Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers – an ultimate comfort food that you can make quickly in your Instant Pot for a quick brunch, lunch or even dinner. Loaded with smoked Sausages, colorful peppers, a dash of seasoning, onion, garlic & tomatoes.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Sausage and Peppers in Instant Pot
- 2 Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers Ingredients
- 3 Sausage Pepper and Onion Instant Pot – Tips
- 4 How to make Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers? Step by Step
- 5 What to serve with Sausage Pepper and Onions?
- 6 How long can you store Sausage and Peppers?
- 7 Can you Freeze Sausage Peppers and Onions?
- 8 Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers
Sausage and Peppers in Instant Pot
Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers is an excellent quick and easy one-pot meal great for a quick brunch, a lunch or dinner in a hurry or even potlucks.
You can choose your favorite sausages like Italian or Smoked varieties and go crazy with colorful juicy, crunchy peppers – Umm makes the dish so vibrant and equally delicious.
My Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers has one unique ingredient and that’s a glug of red wine.
It gives the dish a unique smokey flavor and blends so well with the sweetness of the peppers & the white onion.
However, if you don’t have a bottle of red wine handy do sub it with equal amount of chicken broth or even water.
We ended up making extremely over loaded sandwiches with this Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers.
French Baguette is what we chose 😉
Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers Ingredients
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements way below the post on the “Recipe Card“. The list below is just a reference.
- Sausages: I used smoked Chicken Sausages. However, I often make the dish with Italian Suasages (Hot & Spicy or Hot & Sweet). Smoked Turkey Sausages taste equally great in this dish. Pick whatever is your favorite 🙂
- Bell Peppers: Green, Red, Yellow, Orange. Use whatever you have handy! We love a mix of vibrant peppers. So good!
- White Onion: You can also use Sweet Onion.
- Dry Herbs: Basil, Italian Seasoning, Paprika, Red Chili Flakes (optional, gives a good kick to the dish).
- Tomatoes: Tomato Paste & Rotel Hot Diced Tomatoes. You can use regular diced tomatoes.
- Liquid: Red Wine (Pinot Noir or Bordeaux)
- Olive Oil.
Sausage Pepper and Onion Instant Pot – Tips
How to make Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers? Step by Step
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements way below the post on the “Recipe Card“.
Step #1 Brown the Sausage
Set the Instant Pot on SAUTE and keep it on NORMAL.
Add oil and brown the sausages. It adds lots of good flavors to the dish.
Do not worry about the bits and crumbs that get stuck in the bottom of the steel pot during this process.
We’ll be de-glazing the pot later. Moreover, those brown bits will boost the flavor of the dish to a great extent.
Step #2 Mix in the Veggies and seasonings
Set aside the browned sausages and in the same pot add the bell peppers and onions. Saute for 1 min and throw in the garlic and all other ingredients.
Add a glug of rd wine and give everything a very good mix.
De-glaze the pot really well with the help of the spatula. It’s ready to be pressure cooked.
Step #3 Pressure Cook and Mix Sausages
PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 10 mins followed by a QUICK PRESSURE RELEASE (QPR).
Add the browned sausages to the pot. Mix well with the rest of the ingredients.
CANCEL the pressure cook function and switch on the SAUTE.
Simmer for a few mins until the sauce reaches the consistency that you prefer. Enjoy!
What to serve with Sausage Pepper and Onions?
We love serving Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers with Rice, White Quinoa, Couscous and Pasta.
Today’s Sausage and Pepper tastes amazing when stuffed in bread and served as a sandwich or a Hoagie.
How long can you store Sausage and Peppers?
You can store Sausage and Peppers for upto 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
Can you Freeze Sausage Peppers and Onions?
Yes you can Freeze Sausage Peppers and Onions for upto 1 month.
The peppers tend to become mushy when the dish is thawed and reheated.
Some more easy Instant Pot Recipes from Foodies Terminal.
Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers
- 1 Packet Smoked Chicken Sausage or Italian Sausages (I used 13 oz packet / 368 g)
- 1 medium yellow pepper roughly sliced into strips
- 1 medium red pepper roughly sliced into strips
- 1 medium green pepper roughly sliced into strips
- 1 medium yellow onion roughly sliced
- 6 pods garlic roughly chopped
- 1 can Rotel red hot diced tomatoes or any diced tomatoes (10 oz / 283 g)
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dry basil flakes
- 1 tsp dried red chili flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp Paprika Powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup red wine (Read NOTES below)
- Dice the smoked sausages into large chunks. If using Italian Sausages do not dice them now.
- Set the Instant Pot on SAUTE and add olive oil. When the oil becomes moderately hot add the sausages and brown them well. Do not worry about the bits and crumbs browning at the bottom of the Instant Pot. We'll be de-glazing it later.
- Set aside the browned sausages. If using Italian Sausages Brown them whole and than dice the,. It's easier this way.
- Next, add the sliced bell peppers, onion and garlic in the Instant Pot and saute for 1-2 mins.
- Add the Rotel diced tomatoes, tomato paste, all the seasonings, salt and the red wine. Give everything a good mix and de-glaze the pot very well so that there are absolutely no bits and crumbs stuck at the bottom of the steel pot of the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid, Seal the Valve and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 10 mins.
- When the cooking cycle is over the Instant Pot will make a beeping sound. Do a Quick Pressure Release immediately by moving the valve from the SEALING to the VENTING position.
- Open the lid slowly and throw back the browned sausages to the pot.
- Cook down the sauce until it reaches your preferred consistency. Simmer it on SAUTE kept at LOW for few mins. Sometimes the peppers releases a lot of moisture and cooking down the sauce is the best remedy to this 🙂
- Enjoy the delicious Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers either on a bed of rice, quinoa, pasta. Or stuff them to make Hoagie rolls or sandwiches.
- Measuring Units used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.
- Using Smoked Chicken or Turkey Sausages? Dice them first and than brown them
- Is using Italian Sausages: Brown them whole and than dice them. They are more manageable this way and makes the dish look pretty appetizing.
- If you do not prefer a little kick in the dish skip using the red chili flakes and the hot Rotel diced tomatoes with Habanero. Instead use regular canned diced tomatoes.
- Sub the Italian seasoning with dried parsley and oregano.
- Never ever used frozen peppers or onions. They release a ton of moisture and ruin the dish.
- Don’t want to use Red Wine? Well, sub it with equal parts chicken stock or normal water.
- Do simmer down the sauce after the pressure cooking cycle is over. We love a little sauce when we choose to serve the Sausage, peppers and onions with rice, pasta, quinoa or couscous. However for Hoagies and sandwiches we cook down the liquid a tad bit more.
- STORING TIPS: Lasts for 7 days in the fridge. Store in air tight containers. Freezes for upto 1 month. Remember the peppers tend to mush up a wee bit when thawed and reheated because they are tender.
- BEST WINES to USE: Pinot Noir, Bordeaux.