Tandoori Wings made in the Instant Pot under 20 minutes. These Tandoori Chicken Wings or Tikka Masala Chicken Wings can be a perfect game day appetizer, a super bowl favorite. Crisp them up in the oven just for 5 mins and you are all set for an excellent batch of Instant Pot Chicken Wings.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Instant Pot Wings with Tikka Masala Marinade
- 2 Tikka Masala Chicken Wings Recipe
- 3 What is Tandoori Wings?
- 4 How to make Chicken Wings in Instant Pot?
- 5 How long to cook wings in Instant Pot?
- 6 Instant Pot Wings Ingredients
- 7 Tandoori Chicken Wings Tips
- 8 How to make Tandoori Chicken Wings?
- 9 Tandoori Wings
- 10 Instant Pot Chicken Wings – FAQs
Instant Pot Wings with Tikka Masala Marinade
Tikka Masala Chicken Wings Recipe
Tandoori Chicken Wings are my take on Instant Pot Chicken Wings with an Indian style wings rub.
You’ll love them!
And today’s Indian Tandoori Chicken Wings recipe is no different.
It is flavored with a simple tandoori spice mix which is readily available in American grocery stores.
Instead of baking the Chicken wings in the oven you have to steam them in the Instant Pot.
Than, toss them in the Tandoori wings rub and finally broil them for just about 5 mins for that extra crispy outer layer. So yum!
If you are not fetish about crispy wings unlike us ditch the broiling part.
You can use up the leftover Tikka Masala Chicken wings rub as a dip.
Do you know you can even dump a bag of frozen chicken wings in the Instant Pot and cook them up in just 15 minutes.
Toss them up in your favorite wings marinade & serve with chilled beer 😀
What is Tandoori Wings?
Tandoori Wings are Indian Tandoori spiced Chicken Wings that are cooked in an Instant Pot, Oven, air fryer or a regular pressure cooker.
Tandoori Chicken Wings are just like any other chicken wings and are also known as Tikka Masala Chicken Wings.
How to make Chicken Wings in Instant Pot?
- Fill up the inner pot of the Instant Pot with 1 cup water.
- Place the metal trivet inside the inner pot.
- Dump the frozen wings or fresh chicken wings on the metal trivet making sure that they don’t touch the water.
- Pressure cook on HIGH for 7 mins followed by a quick pressure release.
- Toss the wings in your favorite wings sauce.
- Broil on HIGH for approximately 5 minutes for crispy outer skin.
How long to cook wings in Instant Pot?
- Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Wings Cook time: 15 minutes on HIGH PRESSURE followed by 5 minutes Natural Pressure Release.
- Fresh Chicken Wings cook time in Instant Pot: 7 minutes on HIGH PRESSURE followed by 10 minutes Natural Pressure Release.
Instant Pot Wings Ingredients
- Chicken Wings on the bones: Made into drumettes and wingettes.
- Lime or Lemon Juice.
- Dry Spices: Tandoori Masala Powder, paprika powder, ginger powder, garlic powder, onion powder.
Note: Soaking the wings in buttermilk is not mandatory. You can use normal fresh wings as such for the recipe. Soaking the wings in buttermilk makes the wings extra flavorful and reduces the cooking time.
Tandoori Chicken Wings Tips
- For extra flavorful wings marinate the wings overnight in buttermilk. This reduces the cooking time too. For instance, you have to cook the tikka masala wings for 5 minutes in Instant Pot instead of 7 minutes.
- Use the metal trivet. Place the wings on top of the trivet and make sure that the wings should not touch the water.
- Handle the pressure cooked chicken wings with care. They are soft when hot.
- Make a kick-ass Tandoori wings marinade. You can get the best Tandoori Masala powder at Whole Foods.
- For Crispy Tikka Wings broil the wings for approximately 5 minutes. The broiling time depends a lot on your oven so keep checking them in between.
How to make Tandoori Chicken Wings?
Time needed: 17 minutes.
How to make Tandoori Wings Step by Step?
- Overnight soaked wings in buttermilk for extra flavor
I soaked the wings overnight in buttermilk. This step is not mandatory, feel free to skip it by all means. But, soaking the wings in buttermilk makes the wings more flavorful and decreases the cooking time.
- Flash marinate the chicken wings
This step too is not mandatory. Skip it if you want to. I just took out the wings from the buttermilk marinade, shaked off the excess marinade and coated the wings with a little paprika, salt & a drizzle of olive oil.
- Place the wings in the inner pot of the Instant Pot
Pour about 1 cup water in the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Place the metal trivet and arrange the flash marinated chicken wings or just regular fresh chicken wings or frozen wings. Make sure that the wings should not touch the water.
- Pressure cook chicken wings on HIGH in the Instant Pot
Close the lid of the Instant Pot. Seal the valve and pressure cook on HIGH for 7 mins followed by a quick release. If using regular fresh wings without buttermilk marinade cook them for 7 mins on HIGH followed by a 10 mins natural pressure release (NPR).
- Prepare the quick Tandoori wings marinade
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Dump the spice powders, mix well and simmer for 1 min. The Tandoori wings marinade is ready.
- Coat cooked wings with tandoori marinade
Coat the pressure cooked wings with homemade tandoori marinade.
- Broil the tandoori wings & serve
Layer the Tandoori chicken wings on a baking tray layered with aluminum foil. Broil them for approximately 5 minutes changing sides midway for even browning. Serve hot with your favorite sauce and celery sticks.
Love Chicken Wings? Check these awesome easy Chicken Wings recipes from Foodies Terminal.
- Spicy Garlic Wings. – These are crispy oven baked chicken wings that are a Copycat version of Buffalo Wild Wings Spicy Garlic Wings.
- Honey Sriracha Wings – Crispy oven baked wings slightly sweet and mildly spicy. So Good!
- Korean Gochujang Chicken Wings made in the Air Fryer.
- Asian Zing Chicken Wings – Just Like Buffalo Wild Wings Asian Zing Wings.
Tandoori WingsPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 1 cup normal water
Prep the Chicken Wings
- Begin by washing the chicken wings under running tap water. Pat the wings dry with the help of a kitchen towel. Set them aside.
- Now, add about half of the paprika, salt according to taste and 1 teaspoon olive oil to the chicken wings and mix well so that the wings are nicely coated. Set the aside while you set up your Instant Pot.
Prep the Instant Pot & pressure cook the Wings
- Add just 1 cup water to the inner pot of the Instant Pot and place the metal trivet inside the inner pot.
- Now, arrange the flash marinated chicken wings on the metal trivet. Make sure that they should not touch the water.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot. Seal the Valve and press the PRESSURE COOK button and set it on HIGH for 7 minutes.
- After 7 minutes when the Instant Pot will begin perform a quick pressure release by moving the valve from the SEALING position to the VENTING position. Wait for the metal pin to drop.
- Open the lid of the Instant Pot and gently bring out the cooked chicken wings with the help of a plastic tong (avoid using metal tongs). The skin of the wings and also the cooked meat is soft when hot so do handle them carefully at this stage.
Prepare the Tikka Masala Wings sauce
- Set a saucepan over medium heat. Add butter and allow the butter to melt.
- Now, add all the dry spices and squeeze few drops of lime or lemon juice according to your preference.
- Stir the mixture and allow it to simmer for just about 30 seconds. The Tandoori Chicken Wings sauce is ready.
Toss the Wings in sauce & Broil
- Now add the sauce to the cooked wings and toss them well so that all the chicken wings are well coated with the Tandoori marinade.
- Now, layer a baking tray with aluminum foil. Place a cooling or cookie rack on the baking tray and arrange the sauce coated wings.
- Broil on high for just 5 minutes flipping sides in between for even browning. Do check the wings in between because the broiling time does vary from oven to oven.
- Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce and Enjoy!
- Measuring Units Used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.
- Regarding the Wings Marinade: If you have any leftover sauce you can use it as a dip for the Tandoori Wings.
- The BROILING time: Do adjust the broiling time according to your oven. It’s recommended that you check the wings midway while broiling. Do flip sides for even browning.
- FROZEN WINGS: 15 mins HIGH pressure followed by 5 mins natural pressure release (NPR).
- FRESH WINGS: 7 mins HIGH pressure followed by 10 mins Natural Pressure Release.
- FRESH WINGS marinated overnight in BUTTERMILK: 7 mins on HIGH pressure followed by a quick pressure release (QPR).
Instant Pot Chicken Wings – FAQs
You can cook about 4 pounds frozen or fresh wings on the bones in a 6 quart or 8 quart Instant Pot.
Yes, you can cook frozen wings in Instant Pot.
Pin it for Later!