Instant Pot Frozen Salmon and Potatoes loaded with extraordinary flavor, flaky juicy salmon & buttery baby potatoes. The seasoning mix used in the recipe is the secret flavor bomb. Make this Dump & start frozen salmon and potatoes instant pot recipe with pantry staples & under 15 mins.
Don’t miss our huge collection of easy Instant Pot Recipes.
Frozen Salmon and Potatoes Instant Pot
Crazy good healthy dinner that’s not bland in taste and get’s done in just 15 mins! No need of thawing the fish and there’s no active cooking involved. This Pressure cooker frozen Salmon and baby potatoes would make you lick your plate.
The secret is the seasonings that we used. You would also have an awesome sauce in the pot that you can drizzle generously and enjoy this quick and easy dinner. Make it!
Tips & Tricks
- Frozen Salmon: For best results use skin on frozen Salmon. Skinless frozen Salmon is difficult to transfer from the pot to the plate and might fall apart. Use frozen salmon directly from the freezer to the pot. The fish should not thaw even for a bit.
- Skinless Frozen Salmon: If you prefer the skinless salmon than do use thicker fillets not less than 1/2 or 1 inch thick. Thicker fillets or salmon steaks would hold up when you transfer them from the pot to the plate.
- Baby potatoes: Halve the potatoes, the awesome flavors will seep right into the buttery melt-in-the-mouth potatoes. So yum! If you plan to use really small baby potatoes than do use them whole otherwise they might turn mushy!
- Seasonings: The secret to the amazing flavor. We recommend that you use all the ingredients mentioned in the recipe, except the red pepper flakes. Skip it if you do not prefer spicy food.
- Better than Bouillon paste: This good stuff and would take the recipe to the next level. In a nutshell it’s a flavor bomb. We highly recommend using it to make this dish one of its kind.
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements at the bottom of the post. The list below is just a reference.
- Frozen Salmon: Use skin on frozen salmon. It’s a must.
- Baby Potatoes: Halve the baby potatoes if they are not the tiny ones. You can keep them whole in the recipe if they are really small in size.
- Seasonings: Paprika, chili powder, oregano, thyme, ground black pepper, red pepper flakes (optional), salt.
- Aromatics: Yellow onion, garlic.
- Lemon: We’ll be using the zest for a boost in flavor and so much more freshness.
- Better Than Bouillon: We always use it in our recipes for added boost and flavor. This stuff is simply amazing! We used chicken base and love it!
How to make Instant Pot Frozen Salmon and Potatoes?
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements + Video at the bottom of the post.
Step #1 Dump & start
- Marinate Potatoes: Rinse the baby potatoes and dice them into halves. Do not peel. Add all the seasonings along with the salt (use according to your taste) and oil. Mix well so that all the potatoes are well coated with the marinade. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Dump ingredients in pot: Transfer the marinated potatoes in the instant pot. Add water + better than bouillon paste and lemon zest. DO NOT stir or mix. Now, place the frozen salmon steaks on top of the potatoes in a single layer. Sprinkle salt, crushed black pepper and red pepper flakes on top of the salmon steaks. Place butter and lemon slices on top of the salmon.
- Pressure Cook: Secure the lid and pressure cook on HIGH for 5 mins followed by quick release. Gently fish out the cooked salmon steaks and place them on the serving plate. Be careful they are delicate. Serve the potatoes on the side and drizzle the sauce from the instant pot on the potatoes and salmon. Enjoy. It’s so yummy!
Step #2 Serve
Fridge: You can store the pressure cooked salmon and potatoes in air tight containers for upto 5 days in the fridge. Follow the re-heating directions below.
Freezer: We would not recommend freezing the dish as the cooked salmon is delicate & fragile. But, you can certainly freeze the cooked postdates for upto 2 months. Store them in heavy duty freezer safe bags or containers. Thaw them over-night in the fridge and follow the re-heating directions shared below.
Fridge: Re-heat the salmon and potatoes in the microwave oven until warm or hot. Set aside the lemon slice, do not re-heat that or else it’ll turn bitter and hence, make the dish taste bitter as well. Drizzle the sauce and enjoy the dish right away!
Freezer: Thaw the dish over night in the fridge and than follow the re-heating directions above.
Instant Pot Frozen Salmon and PotatoesPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 3 Frozen Salmon (**fillets. )
- 1 pound baby potatoes (**about 20 baby potatoes halved. If using very small baby potatoes do not halve them.)
- 1 onion (**medium yellow onion diced into 1 inch squares. )
- 1 tbsp garlic (**minced)
- 1 tbsp Better Than Bouillon (**paste form. Not cubes. Chicken base.)
- 1 Lemon (**cut into 3 circles.)
- 1 tsp Lemon zest
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (**use light or extra light. )
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter (**chilled.)
- 1/2 cup water
Seasonings for baby potatoes
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (**optional. Don’t use if you do not prefer spicy food. Or you can use less quantity.)
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Paprika (**not smoked paprika.)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- salt (**use according to your taste preference. Everyone has different salt tolerance level.)
- Marinate baby potatoes: Rinse the potatoes and halve them without peeling (if you are using regular baby potatoes). If you are using tiny baby potatoes than keep them whole. Add all the ingredients mentioned above in the “seasonings for baby potatoes” above, also add the onion, garlic, olive oil. Give everything a good mix so that all the potatoes are well coated with the marinade. Marinate the potatoes for 30 mins.
- Dump ingredients in instant pot: Add 1/2 cup water in the instant pot. Transfer the marinated potatoes, throw in the lemon zest and Better than Bouillon paste. DO NOT mix or stir. Layer the frozen salmon on top of the potatoes. Sprinkle the paprika, ground black pepper, salt on top of the fish. Slice the 2 tbsp butter into 3 slices and add each slice on top of each fish fillet. Finally place one sliced lemon circle on top of the butter. DO NOT mix or stir.
- Pressure Cook: Secure the lid of the Instant Pot. Seal valve and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 5 minutes. Once the pressure cooking cycle is over perform a quick pressure release by manually moving the valve from the sealing to the venting position. Open the lid carefully.
- Serve: Gently fish out the cooked salmon fillets on to a serving plate. Serve with the cooked buttery baby potatoes. You’ll have a delicious sauce in the instant pot, drizzle the sauce on top of the salmon and the potatoes and enjoy! The sauce is crazy good and has all the dripping from the salmon. Yum!
- Tiny or very small baby potatoes: Do not halve them, they’ll turn mushy. Use them whole.
- I don’t have baby potatoes can I use regular potatoes? Yes, you can. I wuld recommend Yukon gold potatoes unpeeled and dice into large chunks about 2 inch.
- I don’t have Better than Bouillon what can I use? Replace the water with chicken stock, either store bought or homemade.
- Is it spicy? Yes, it’s spicy if you add the red pepper flakes mentioned in todays recipe. If you are heat intolerant or planning to make the dish for kids than I would skip the red pepper flakes.
- Don’t want to use butter? Skip the butter. No problem! This dish will still be super yummy.