Sausage and Rice Instant Pot Recipe make a healthy, economical, filling one-pot meal any day. You’ll love this Instant Pot smoked sausage and rice because it’s packed with damn good flavors & get’s done under 30 mins.
Instant Pot Smoked Sausage and Rice
Perfectly cooked long grain rice with smoked Andouille sausage, peppers, onion, garlic & canned diced tomato. This Instant Pot sausage and rice makes a hearty healthy dinner for busy weeknights.
To whip up the recipe even more quickly brown the smoked sausages and store them in the fridge. Your whole family will love it!
Sausage and Rice Instant Pot- Ingredients
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements at the bottom of the post. The list below is just a reference.
- Smoked Sausage: We love Andouille Sausage (creole or cajun style). We diced them up and browned them at first.
- Long Grain White Rice: We used Kroger store brand Long Grain Rice. Do not use any other kind of rice.
- Aromatic: Yellow Onion & garlic.
- Veggies: Bell Pepper (red, green, & yellow varieties). We used these colors. However, you can use whatever you have in the fridge.
- Chicken Stock: Use better than Bouillon for a flavor burst. You can also sub the stock with regular water.
- Canned Diced Tomatoes: Basil, garlic and oregano diced tomatoes are the ones we chose. You can use regular variety or any flavor combo that you prefer. Fire roasted chili dice tomatoes are another great variety that makes a fabulous pot of sausage and rice.
- Garnish: Chopped flat leaf parsley or carrot. Yes, you heard me right 😀 The tender carrot leaves makes an outstanding parsley substitute. I used just that for this recipe. If you love cheese you may serve the smoked sausage and rice with grated parmesan or cheddar.
Tips & Tricks
- Long Grain White Rice: The rice must be rinsed well, several times under running water until clear water runs through. This is an important step that helps rinse out the surface starch from the rice. As a result the rice will not be mushy or gummy.
- More Flavor: Brown the diced smoked sausage, use flavored canned diced tomatoes like fire roasted, or with basil, garlic & oregano. If you prefer spicy food you can also use diced tomatoes with jalapeno or green chilies.
- Tomatoes Hack: You must dump the canned tomatoes on top of the rice and never ever MIX or STIR the ingredients in the pot. Directly close the lid and pressure cook. If you mix or stir you’ll end up with BURN error!
- De-glazing Pot: After adding the chicken stock you must de-glaze the pot very well with a spatula scraping the sides and the bottom of the pot to loosen any bits & crumbs stuck at the bottom of the pot. This little effort will save you from the BURN error!
- Spicy Sausage and Rice option: Today’s recipe is NOT spicy! However, if you want to make it spicy – add chopped jalapeno or red pepper flakes or birds eye chilies. You may even serve the dish with hot sauce.
- Do not Change: The rice variety. Use only long grain white rice. Do not change the water to rice ratio or the cook time. Cooking rice dishes in the instant pot requires critical measurements and steps. Follow the recipe as such.
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements + Video at the bottom of the post.
Step #1 Brown Sausages
Dice the sausages and brown them both sides in the Instant Pot on SAUTE function set at NORMAL heat settings. Set them aside and do not drain the fat.
Step #2 Pressure Cook Rice
In the same pot saute the onion and the garlic until they begin to become limp (approximately 1-2 mins). Add the bell peppers and saute for 30 seconds.
Pour in the chicken stock and de-glaze the pot very well scarping the sides and bottom of the pot with a spatula to loosen any stuck food particles. This will prevent the BURN error and is a very important step.
Now, add the rinsed long grain white rice and gently push the rice down so that each grain is below the liquid. Finally, dump the canned diced tomatoes and DO NOT mix or stir the ingredients in the pot. If you mix or stir you’ll end up with BURN error!
Close the lid and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 4 mins followed by 10 mins Natural Pressure Release (NPR).
Step #3 Fluff Rice & add sausage
Fluff the cooked rice gently with the help of a pair of fork. Add the sausage and fluff again to incorporate the sausage with the cooked rice. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or tender carrot greens and enjoy!
More One-Pot meals
Sausage and Rice Instant PotPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 1 cup long grain white rice (** DO NOT use any other variety)
- 14 oz Smoked Andouille Sausage (** we used cajun style smoked sausage. 397 grams)
- ½ cup red bell pepper (** thinly sliced)
- ½ cup green bell pepper (** thinly sliced)
- ½ cup yellow bell pepper (** thinly sliced)
- ¾ cups onion (** yellow onion roughly chopped)
- ½ tbsp garlic (** roughly chopped)
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes (** canned tomatoes, we used Basil, garlic & oregano tomatoes. 411 grams)
- 1 cup chicken stock (** or better than Bouillon, 1.5 tsp diluted in 1 cup warm water)
- 2 tbsp Avocado oil (** or any neutral oil)
- salt (** according to taste)
- Set the Instant Pot on SAUTE settings and keep it on NORMAL heat setting.
- Add oil and when it becomes hot add the diced smoked sausages and brown them both sides. Set them aside.
- In the same pot add the onion and garlic and saute until they begin to become limp. Throw in the bell peppers and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the liquid and de-glaze the pot very well with the help of a spatula scraping the sides and bottom of the pot to loosen any food particles. This will prevent the Burn error. Also add salt according to your taste preference.
- CANCEL the SAUTE function and rinse the rice very well under running tap water until clear water runs through. This will prevent the rice from becoming gummy.
- Add the rinsed rice into the pot and gently press down with the help of the spatula. Do not mix.
- Dump the canned diced tomatoes on top of the rice. DO NOT MIX ever! Otherwise you'll end up with BURN error.
- Close the lid of the instant pot and SEAL the valve. PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 4 minutes.
- When the pressure cooking cycle is over the instant pot will begin to beep. Wait for Natural pressure release (NPR) for 10 minutes and than release the rest of the pressure manually by moving the Valve from the SEALING to the VENTING position. Open the lid carefully when the metal pin drops.
- Gently fluff the rice with the help of a fork or a spatula. The rice will be slightly soft now as it's piping hot. As it gradually cools down it'll have the perfect consistency.
- Now, add back the browned sausages and mix with the rice.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and enjoy!
- Measuring Units used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.
- Rice: Stick to Long Grain White Rice. Do not use any other variety. Different varieties of rice require different amounts of water & also the cook time varies. I used Kroger’s store brand rice.
- Canned Diced Tomatoes: I used the ones with garlic, basil, oregano. Hence, I did not use any extra seasoning in the recipe. However, if you use regular canned diced tomatoes use extra seasonings like, oregano, basil, parsley, or Italian seasoning. You use paprika also.
- Spicy Sausage and Rice: Today’s recipe is not spicy. However, if you want to make it spicy throw in some diced jalapenos along with the bell peppers or use red pepper flakes. You can use cayenne pepper powder as well.
- DO NOT stir the ingredients in the pot after adding the diced tomatoes. If you do so you’ll end up with the BURN error. The canned tomatoes all tend to settle and stick at the bottom of the pot during the pressure cooking cycle!
- Best Sausages: You can use cajun style smoked sausage, creole style smoked sausage, or any other variety of smoked sausage. You can even use chicken or turkey smoked sausage or Polish Kielbasa Sausage. Use whatever you prefer.
- Liquid: You can sub the chicken stock with regular water or vegetable stock.
- Storing Tips: Sausage and Rice lasts for 5 days in the fridge when store in dry, sir tight containers.
- Freezing Tips: Freeze the dish for upto 2 months in individual freezer safe bags or containers. Thaw over night in the fridge and re-heat normally following the re-heating instructions below.
- Re-heating Tips: Sprinkle some water on top of the rice and than reheat in the microwave oven. The veggies will become very soft.