Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers – an ultimate comfort food that you can make quickly in your Instant Pot for a quick brunch, lunch or even dinner. Loaded with smoked Sausages, colorful peppers, a dash of seasoning, onion, garlic & tomatoes.
Table Of Contents
Sausage and Peppers in Instant Pot
For an ultimate Sausage and Peppers recipe you can choose your favorite sausages like uncooked Italian or Smoked pre-cooked varieties and go crazy with colorful juicy, crunchy peppers – Umm makes the dish so vibrant and equally delicious.
We love Pork, chicken & turkey sausages (both uncooked & smoked pre-cooked versions) equally in this recipe.
My Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers has one unique ingredient and that’s a glug of red wine.
It gives the dish a unique smokey flavor and blends so well with the sweetness of the peppers & the white onion.
However, if you don’t have a bottle of red wine handy do sub it with equal amount of chicken broth or even water.
We ended up making extremely over loaded sandwiches with this Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers.
French Baguette is what we chose 😉
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements way below the post on the “Recipe Card“. The list below is just a reference.
- Sausages: I used smoked pre-cooked smoked Sausages. However, I often make the dish with uncooked Italian Sausages (Hot & Spicy or Hot & Sweet). Smoked Turkey Sausages taste equally great in this dish. Pick whatever is your favorite or whatever you have in your fridge 🙂 Pork, chicken and turkey sausages all taste amazing in this recipe.
- Bell Peppers: Green, Red, Yellow, Orange. Use whatever you have handy! We love a mix of vibrant peppers. So good!
- White Onion: You can also use Sweet Onion.
- Dry Herbs: Basil, Italian Seasoning, Paprika, Red Chili Flakes (optional, gives a good kick to the dish).
- Tomatoes: Tomato Paste & Rotel Hot Diced Tomatoes. You can use regular diced tomatoes.
- Liquid: Red Wine (Pinot Noir or Bordeaux)
- Olive Oil.
Tips & Tricks
- Uncooked Sausages: If using Italian uncooked Sausages brown them whole and then dice them into large chunks. It’s easier that way and makes the final dish aesthetically appealing. It’s totally a personal preference.
- Smoked Pre-cooked Sausages: If using smoked pre-cooked sausages (the one used in the recipe) you can dice them first and than brown them. I did just that.
- Brown the Sausages. That’s what will build the ultimate flavor and give the dish a rich taste.
- Red Wine: I will highly recommend red wine for it’s rich taste and flavor profile. However, if you do not prefer using alcohol just sub it with chicken stock or water. In that case the the final taste and the look of the dish will be not be the same as todays recipe.
- Seasoning: You can sub the Italian seasoning with dried oregano, parsley and Basil.
- Red Pepper Flakes: The red pepper flakes lends a slight kick to the dish. If that’s not what you love skip it.
- Chopping Veggies: Do not chop the peppers and the onion too thin as they will completely mush up in the dish.
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements way below the post on the “Recipe Card“.
Step #1 Brown the Sausage
Set the Instant Pot on SAUTE and keep it on NORMAL.
Add oil and brown the sausages (pre-cooked or uncooked sausages whatever you choose). It adds lots of good flavors to the dish.
Do not worry about the bits and crumbs that get stuck in the bottom of the steel pot during this process.
We’ll be de-glazing the pot later. Moreover, those brown bits will boost the flavor of the dish to a great extent.
Step #2 Mix in the Veggies and seasonings
Set aside the browned sausages and in the same pot add the bell peppers and onions. Saute for 1 min and throw in the garlic and all other ingredients.
Add a glug of red wine and give everything a very good mix.
De-glaze the pot really well with the help of the spatula. It’s ready to be pressure cooked.
Step #3 Pressure Cook and Mix Sausages
PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 10 mins followed by a QUICK PRESSURE RELEASE (QPR). You’ll have softer veggies. If you do not prefer softer veggies I would pressure cook for just 5 mins.
Add the browned sausages to the pot. Mix well with the rest of the ingredients.
CANCEL the pressure cook function and switch on the SAUTE.
Simmer for a few mins until the sauce reaches the consistency that you prefer. Enjoy!
We love serving Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers with Rice, White Quinoa, Couscous and Pasta.
Today’s Sausage and Pepper tastes amazing when stuffed in bread and served as a sandwich or a Hoagie.
Fridge: You can store Sausage and Peppers for upto 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
Freezer: You can Freeze Sausage Peppers and Onions for upto 1 month.
Note: The peppers tend to become mushy when the dish is thawed and reheated.
More Sausage Recipes
Instant Pot Sausage and PeppersPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 1 Packet Smoked Sausage (** I used 13 oz packet / 368 g, I used pre-cooked sausage, you can used uncooked sausages. Read NOTES.)
- 1 medium yellow pepper roughly sliced into strips
- 1 medium red pepper roughly sliced into strips
- 1 medium green pepper roughly sliced into strips
- 1 medium yellow onion roughly sliced
- 6 pods garlic roughly chopped
- 1 can Rotel red hot diced tomatoes or any diced tomatoes (** 10 oz / 283 g)
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dry basil flakes
- 1 tsp dried red chili flakes (**optional)
- 1 tsp Paprika Powder (**optional)
- 1/2 cup red wine (**Read NOTES below)
- Set the Instant Pot on SAUTE set it on HIGH or NORMAL and add olive oil. When the oil becomes moderately hot add the sausages and brown them well (to dice them or not to READ NOTES below). Do not worry about the bits and crumbs browning at the bottom of the Instant Pot. We'll be de-glazing it later. Set aside the browned sausages.
- Next, add the sliced bell peppers, onion and garlic in the Instant Pot and saute for 1-2 mins.
- Add the Rotel diced tomatoes, tomato paste, all the seasonings, salt and the red wine. Give everything a good mix and de-glaze the pot very well so that there are absolutely no bits and crumbs stuck at the bottom of the steel pot of the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid, Seal the Valve and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 10 mins for softer veggies or 5 mins if you do not prefer softer veggies.
- When the cooking cycle is over the Instant Pot will make a beeping sound. Do a Quick Pressure Release immediately by moving the valve from the SEALING to the VENTING position.
- Open the lid slowly and throw back the browned sausages to the pot.
- Cook down the sauce until it reaches the consistency that you prefer. Simmer it on SAUTE kept at LOW for few mins. Sometimes the peppers releases a lot of moisture and cooking down the sauce is the best remedy to this 🙂
- Enjoy the delicious Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers either on a bed of rice, quinoa, pasta. Or stuff them to make Hoagie rolls or sandwiches.
- Measuring Units used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.
- Sausages: You can use pre-cooked smoked sausages and uncooked Italian sausages to make this recipe. We love chicken, turkey and pork sausages equally in this recipe and I make it with whatever I have in my fridge. The recipe features pre-cooked smoked sausage.
- Will the sausage cook through: We do not prefer pressure cooking the sausages. Browning the sausages + simmering them along with the sauce should be enough to thoroughly cook them down. No need of pressure cooking them.
- Pressure Cooking Time: 10 mins for softer veggies. If you do not prefer softer veggies do 5 mins High Pressure.
- Using Pre-cooked Smoked Sausages? Dice them first and than brown them.
- Is using uncooked Italian Sausages: Brown them whole and than dice them or you can use them whole in the recipe as well. Dicing the sausages after browning them helps maintain the aesthetic beauty. It’s totally upto you.
- Intolerant to spice: If you do not prefer a little kick in the dish skip using the red chili flakes and the hot Rotel diced tomatoes with Habanero. Instead use regular canned diced tomatoes.
- Seasoning: Sub the Italian seasoning with dried parsley and oregano.
- Never ever used frozen peppers or onions. They release a ton of moisture and ruin the dish.
- Don’t want to use Red Wine? Well, sub it with equal parts chicken stock or normal water. The taste and the color of the final dish won’t be the same as this recipe.
- Do simmer down the sauce after the pressure cooking cycle is over. We love a little sauce when we choose to serve the Sausage, peppers and onions with rice, pasta, quinoa or couscous. However for Hoagies and sandwiches we cook down the liquid a tad bit more.
- STORING TIPS: Lasts for 7 days in the fridge. Store in air tight containers. Freezes for upto 1 month. Remember the peppers tend to mush up a wee bit when thawed and reheated because they are tender.
- BEST WINES to USE: Pinot Noir, Bordeaux.