Instant Pot Chicken Piccata ready under 30 mins! Thin cutlets of chicken dredged in flour, seared until brown, pressure cooked & served with a butter, lemon, capers, white wine based sauce! This easy Chicken Piccata is super addictive like this Instant Pot Pork Chop Marsala! Don’t miss the recipe video & tips.
Don’t miss our huge collection of Instant Pot Recipes.
Healthy Chicken Piccata Instant Pot
You can make today’s easy Pot Chicken Piccata recipe without white wine and for an even healthier gluten free version skip dredging the chicken cutlets in flour. Instead rub them with seasoning & sear them well.
Also, if you love a creamy sauce make a creamy chicken piccata with this recipe. Just add a splash of heavy whipping cream to the sauce. A perfect mid week chicken dinner that your whole family will enjoy!
Tips & Tricks
- Pound the Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken breasts work amazingly well for the recipe. You need to pick thinner breasts about ¼ inch thickness and pound them slightly so that the breasts do not curl up while searing. This is a must step!
- Capers: Crush a few capers with the back of your ladle. This will release so much flavor into the Piccata sauce. Yum!
- For extra flavors: Prepare a dry rub for the chicken (paprika, salt, crushed black pepper) before dredging the breasts in flour. This will almost instantly boost the flavor of the chicken. Also, throw in a few pinches lemon zest in the sauce and than pressure cook. Such good fresh flavors, so hard to resist!
- Buttery Piccata Sauce secret: Use cold Butter & add it after the pressure cooking cycle is over! Cut the fridge cold butter into chunks and add it to the hot Piccata sauce. You’ll have an amazingly buttery thick Piccata Sauce.
- Healthy Chicken Piccata: Skip dredging the chicken in flour and sear the seasoned chicken.
- Instant Pot Chicken Piccata thighs: You can use skinless boneless chicken thighs and follow this recipe. Pressure cook the thighs for 6 mins followed by 5 mins natural pressure release.
Best White Wines for Piccata Sauce
- Chardonnay: This is our favorite pick. It has an amazing butter, citrusy floral note that goes extremely well with piccata sauce.
- Sauvignon Blanc: We absolutely adore this wine. It has super bright herbal and citrus notes that makes an amazing piccata sauce.
- Pinot Grigio: Goes well too. It has a subtle citrus note.
- Pinot Blanc: Makes a very good piccata sauce. A mild wine.
- You can use any drinkable white wine if you cannot find the above ones. Use any white wine that you would love to drink. Avoid using cooking wines, they just have an off taste!
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements at the bottom of the post. The list below is just a reference.
- Chicken: Use skinless boneless chicken breasts (thin,¼ inch thickness). You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Flour: For dredging the chicken. The flour forms a thin coating around the chicken keeping the meat so tender and juicy.
- Capers: There’s no sub for them. The capers are a must. You can get them in any regular American grocery store.
- Seasonings: Paprika, crushed black pepper, garlic powder & salt.
- Lemon: Juice & zest.
- White Wine: Use any drinkable white wine (the wine you would love to drink). Or find our favorite picks above. DO NOT use cooking wine if you want to make a really good Chicken Piccata 😀
- Chicken Stock: Our favorite pick is Better than Bouillon paste diluted in hot/warm water. This stuff is crazy good! We almost stopped using chicken stock from the can/packet once we began using this stuff.
- Cold Butter.
- Olive oil.
Note: You can sub the white wine in the recipe with equal amount of chicken stock. The Piccata sauce won’t be as crisp and flavorful minus the white wine, however, it’ll still be great!
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Piccata?
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements + Video at the bottom of the post.
Step #1 Prep chicken cutlets
- Pound chicken breasts lightly. This will prevent the chicken from curling while searing them.
- Season Chicken Breasts with paprika, crushed black pepper & salt.
- Dredge chicken cutlets with flour. Shake off the excess flour. Set them aside.
Step #2 Sear chicken cutlets
- Set instant pot on SAUTE function & set it on HIGH heat.
- Sear Chicken cutlets: Add oil & butter and sear the dredged chicken cutlets both sides until golden brown. The light crisp flour coating will keep the chicken super juicy and tender.
- Keep aside the seared chicken cutlets.
Step #3 Pressure cook chicken cutlets
- Add capers & saute for just 30 seconds. Crush a few capers with the back of your ladle. This will release so much more flavor.
- Add liquids: White wine, chicken stock, lemon zest & the garlic powder.
- De-glaze pot very well scraping the sides & the bottom of the pot with the help of a spatula. This will help loosen any stuck food particles. It’ll prevent the BURN error.
- Pressure cook: Transfer back the seared chicken cutlets into the instant pot and place them in a single layer. Cancel the SAUTE function, secure the lid, seal the valve & PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for just 4 mins followed by 10 mins natural pressure release (NPR) & than release the rest of the pressure manually.
Step #4 Prepare Piccata sauce
- Fish out the cooked chicken cutlets.
- Prep Piccata Sauce: Hit the SAUTE function & set it on NORMAL heat. Add chunks of cold butter and stir well until the butter melts completely. Simmer the sauce for 1 min.
- Serve: Transfer the cooked chicken cutlets into the pot and coat them with the piccata sauce. Serve immediately. You may garnish with fresh chopped parsley. Enjoy!
What is Piccata Sauce made of?
Piccata sauce is made up of cold butter, lemon juice and capers. It’s a super buttery lemony sauce filled with the subtle sweet flavors from the capers.
What to serve with Chicken Piccata?
You can serve the following with Chicken Piccata:
- Buttered Noodles.
- Mashed Potatoes.
- Roasted baby potatoes.
- Brown rice.
- Instant Pot steamed Broccoli.
- Instant Pot steamed carrots.
- Instant Pot Green Beans.
- A slice of crusty bread to mop that delicious buttery piccata sauce.
Fridge: You can store Chicken Piccata for upto 4 days in the fridge in air tight containers.
Can you freeze Chicken Piccata? Yes you can freeze chicken piccata for upto 2 months. Freeze the chicken cutlets and the sauce separately. Spread the chicken cutlets in a baking tray, pop them in the freezer and than store them in freezer safe bags. Store the Piccata sauce in a separate container. That way the chicken cutlets won’t be overtly soggy!
How to re-heat Instant Pot Chicken Piccata?
From the fridge: Re-heat in the microwave oven with a few splashes of chicken stock or water until warm. Serve immediately!
From the freezer: Dump the frozen chicken cutlets and the piccata sauce in the steel insert of the instant pot. Secure the lid, seal the valve and pressure cook on high for just 1 minutes. Serve immediately. You may a few splashes of chicken stock or water to thin out the sauce only if you feel like doing it.
Stove Top Instructions
Don’t own an instant pot, no worries you can make easy chicken piccata on the stove top. Here’s how to make it:
- Sear Chicken: Place a cast iron or non-stick skillet over high heat. Add butter & oil and sear the flour dredged chicken both sides until lightly brown. Set aside.
- Prep the Piccata sauce: Reduce the heat to medium. Add the capers, saute for 30 seconds. De-glaze the skillet with white wine scraping with the help of a spatula to loosen any stuck food particles. Pour chicken stock, garlic powder, lemon zest mix well. Simmer for 30 seconds and add the fridge cold butter. Stir until the butter melts, simmer for 1-2 mins. Turn off the heat & add the lemon juice.
- Serve: Now you may transfer the seared chicken into the skillet and coat it with the piccata sauce. Or you can also directly serve the seared chicken cutlet on a plate and than pour the sauce all over it. Your choice 😀
Instant Pot Chicken PiccataPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- Pound & Season Chicken: Begin by patting dry the chicken breasts with kitchen tissue and than pound them gently. This will prevent them from curling up when seared. Now, season the chicken breasts both sides with paprika, crushed black pepper & salt and rub them well.
- Dredge chicken breasts: Now, dredge the seasoned chicken breasts nicely with all-purpose flour both sides. Shake off excess flour and set them aside on a clean dry plate.
- Sear dredged chicken: Set the Instant Pot on SAUTE function & set it on HIGH heat. Add butter & oil. When it becomes hot gently add the chicken breasts and sear both sides until golden. Set them aside.
- De-glaze pot: Now, add the capers in the same pot and saute them for just 30 seconds, crush a few capers with the back of your ladle. This will help them release a lot of flavor. Pour the white wine, chicken stock and de-glaze the pot very well scraping the sides & the bottom of the pot with the help of your spatula. This will help loosen any stuck food particles & prevent the BURN error! Also, add the garlic powder & lemon zest, little salt and stir to mix well. CANCEL the SAUTE.
- Pressure Cook: Now, transfer back the seared chicken breasts into the pot and layer them in a single layer. DO NOT stir or mix. Secure the lid, seal the valve & pressure cook on HIGH for 4 mins. Once, the cooking cycle is over allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 mins and than release the rest of the pressure manually by moving the valve from the SEALING to the VENTING position. Open the lid carefully!
- Prepare Piccata Sauce: Next, fish out the cooked chicken breasts with the help of a tong and set them aside. Hit back the SAUTE function & set it on NORMAL heat. Throw in the diced fridge cold butter (important) and stir until the butter is fully incorporated into the sauce. Simmer the buttery piccata sauce for 1 minute. TURN OFF the instant pot and add the lemon juice. Mix well. Piccata sauce is ready!
- Serve Chicken Piccata: Now, transfer back the cooked chicken breasts into the pot. Coat them with the Piccata sauce. Allow them to rest for 5 mins and than serve them hot with the piccata sauce poured on top. Enjoy! Tastes best when served immediately from pot to plate!
- How to make it in stove top: Instructions provided in the post.
- Thickening the piccata sauce: You can always add more butter to thicken the sauce and more stock to thin it out.
- Spicy chicken Piccata: Add red pepper flakes after adding the cold butter.
- Can I make it with chicken thighs: Yes, you can make chicken piccata with chicken thighs. The recipe would remain the same. The cook time would be 6 mins high pressure followed by 5 mins natural pressure release. Use boneless skinless chicken thighs and don’t forget to lightly pound them.
- Gluten free chicken piccata: Skip dredging the chicken with flour or you can lightly coat the chicken with corn flour (naturally gluten free) and than sear the chicken cutlets.
- I don’t have capers what can I use? There’s no sub for capers in this recipe, capers are the star ingredient to make an amazing piccata sauce.