Instant Pot Green Beans no steamer basket – an easy nutritious, low carb side dish that easily picks up the flavors of your favorite seasonings.. Learn how to cook green beans in the Instant Pot with the detailed guide and cooking times. The post will help you cook fresh, frozen and canned green beans in your Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Green Beans
Instant Pot steamed green beans are as easy as you think them to be.
Just like this Instant Pot Steamed Carrots.
A great side, they are low carb and packed with incredible flavor and freshness.
Imagine Instant Pot Green beans and ham or Instant Pot green beans and potatoes. Yum and easy !
If you know how to cook green beans in Instant Pot without a steamer basket or with a steamer basket you can make a wide variety of green beans sides within minutes.
You can even freeze the pressure cooked beans and enjoy them later!
Instant Pot Fresh Green Beans
Cook the fresh green beans crisp, tender or falling apart soft, it’s upto you.
Whatever, texture you may prefer they’ll never cease to please you 😀
We love steaming green beans in Instant Pot because it’s easy, hands free and the texture is always gorgeous if you know the right cooking time.
I have never ever ended up with mushy or over cooked green beans in the pressure cooker.
Cooking Green beans in Instant Pot is super fun too.
I steam a large batch of fresh green beans in my Instant Pot to use them throughout the week.
I than store the pressure cooked green beans in an air tight container in the fridge.
Take out portions and toss them with my favorite seasonings and enjoy them as a delicious side whenever I want to.
Let’s learn the simple technique because there are so many Instant Pot Green beans recipes waiting to be made with Instant Pot steamed green beans 😛
How to cook green beans in Instant Pot without steamer basket?
Step #1 Prep the fresh green beans
Wash the green beans very well and trim the ends.
Step #2 Prep the Instant Pot
Pour water in the steel insert of the Instant Pot and place the metal trivet inside the steel pot.
Step #3 Pressure Cook the Green Beans
Dump the green beans on the metal trivet. Pressure cook on HIGH following the cook time mentioned in the chart below or according to the texture you prefer (crisp, tender and softer).
Do a quick release when the cook time is up.
Take out the Instant pot steamed green beans.
Season them with your favorite seasoning. Enjoy!
How long to cook fresh green beans in Instant Pot?
You have to cook fresh green beans in Instant Pot for 0 minute on HIGH pressure followed by a quick pressure release for crisper green beans.
However, if you prefer tender fresh green beans cook them for 1 minute in the Instant Pot on high pressure followed by a quick pressure release.
And for softer fresh green beans cook them for 3 minutes following the same method.
How long to cook frozen green beans in Instant Pot?
You have to cook frozen green beans in Instant Pot for 2 minutes on HIGH pressure followed by a quick pressure release. This will yield crisper beans.
For softer frozen green beans increase the cooking time by 2 more minutes.
You need not thaw the frozen green beans at all.
Cooking canned green beans in Instant Pot
We love to use canned green beans for recipes when we are pressed on time or we have surprise visits.
Cooking canned green beans in Instant Pot is super easy.
And we love making Southern style pressure cooker green beans with them.
So flavorful and so easy to make.
I cook them for 3-4 minutes on high pressure. This rewards me with super tender green beans.
Imagine Southern style green beans that’s slow simmered for hours with bacon.
But, for simple seasonings I prefer cooking canned green beans in Instant Pot for 1 minute on HIGH pressure followed by a quick release.
Instant Pot green beans time – Summary
Here’s is the summarized cook times and textures of 3 different varieties of green beans – fresh, frozen and canned.
Follow Quick Pressure release for all methods.
[table id=4 /]
Instant Pot frozen green beans
If you have a bag of those super market frozen green beans lying in your freezer, let me tell you that you can cook them easily in the Instant Pot.
Moreover, you can even ditch the thawing part 😀
Here’s how you can cook frozen green beans or fresh frozen green beans in your Instant Pot.
- Fill up the inner pot with 1 cup water.
- Place the metal insert inside the inner pot.
- Dump the frozen green beans.
- Pressure cook on HIGH following the above cook time chart.
- Do a quick pressure release.
- Add you favorite seasonings and serve the cooked frozen green beans.
Steamed green beans Instant Pot – Storing Tips
You can store the Instant Pot steamed fresh green beans for 4-5 days in the fridge in an air tight container.
Want to freeze the steamed green beans?
Allow the steamed green beans to cool down.
Than, put them in a freezer safe bag and store in the freezer for upto 2 months.
Instant Pot Green Beans no Steamer BasketPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 1 pound fresh Green Beans
- 1 cup water (normal)
How to cook Fresh Green Beans in Instant Pot?
- Begin by trimming the tips of the green beans. Wash them very well.
- Pour 1 cup water in the steel pot of the Instant Pot.
- Place the metal trivet (comes along with the Instant Pot) inside the inner steel pot.
- Dump all the washed green beans and layer them on the metal trivet.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot and seal the valve. Pressure cook on HIGH for 0 minute, 1 minute or 3 minutes for crisp, tender and softer fresh green beans. Do a quick pressure release immediately when the cooking time is up and the Instant Pot begins to beep.
- Bring out the steamed beans carefully from the Instant Pot.
How to season the steamed Instant Pot green beans?
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat or switch on the Instant Pot on SAUTE and set it on NORMAL.
- Add oil and when the oil becomes moderately hot throw in the chopped onions and garlic. Saute until just beginning to become limp.
- Add the steamed green beans and saute for about 1-2 mins. Serve hot. Enjoy!
- Measuring units used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.
- Refer to the Instant Pot Green Beans COOKING CHART provided on the blog post. It’s super helpful and will reward you with the BEST steamed green beans every single time.
- Do not have the metal Trivet? No problem. Dump the Green Beans directly into the stell insert of the Instant Pot containing water and pressure cook them according to the instructions.
- Want to use a Steamer Basket? That’s a great idea. Dump the fresh green beans on the basket and steam cook them following the recipe instructions.
- STORING TIPS: The Instant Pot steamed green beans with or without seasoning lasts for 4-5 days in the fridge when stored in air tight container.
- RE-HEATING TIPS: You can heat the cooked green beans either on a microwave oven or you may season or re heat the cooked beans on a skillet on the stove top.