Instant Pot Creamy Chicken is a fantastic quick and easy one-pot chicken dinner that get’s done under 30 mins and has the world’s best creamy sauce with mushrooms. You’ll love every bite of this Instant Pot creamy chicken thighs.
Don’t miss our amazing collection of easy Instant Pot Recipes.
Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Thighs
Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Thighs is made with boneless skinless chicken thighs doused in an ultra creamy garlic parmesan sauce and lots of mushrooms. The sauce is to die for, picky eaters favorite, even your guests won’t mind licking the last drop 😀
Creamy chicken thighs instant pot recipe will reward you with extremely flavorful juiciest boneless chicken thighs just like this Instant Pot creamy Tuscan Chicken. You’ll never end up with dry, over cooked chicken thighs ever again!
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements at the bottom of the post. The list below is just a reference.
- Chicken Thighs: Boneless, skinless chicken thighs is what we used. Also, trim the extra fat. You can totally sub it with boneless, skinless chicken breasts. The cook time would remain the same.
- Aromatics: Shallots & garlic. You can sub the shallots with yellow onion. Chop them fine. However, shallots would add a crisp, sharp delicate flavor to the recipe and would work extremely well in the creamy garlic parmesan sauce.
- Mushrooms: Use either baby bella or white mushrooms.
- Dairy: Heavy whipping cream & grated parmesan cheese. You can totally alter the ratios depending on how thick or how thin you want the sauce consistency. Refer the NOTES at the bottom of the post for more details.
- Seasonings: Thyme, Oregano, Rosemary, Paprika, crushed black pepper & salt.
- Cooking fat: Butter. If you are on a diet replace it with light or extra light olive oil or avocado oil.
- Flavor enhancer: Better than Bouillon chicken base. This stuff is just so good. Totally recommended. You don’t need store bought chicken stock anymore if you use this one.
- Liquid: Chicken stock or water. If using store bought chicken stock skip adding the better the bouillon chicken base.
- Sauce thickener: We used cornstarch slurry, which is equal parts cornstarch and water diluted to form a slurry. This works as a wonderful gluten free thickener. If you prefer thinner sauces you may skip adding this.
Tips & Tricks
- Juicy chicken secret: Sear the chicken thighs with butter. This will help lock the juices and the chicken will remain super tender & juicy after being pressure cooked. The butter will also help to lightly brown the outside of the chicken.
- Prevent curdled dairy: Do not pressure cook the cream, it’ll separate. Add it after the pressure cooking cycle is over. Also, slightly warm up the fridge cold heavy cream in the microwave oven before adding it to the hot instant pot. This will help stabilize the cream and prevent it from curdling.
- Prevent curdled sauce: Add the parmesan cheese after turning off the instant pot and stir briskly until the cheese completely incorporates into the sauce. Once, the cheese completely dissolves you may simmer the sauce on low for couple mins to thicken it. Cheese will curdle or clump up if it’s subjected to high temperatures.
- Thinner & thicker sauces: If you prefer thinner sauce skip adding the cornstarch slurry. We love a thicker sauce and hence, added the cornstarch slurry to thicken it to our liking.
How to make Instant Pot Creamy Chicken?
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements + Video at the bottom of the post.
Step #1 Sear Chicken
- Season chicken: Season the boneless skinless chicken thighs with paprika, thyme, oregano, rosemary, salt & pepper. Rub well both sides.
- Sear chicken: Sear the seasoned chicken thighs with butter in instant pot on saute mode, high heat until both sides are golden. Set them aside. This will help lock the juices and keep the chicken extremely juicy even after pressure cooking.
Step #2 Saute aromatics, deglaze pot
- Saute aromatics: In the same pot saute the chopped shallots and garlic for just 1 min. Throw in the diced mushrooms and saute for 2 mins.
- Deglaze pot: Add the liquid (we added water + better than bouillon chicken base) and deglaze the pot really well by scrapping the sides and the bottom of the pot with a spatula. This will help loosen any stuck food particles and prevent the BURN error. This step is very important! Cancel the saute function.
Step #3 Pressure Cook
- Pressure Cook: Transfer back the seared chicken and arrange them in a single layer on top of the mushrooms. DO NOT stir or mix. PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 2 mins followed by quick release. Fish out the cooked chicken thighs. Cancel the pressure cook function.
Step #4 Make creamy sauce
- Make creamy sauce: Add slightly warm heavy whipping cream, stir to mix well. Add the finely grated parmesan cheese and stir briskly until the cheese completely melts and dissolves to form a creamy sauce. Turn back the SAUTE function and keep it on LOW heat. Simmer the sauce for 1-2 mins to thicken it stirring often. You’ll get a medium consistency sauce that’s not too thick not runny!
- Thicken Sauce: For thicker sauce, add 2 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water. Stir well and simmer on low stirring often to thicken the sauce to your preferred consistency. This step is totally OPTIONAL.
Step #5 Serve Creamy Chicken Thighs
- Serve creamy chicken thighs: Turn off the instant pot and transfer back the chicken into the creamy sauce. Cover them with the sauce and allow them to rest for 5 mins. This will further thicken the sauce. The sauce will thicken more as it cools down. Serve and enjoy!
How to store?
Fridge: Store the instant pot creamy chicken thighs in air tight containers for upto 5 days in the fridge. The sauce will thicken further, follow the reheating directions shared below.
Freezer: You can freeze the pressure cooker creamy chicken for upto 3 months. Use heavy duty freezer safe bags or containers and follow the reheating directions mentioned below.
How to reheat?
From Fridge: Add a few tbsp water on top of the chicken and reheat in the microwave oven until warm of hot. The mushrooms will cook down further. Stir the sauce with a spoon to bring back the desired consistency, add more water if required.
From Freezer: Thaw the instant pot creamy chicken over night in the fridge and follow the reheating directions shared above.
FAQs – Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Recipe
Tough rubbery chicken is a sign of over cooking. You can prevent overcooking chicken by a quick method of seasoning the chicken & searing it and than pressure cooking for a short time. Searing will help lock the juices & keep the meat tender.
You can put cream in instant pot only after the pressure cooking cycle is over. Dairy tends to curdle and separate under pressure.
Yes, it’s very easy to overcook chicken in a pressure cooker as we cannot check the doneness and the temperature of the meat. Nailing the right cooking time is the key for perfect instant pot chicken every single time.
You need to cook 3 lbs chicken (fresh or thawed boneless skinless whole breasts or thighs) for 5 mins on high pressure followed by 10 mins natural release or complete natural release.
Instant Pot Creamy ChickenPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 1.5 pounds chicken thighs (**boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts.)
- 16 ounce Mushrooms (**baby bella or white mushrooms halved.)
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Shallots (**or yellow onion finely chopped.)
- 1 tsp garlic (**minced.)
- 1/3 cup Water (**warm.)
- 1/2 tbsp better than bouillon (**chicken base. Stir this in the warm water to make an instant chicken stock.)
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream (**slightly warm in microwave oven.)
- 3/4 cup Parmesan Cheese (**finely grated.)
Seasonings for creamy sauce
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch (**diluted in 1 tbsp water to form a slurry.)
- Rub chicken with homemade rub: Add all the ingredients mentioned above in the “Chicken Rub” section into a bowl and whisk together. Sprinkle the rub on both sides of the boneless skinless chicken thighs and rub well. Set them aside.
- Sear chicken: Set the instant pot on SAUTE & keep it on HIGH heat. Add butter, when the butter begins to melt add the chicken and sear both sides until the edges are golden and a few brown spots develop. Set them aside. You need to sear the chicken in two batches.
- Saute aromatics: In the same pot add the chopped shallots and garlic & saute for 1 minute. Add the diced mushrooms and saute for another minute.
- Deglaze pot: Pour the homemade stock (warm water + better than bouillon chicken base) and deglaze the pot very well scraping the sides & the bottom of the pot with the spatula. This will loosen any stuck food particles & prevent the BURN error. This step is very important, do not rush! CANCEL the SAUTE function.
- Pressure Cook: Add the seasonings mentioned above in the “Seasonings for Creamy Sauce” section & stir to mix well. Now, transfer back the seared chicken into the pot and arrange them in a single layer on top of the mushrooms. DO NOT stir or mix. Secure the lid of the instant pot and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for just 2 mins. Once the cooking cycle is over the instant pot will begin to beep. Immediately do a quick pressure release by manually moving the vent from the sealing to the venting position. Open the lid carefully when the metal pin on top the lid drops.
- Make Creamy Sauce: Fish out the cooked chicken & set aside. Cancel the pressure cook option. Add the slightly warm heavy cream and stir well. Add the finely grated parmesan cheese and stir briskly until the cheese fully dissolves to form a creamy sauce. You can do a taste test and add few pinches salt according to your preference to help pop the flavors.
- Thicken Sauce: Hit back the SAUTE function & set it on LOW heat. Simmer the sauce gently stirring frequently and thicken it to your personal preference. Or you can make a quick cornstarch slurry (refer the Thickener section above) and add this to the sauce, stir, simmer to thicken it. This will give a thicker sauce. This is an optional step. Otherwise you may simmer the sauce to cook it down a bit to thicken it.
- Serve: Turn off the instant pot. Transfer back the cooked chicken into the pot. cover it with the creamy sauce. Let stand for 5 mins and than serve. Enjoy!
- Best Chicken: Boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts work best in this recipe.
- Sauce consistency: Thicken the sauce with cornstarch slurry only if you prefer thicker sauce. If not, skip the cornstarch and just simmer and cook down the sauce a bit stirring often until your preferred consistency is reached.
- Best mushrooms: White mushrooms and baby bella mushrooms work best in this recipe.
- Juicy chicken: Season the chicken and sear. This will help lock the moisture and keep the chicken juicy and tender.
- Prevent curdled dairy: Do not pressure cook the heavy whipping cream. Add it only after the pressure cooking cycle is over.
- Prevent curdled cheese sauce: Add the parmesan cheese after turning off the instant pot and stir briskly until the cheese completely melts. DO NOT simmer the sauce while adding the cheese, the sauce will curdle and the cheese will clump together.