Instant Pot Chicken Thighs and White Rice is healthy dinner under 30 mins all cooked at the same time in one-pot! This Instant Pot Chicken Thighs bone in and rice recipe is packed with so much flavor, juicy bone in, skin on, well seasoned chicken thighs & absolutely flavorful seasoned rice.
Don’t miss our huge collection of easy Instant Pot Recipes!
Instant Pot Chicken Thighs and Rice one pot
Instant Pot bone in chicken thighs and rice is a budget friendly dinner that you can make during weeknights like this Instant Pot Rigatoni & meatballs. This dish is all about Juicy chicken, buttery fluffy potatoes, well cooked creamy carrots.
The secret to those great flavors is a heavily seasoned, well seared chicken, well seasoned rice and the perfect cook time just like this Instant Pot Chicken Thighs and Vegetables.
Tips & Tricks
- Season well: To prevent bland chicken thighs we recommend seasoning the chicken thighs heavily, marinate the thighs overnight or for at least 30 mins. This will build immense good flavor.
- Sear Chicken Thighs: Sear the well seasoned chicken thighs until the skin turns crispy and golden brown. Skin on chicken thighs is a must. The fat drippings from the skin will build a huge depth of flavor and it’ll flavor up the rice as well.
- Prevent BURN error: De-glaze the pot very well with stock until every bit of stuck food particles come off from the bottom and the sides of the pot. You’ll have lots of brown bits stuck at the bottom of the pot due to searing the chicken thighs. They will add tons of good flavor to the dish. Also, rinse the white rice until clear water runs through.
- Prevent gummy, gooey rice: Rinse the white basmati rice very well with water several times until clear water runs through. Also, strain the rinsed rice well so that there’s no extra water left. Add this to the pot. Rinsing the rice well will discard the surface starch from the rice and make each grain fluffy.
- Fluffy Rice, juicy chicken secret: Natural pressure release for 10 mins is a must. This will keep the bone in chicken thighs extremely tender and make an amazing pot of fluffy rice that’s not gooey or gummy! Also, fluff the rice with a pair of fork after open the lid of the IP. Wait for another 5 mins before serving the Instant Pot bone in chicken thighs and rice dinner!
- DO NOT Alter: Cooking rice in the Instant Pot is critical. We do not recommend altering the liquid, rice type or pressure cooking time. We have tested the recipe with long grain white Basmati rice and that’s what we recommend to use.
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements at the bottom of the post. The list below is just a reference.
- Chicken Thighs: We used bone in skin on chicken thighs. The skin will add amazing good flavors. However, you can also use skinless and boneless chicken thighs. The dish will be still yummy if not extremely yummy 😀 Refer notes below the post for change in cook time.
- Rice: Long grain white Basmati rice. Do not use any other rice. The cook time and the rice to liquid ratio is different for other types of rice.
- Aromatics: Yellow onion and garlic.
- Veggies: We used green and red bell peppers and carrots. The bell peppers add a subtle sweetness to the dish. Do add them and you can of course add your favorite colors.
- Seasonings: Paprika, crushed black pepper, Italian seasoning, Chili powder, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes. Seasonings play a huge role in this recipe. They totally elevate the flavors of the chicken and the rice. If making this for kids we would recommend that you skip the cayenne and red pepper flakes. They add a subtle kick to the dish. If you love spicy food you may even add a little more cayenne and red pepper flakes than recommended.
- Lemon Juice: This adds a subtle tanginess and also a subtle freshness to the pressure cooker chicken thighs and rice recipe.
- Cooking Fat: Butter and olive oil.
- Chicken Stock: Better than Bouillon paste diluted in warm or hot water is the holy grail. This stuff is amazing. Use it if you can, you’ll never go back to the regular store-bought chicken stock again.
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements + Video at the bottom of the post.
Step #1 Marinate & Sear Chicken Thighs
- Marinate Chicken: This is a key step to make the dish awesome and to elevate the flavor of the chicken. Rinse the chicken thighs, pat them dry and rub them with the dry seasonings both sides. Marinate either over night in the fridge or for 30 mins.
- Sear Chicken: Sear the marinated chicken thighs until golden brown in the Instant Pot on SAUTE function kept at HIGH heat. Use butter & oil. The butter will help brown the chicken and lend a gorgeous color. Set them aside.
- Brown Bits: There’ll be lots of brown bits stuck at the bottom of the pot. Don’t worry, they will begin to come off as you begin to saute the veggies & moreover, we’ll be de-glazing the pot later.
Step #2 Saute Aromatics & veggies
- Saute aromatics & veggies: In the same pot add the onion, garlic, bell peppers & carrots and saute them for 2-3 mins. Add salt to quicken the process. You’ll notice that the brown bits coming off from the bottom of the pot.
- Rinse White Basmati Rice: Rinse the rice very well until clear water runs through. This is important and shall prevent gummy gooey rice and the BURN error.
- Add Rice: Add the rinsed and drained rice into the pot.
Step #3 Pressure cook White rice & chicken thighs
- De-glaze pot: Pour warm chicken stock and de-glaze the pot very well scraping the bottom & the sides of the pot with the help of a spatula. This will loosen all stuck food particles & help prevent the BURN error. Don’t rush this step!
- Pressure Cook: Cancel the SAUTE function. Transfer back the seared chicken thighs into the pot and layer them on top of the rice. DO NOT stir or mix. Secure the lid & PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 7 mins followed by 5 mins Natural pressure release (NPR). Than, release the rest of the pressure manually.
Step #4 Fluff rice & serve
- Fluff Rice: Fish out the chicken onto serving plates. With the help of a pair of fork gently fluff the rice & allow it to rest for 5 mins uncovered. This will help absorb the amazing flavor and the grains will become fluffy. DO NOT use a spatula for fluffing rice. The rice grains will break and turn mushy!
- Serve hot: Serve the Instant pot chicken thighs and white rice with lemon wedges and garnish it with lots of freshly chopped flat leaf parsley. Enjoy!
Meghna’s Tip: If you truly prefer crispy chicken skin than quickly sear the chicken skin side down on the stove top until the skin turns crispy ( 1-2 mins). Use a lightly oil/butter brushed cast iron skillet and use HIGH heat.
Fridge: You can store the Instant Pot Chicken Thighs and Rice dinner in the fridge for upto 5 days. Store them in air tight containers.
Freezer: You can freeze the instant pot bone in chicken thighs and white rice for upto 2 months. We love freezing the rice and chicken thighs separately in different containers.
How to re-heat?
Re-heat the instant pot chicken thighs and white rice in the microwave oven until warm or hot. Sprinkle water and than begin the re-heating cycle. This will prevent the rice from getting dry.
Thaw the chicken thighs and rice over night in the fridge and than follow the above re-heating instruction.
Instant Pot Chicken Thighs and White RicePrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 3 Chicken Thighs (**bone in & skin on. Rinsed and patted dry.)
- 1.5 cups Basmati Rice (**long grain white Basmati rice. Rinsed very well.)
- 1 cup onion (**yellow onion roughly chopped.)
- 1 tbsp garlic (**minced.)
- 1/2 cup carrots (**diced into small cubes.)
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper (**roughly chopped.)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper (**roughly chopped.)
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (**use extra light or light. You can also use any neutral oil that you prefer. Look for the list below in NOTES.)
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice (**use more if you prefer the tang.)
- 1/2 tsp paprika (**regular paprika and not smoked.)
- salt (**according to your personal taste preference.)
- 2.25 cups chicken stock (**we prefer using 2 tbsp Better the Bouillon in paste form diluted in 2 + 1/4 cups warm/hot water.)
Seasonings for the chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper Powder (**skip if heat intolerant.)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika (**regular paprika and not smoked.)
- 1.5 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (**would add a slight kick.)
- salt (**according to your personal taste preference.)
- crushed black pepper (**according to your personal taste preference.)
- Marinate Chicken Thighs: Rinse the thighs and pat them dry with kitchen tissues. Now, add all the seasonings mentioned above in the “Seasonings for chicken thighs” section, whisk them to mix. Than gently rub the chicken thighs with this dry rub. Make sure that the thighs are well coated with the rub. Marinate the chicken either over night in the fridge or for at least 30 mins.
- Sear marinated chicken: Now, set the Instant Pot on SAUTE function & set it on HIGH heat. Add butter & olive oil, when they become hot enough gently release the marinate chicken thighs skin side down and sear them until golden brown both sides. Set them aside. Discard the excess fat. There’ll be lots of brown bits stuck at the bottom of the pot, don’t worry we’ll de-glaze them later & they’ll add so much more flavor.
- Saute aromatics & veggies: Now, add the onion, garlic, carrots & bell peppers and saute for 2-3 mins. Add salt to quicken the process. While sautéing you’ll notice that the brown bits stuck at the bottom of the pot will be loosening. CANCEL the SAUTE function.
- Prep white rice: Now, rinse the white Basmati rice very well until clear water runs through. Drain well with the help of a colander, so that there’s no excess water remaining. Add the rinsed rice to the pot.
- De-glaze pot: Now, pour warm chicken stock into the pot. Stir and de-glaze the pot very well with the help of a spatula scraping the sides & the bottom of the pot to loosen any stuck food particles. This will prevent the BURN error. Add the lemon juice.
- Pressure Cook: Now, transfer the seared chicken thighs into the pot and layer them on top of the rice. DO NOT stir or mix. Secure the lid, seal the valve & PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 7 minutes. Once the cooking cycle is over the Instant Pot will begin to beep, wait for 10 mins natural pressure release & than release the rest of the pressure manually by moving the valve from the sealing to the venting position. Open the lid carefully.
- Fluff Rice & Serve: Fish out the cooked chicken thighs with the help of a tong. Set them aside. Fluff the rice gently with the help of a pair of forks. Wait for 5 more minutes, this will allow the rice to fluff up more. Than, serve the Instant pot chicken thighs and white rice with lemon wedges & chopped fresh parsley (if you want). Enjoy!
- Rice: We recommend using white Basmati rice only. Do not use any other variety of rice, this recipe might not work! The liquid and rice ratio & cook time would vary for different kinds of rice. Stick to white Basmati only.
- Spicy Chicken thighs & rice: Add red pepper flakes and add more. You can also add chopped Jalapenos along with bell pepper while cooking the rice. The dish will be super spicy in this case 😀
- Can I use boneless skinless chicken thighs? Yes, you can replace the bone in skin on chicken thighs with boneless skinless chicken thighs. The recipe would remain the same. Pressure cook time will be 6 mins followed by 10 mins natural pressure release.
- Rinse rinse rinse the rice: Rinse the rice very well until clear water runs through. You’ll always have perfectly cooked rice that’s not gummy or gooey. No Burn error ever!
- Neutral oil: Any oil that does not have a rich depth of flavor may be called neutral oils. Our favorite picks in order are – avocado oil, extra light olive oil, sunflower oil, canola oil, vegetable oil.