smoked Sausage.
- Italian Sausage ( If you love spicy food pick the spicy Italian Sausage).
- Chicken Sausage.
What to serve with White Beans and Sausage Stew?
You can serve it with some crusty bread and cheese on the side or a light potato salad.
We however, enjoy it as a complete meal all by itself. It's hearty and super filling.
This Sausage and white beans casserole keeps good for 4 days in the fridge when you store it in air tight container.
Great Northern Beans and Sausage Stew - FAQs
Bring water to a rolling boil, add the dried beans and boil for 2 mins. Turn off the heat and allow the beans to sit in the hot water for 1 hour. Cover the pot for better results. Drain the quick soaked beans and proceed with the recipe.
Soak dried beans overnight or up to 8 hours.
Yes, you can cook beans without soaking. Add the beans directly to the pot cover them with water and boil them covered for 2 hours over medium heat. In an Instant Pot cook them on High pressure for 40 mins with enough water.
Soaking beans is recommended to discard the sugars from them that result in digestive issues. Soaked beans are always easy to digest and reduces cooking time by a great deal.
Sausage is generally a preparation of ground meat that can be found as a link, in a casing or as a bulk. Bratwurst is a type of German sausage made with veal or pork and sold as a link. The name comes from the German word Brat = Ground Meat & Wurst = Sausage.
Yes, Great Northern Bean is a white bean thats tastes similar to Cannellini beans. They are high in soluble fiber & vitamin B, low in fat, free of cholesterol. Makes fantastic healthy meal anytime.
Yes, great northern beans are a healthy choice.
They are high in soluble fiber & vitamin B, low in fat, free of cholesterol. Makes fantastic healthy meal anytime.
Yes, dry beans are much better than canned beans. They are an economical choice and is not loaded with sodium unlike canned beans.
Love Stews & Soups? Check these awesome Stews from Foodies Terminal. And Browse the entire Instant Pot Recipes from this blog.
Herbed White Bean and Sausage StewPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 5 cups soaked Northern White Beans (soaked over night)
- 1.5 cups Diced Sausage (I used Bratwurst & 3 links)
- 1 cup chopped onion (white or yellow onion)
- ½ tbsp garlic roughly chopped
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped Leek
- ¾ cup crushed tomato (from the can)
- ½ tsp Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp red hot sauce (I used Frank's)
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1.5 cups Water
- Salt (to taste)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 small Bay leaf
- Dice the sausage links into 1" cylinders. Set Aside.
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE & keep it at NORMAL. Add olive oil & when the oil becomes moderately hot throw in the sausages and fry them until golden brown in color. There will be bits sticking at the bottom, don't worry about them, we'll be deglazing the pot later and those bits & crumbs will act as flavor boosters. Once the sausages are done keep them aside.
- In the same pot throw in the onion, garlic, celery, leek & carrots and sauté until just limp or soft. Add salt to quicken the process.
- Once the veggies are soft add the spices + the crushed tomato and give everything a good mix.
- Than, add the soaked and drained great northern beans and mix well so that the beans are all coated well with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour in the stock and the water and deglaze the pot very well so that there are absolutely no crumbs and bits stuck at the bottom of the pot. This is very important otherwise you might get a BURN message in your Instant Pot.
- Throw in the herbs. CANCEL the SAUTE & press the PRESSURE COOK mode and cook on HIGH for just 6 mins.
- Once, the cooking time is up and the Instant Pot begins to beep wait for Natural Pressure Release (NPR) for about 6 mins and than release the rest of the pressure.
- Open the lid and add the fried sausages and the hot sauce and Balsamic vinegar. If you prefer a little more liquid in your bean stew add some more water or broth. Press the SAUTE mode, keep it on LOW & simmer a few mins. Serve hot with more hot sauce.
- Measuring Cup used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.
- 1 Cup dried White beans = 2.5 cups soaked white beans.
- For today's recipe I used 2 cups dried beans = 5 cups soaked beans.
- I got some new Great Northern Beans from the market and hence the soaked beans took me just 6 mins + 6 mins in NPR mode in the IP to become soft & creamy. The cooking time may vary if you have older beans.
- If you do not prefer creamy soft beans than do a Quick Pressure Release (QPR) immediately or reduce the cooking time by 1 min and experiment.
- Note: I ran out of celery so could not use it in the recipe but I do recommend that you use it and hence, included it in the Ingredients list.
- Note: A thin layer settles on top of the stew when left at the room temperature for a long time and the liquid in the stew tends to be all soaked up by the beans. Just mix in that layer while re-heating or serving.
- Re-heating tips: You may re-heat the stew in the microwave oven or on the stove top. Add a few drops of water and re-heat. This helps to bring back the stew to the right consistency. Serve with some freshly chopped parsley.
- De glaze the Instant Pot very well before pressure cooking. Scrape off any bits and crumbs stuck at the bottom. This enhances the flavor of the stew and also prevents from getting the BURN message in the Instant Pot.
- How to make sausage and beans stew with dried beans? If using dried great northern beans for making todays recipe cook the beans first with stock and water, salt and rosemary for 40 mins on HIGH PRESSURE in the Instant Pot. Drain the Beans, preserve the stock and than begin with the recipe. Skip pressure cooking later, instead just simmer the beans after adding the stock back to the pot. Than follow the recipe as is.
- How to make White beans and sausage stew with canned beans? If using canned beans for today's recipe skip pressure cooking totally. Canned beans are already soft. Follow the same recipe, instead of pressure cooking simmer the beans with the stock for just 5-6 mins on SAUTE at NORMAL or LOW in an Instant Pot. Than follow the rest of the recipe as is.
- Slow Cooker White Beans & Sausage: We love making the recipe in our crockpot. Soak the beans in the crockpot with enough water for 8 hrs. or overnight. Add salt, the veggies (you may sauté them in a different pan & than add it or you may add them raw), herbs and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or until tender. You may select the LOW mode too, in that case it will take you twice the time. Once the beans are cooked add the fried sausage, balsamic vinegar, hot sauce and mix well. Cover and allow the stew to rest for about 30 mins before serving. This will allow the flavors to intermingle with each other. Serve & enjoy!
Pin it for Later!