Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas makes an easy, frugal and nutritious meal to feed a large crowd. Flavor packed tender un-soaked black eyed peas with bacon, kale and lots of great seasonings.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Black Eyed Peas Instant Pot
- 2 Pressure Cooker Black Eyed Peas Ingredients
- 3 Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Tips
- 4 How to cook black eyed peas in Instant Pot?
- 5 Storing Tips
- 6 Serving Suggestion
- 7 Can you cook frozen black eyed peas in Instant Pot?
- 8 How long to cook dried black eyed peas in Instant Pot?
- 9 How long to cook soaked black eyed peas in Instant Pot?
- 10 How long to cook frozen black eyed peas in Instant Pot?
- 11 What should I season my black eyed peas with?
- 12 Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas
Black Eyed Peas Instant Pot
We love such frugal Instant Pot One Pot meals that stretches the dollar, are very easy to make without any expertise and comes together with pantry staples in a jiffy.
My Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas is one such recipe that fits the bill.
I love to make the dish with bacon because that’s what makes it incredibly tasty.
The smokiness and the umami is all pulled together from the bacon mainly and partly from the seasonings that I chose to use (Chives, red pepper flakes, oregano).
If you hate Kale use Collard or baby spinach. you can even skip out the greens altogether.
We love creamy tender black eyed peas and that’s what this recipe is all about.
However, for firmer beans do check out the NOTES at the bottom of the page.
You can make this recipe any night and enjoy it with rice (Hoppin’ John style) or just as such.
It’s very filling, nutritious, super healthy and will keep you satiated for a long time.
What’s great about the recipe is that you can make it with dry un-soaked black eyed peas.
Pressure Cooker Black Eyed Peas Ingredients
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements way below the post on the “Recipe Card“. The list below is just a reference.
- Dry un-soaked Black Eyed Peas.
- Aromatics: Onion, garlic, celery, bell pepper (use any color or a mix of different colors).
- Seasonings: Dried Chives, red pepper flakes, oregano, crushed black pepper.
- Liquid: Vegetable Broth and water.
- Light Soy Sauce or Balsamic Vinegar.
- Fat: Any neutral oil.
- Bay Leaf.
- Kale: You can sub it with collard greens or baby spinach. You can even skip using any greens at all.
Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Tips
How to cook black eyed peas in Instant Pot?
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements way below the post on the “Recipe Card“.
Step #1 Fry Bacon
Fry the chopped Bacon until golden on SAUTE set at HIGH or NORMAL.
The bacon grease will add so much depth and flavor to the dish.
And also the fried bacon will add tons of smokiness and great taste to the Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas recipe.
Don’t worry about the bits and crumbs stuck at the bottom of the pot.
They will elevate the taste of the dish and we’ll be de-glazing the pot later after adding the liquid. So, you won’t end up with a burn message.
Step #2 Saute Aromatics
Saute the onion, garlic & celery for about 2 mins and than add the bell pepper & the jalapeno and saute for about 1 min.
Add all the seasonings, the fried bacon, bay leaves, kale leaves and the rinsed black eyed peas.
It’s time to de-glaze the pot with the liquid and pressure cook.
Step #3 Pressure Cook
Pour the liquid.
De-glaze the pot very well with the help of a spatula.
PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 20 mins (creamy tender beans) followed by a Natural Pressure Release (NPR) for 5 mins.
Open the pot, garnish or drizzle hot sauce and enjoy!
Lasts for 5 days in the fridge in moisture free air tight container.
Freezes for upto 3 months.
We love the dish with corn bread, crusty sour dough bread or rice. It also tastes awesome as such with some hot sauce drizzled on top.
Can you cook frozen black eyed peas in Instant Pot?
Yes, you can cook frozen black eyed peas in Instant Pot.
How long to cook dried black eyed peas in Instant Pot?
Creamy Tender Black Eyed Peas with Un-Soaked dry beans : 20 minutes HIGH Pressure followed by 10 minutes Natural Pressure Release (NPR).
Firmer Black Eyed Peas with un-soaked dry beans: 15 minutes HIGH Pressure followed by 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release (NPR).
How long to cook soaked black eyed peas in Instant Pot?
Cooking soaked Black Eyed Peas: 10 minutes on HIGH Pressure followed by 5 minutes Natural Pressure Release.
How long to cook frozen black eyed peas in Instant Pot?
Cook frozen Black Eyed Peas for 10 minutes on High Pressure followed by a 5 minutes Natural Pressure Release. The Instant Pot will take longer to come to pressure if using frozen peas directly.
What should I season my black eyed peas with?
You can use a variety of flavor combinations to season your black eyed peas with, like, crushed black pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano, chives, thyme, hot sauce, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and aromatics like onion, garlic, celery & bell pepper.
Some frugal Instant Pot recipes from Foodies Terminal. Don’t miss them!
Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas
- 1.5 cups dry no soak black eyed peas (rinsed well)
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper diced (1/2 inch chunks)
- 5 cloves Roughly chopped garlic
- 1 stalk celery roughly chopped
- 1 Jalapeno chopped
- 4 slices bacon roughly chopped (you can use more)
- 2 cups kale leaves roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce (or Balsamic Vinegar)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (or any neutral oil)
- Salt (to taste)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water (read NOTES below)
- Set the Instant Pot on SAUTE function and keep it on HIGH.
- Add 1 tbsp oil and when it becomes moderately hot gently release the chopped bacon and fry until golden in color. If the heat is too much to handle reduce it to NORMAL. Set aside the golden fried bacon. Don't worry about the bacon grease browning at the bottom of the steel pot. We will be de glazing the pot later.
- Add 1 tbsp oil and dump the onion, garlic and the celery. Add salt. Saute for 2 mins.
- Now, add the bell pepper and the jalapeno and saute for about 1 min.
- Next, add all the seasonings along with the rinsed black eyed peas. Mix well.
- Pour the liquid and add back the fried bacon and the bay leaves. De-glaze the pot very well so that there are no bits and crumbs stuck at the bottom of the pot.
- CANCEL the SAUTE function. Close the lid of the Instant Pot. Seal the valve. PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 20 minutes for tender creamy beans.
- When the pressure cooking cycle is over the Instant Pot will begin to beep. Wait for NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE for 5 mins and than release the rest of the pressure manually by moving the valve from the SEALING to the VENTING position. Open the lid carefully.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!
- Measuring Units used, 1 Cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.
- Today’s recipe will yeild tender creamy beans.
- This recipe will also yeild somewhat stew like black eyed peas. However, if you prefer thicker black eyed peas consistency tha add 3.5 cups liquid instead of 4 cups liquid.
- Kale subs: Collard greens or baby spinach.
- You can increase the amount of bacon as per your liking.
- Skip the Jalapeno pepper if you are intolerant to heat.
- Storing TIPS: Lasts for 5 days in the firdge and freezes well for upto 3 months.
- Serving IDEAS: Corn Bread, Rice, Crusty Bread.