This is the best Instant Pot Mushroom Rice you’ll ever make. Fluffy white Basmati rice perfectly cooked and loaded with sauteed mushrooms, green peas and scallions. So good as a nutritious side or a simple one-pot complete meal.
Table Of Contents
Mushroom Rice Pilaf
Today’s Mushroom Rice Instant Pot is not boring.
It’s big on flavors and you will love it as your meatless Monday meal
This one-pot healthy delicious Mushroon Rice is loaded with lightly sauteed white button mushrooms, frozen thawed green peas, scallions, onion and garlic.
To boost the flavors of this Mushroom Rice Instant Pot recipe I added a few dashes of red pepper flakes and dried chives and also cooked the recipe in vegetable broth.
However, diluted “better than bouillon” or low sodium chicken broth are good substitutions.
I’ve kept the Mushroom Rice Pilaf vegetarian, however, you may add bite sized boneless chicken if you love it that way.
You can use baby bella mushrooms or even shitaki mushrooms.
It’s kids approved and makes a great lunchbox recipe.
Instant Pot Mushroom Rice Pilaf – Ingredients
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements way below the post on the “Recipe Card“. The list below is just a reference.
- White Basmati Rice: Rinse the rice until clear water runs through.
- White Button Mushrooms sliced: You can use Baby Bella or Shitake Mushrooms also. You can even use a combination of mushrooms.
- Onion: Yellow Onion.
- Garlic: Go heavy on garlic if you love it! It gives amazing flavor to the dish.
- Frozen Green Peas: Thaw and add them after pressure cooking cycle is up. If using fresh peas from the pod add the with other ingredients before pressure cooking the mushroom rice.
- Cooking fat: I used 50:50 olive oil and butter. You can use any oil or just butter or both.
- Vegetable Broth: You can replace it with normal water or chicken broth or even diluted “better than bouillon”.
- Seasonings: Dried Chives, red pepper flakes for a slight kick, crushed black pepper. You can use oregano or Italian seasoning in place of chives.
Mushroom Rice Instant Pot – Foodies Terminal Tips
- Rinse the Basmati Rice very well until clear water runs through. This is very important. It actually helps to rinse out the surface starch of the rice and as a result the rice does not become gummy or mushy. You’ll have lovely fluffy rice.
- Do not over saute the sliced mushrooms. Stir them for a few minutes and that should be enough.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and allow the Mushroom rice Pilaf to rest for a while before serving. This resting time allows the residual heat to escape and makes the rice fluffy.
- Do not try this recipe with Brown rice. It won’t work. The cooking time of Brown rice is way longer.
- Use the same cup to measure the rice and water. The ratio of water to rice is very important.
How to make Instant Pot Mushroom Rice? Step by Step
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements way below the post on the “Recipe Card“.
Step #1 Saute onion, garlic mushroom & add rice
Saute the Onions and garlic first just for a few minutes on SAUTE set at NORMAL.
Throw in the mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes.
Add all the seasonings and dump the rinsed rice. Mix everything gently.
Step #2 Mix Broth & Pressure cook
When the rice is well coated with the rest of the ingredients pour in the broth and de-glaze the pot very well.
This step is very important and should be don’t in order to avoid the “BURN” sign.
Pressure cook on HIGH for 4 minutes (for al dente rice) followed by 10 minutes NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE (NPR).
If you prefer softer rice cook for 5 minutes with 10 mins NPR.
Release the rest of the pressure manually and open the lid.
Step #3 Add garnishes & gently mix rice
Add the thawed green peas and the scallions and gently fluff the rice. Mix the garnishes gently with the pressure cooked Mushroom Rice.
Do not stir too much, the rice is little sticky and soft when hot.
The pilaf will attain the perfect fluffy texture once allowed to rest for 10 mins or until the trapped heat escapes.
Serve with yogurt or any preferred animal protein and enjoy!
The Instant Pot Mushroom Rice lasts for 3 days in the fridge in air tight moisture free container.
You can freeze it upto 2 months.
Try these One-pot Instant Pot Rice dishes from FT:
Instant Pot Mushroom Rice
- 1 cup rinsed White Basmati rice
- 8 oz White Button Mushroom (226 g or use baby bella mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup Green Peas (thawed frozen peas)
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions (you can add more too)
- 1 cup roughly chopped onion
- 6 cloves Roughly chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1.5 tsp dried chives
- crushed black pepper according to taste
- 1-1/4 cup vegetable broth (or chicken broth or water)
- Rinse the rice well until clear water runs through. This is very important.
- Set the Instant Pot on SAUTE and keep it on NORMAL.
- Add oil and when the oil becomes moderately hot gently release the onion and garlic and saute until the onions begin to become translucent.
- Next, add the cleaned and sliced mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes. Do not Stir much.
- Add all the seasonings and the rinsed rice. Gently mix the rice with all other ingredients in the pot.
- Pour the vegetable broth and de-glaze the pot very well so that there are no bits and crumbs stuck at the bottom of the pot.
- CANCEL the SAUTE function. Close the lid of the pot and seal the valve. PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 4 mins for al dente rice and 5 mins for softer rice.
- Once the cooking cycle is over the Instant Pot will begin to beep, wait for 10 mins of NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE and than release the rest of the pressure manually by moving the valve from the SEALING to the VENTING position.
- Open the lid carefully and throw in the frozen thawed peas and chopped scallions. Gently fluff the rice with a fork or a ladle/spatula. Mix everything gently. The rice might seem to be little sticky at this point because it's hot but gradually as the trapped heat escapes it will atain the perfect fluffy texture.
- Allow the Mushroom Rice to rest for at least 10 mins to allow the trapped heat to escape. The rice will become light and fluffy. Enjoy!
- Measuring Units used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.
- Clean the Mushrooms well and remove all the mud and dirt. Pat them dry and than slice them.
- Do not SAUTE the mushrooms much.
- Use the same cup to measure the rice and the liquid. The rice to water ratio is very important here.
- Want al-dente rice? cook it for 4 mins and than 10 mins NPR (Natural Pressure Release).
- Want Soft Rice? Cook it for 5 mins and than 10 mins NPR (Natural Pressure Release).
- If you are sensitive to spicy food skip the red pepper flakes. They add a slight kick to the dish but does not make it spicy.
- Want to add Fresh Peas from the pod? Add them before pressure cooking and along with the rice.
- Frozen Peas? They are already cooked peas so add them after pressure cooking the mushroom rice pilaf. Thaw them before adding.
- Don’t have Chives handy? No problem sub it with oregano or Italian seasoning.
- Want to make it Butter free? Skip it and add 2 tbsp more olive oil or any oil that you prefer.
- You can sub the vegetable broth with equal amount of diluted “Better than Bouillon” or chicken broth or even normal water.
- If using 10 oz Mushroom Packet add only 1 cup liquid.