Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Wings made with frozen wings both drumettes and flats get’s done under 30 mins. These honey bbq chicken wings is coated with the world’s best bbq sauce & broiled in the oven for a crisp skin & juicy insides. Make a large batch because these easy instant pot bbq chicken wings will fly off the plate.
Don’t miss our huge collection of easy Instant Pot Recipes.
Instant Pot bbq Wings Frozen
Instant Pot Wings are fun to make just like this Instant Pot Tandoori Wings. You don’t even need to thaw the frozen wings, the Instant pot perfectly cooks them down in just 15 mins. Coat them with a freaking delicious homemade bbq sauce mixture & broil for that super gorgeous crisp outside.
Our bbq sauce for the instant pot honey bbq chicken wings is sweet & spicy with lots of robust bbq flavor. You’ll love licking every last bit of the delicious smoky sauce.
Tips & Tricks
- Best Flavor: DO NOT pressure cook the chicken wings along with the BBQ sauce mixture, instead pressure cook the wings first, coat in the BBQ sauce mixture and than broil for just 3-5 mins to crisp the outer edges. You’ll have the best of both worlds – a sticky sauce, a crisp outside and super juicy inside.
- BBQ Sauce: We added a lot of oomph to the BBQ sauce from the bottle. A few seasonings, honey and butter totally took the store bought BBQ sauce to the top. DO NOT skip any for a fantastic flavor profile.
- Crisp Chicken Wings: Coat the steamed wings in bbq sauce and broil them on the top rack of your oven for just 3-5 mins (depending on your oven). This will make the chicken wings crispy on the outside and help you get a sticky sauce.
Easy Instant Pot bbq wings – Ingredients
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements at the bottom of the post. The list below is just a reference.
- Chicken Wings: We used frozen drumettes and flats. No need to thaw the wings. If you have fresh chicken wings check out the cook time mentioned at the bottom of the post in NOTES.
- BBQ Sauce: You can pick your favorite BBQ sauce brand. We prefer Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce and we used the hickory flavor, it’s robust, smoky, sweet & slightly tangy. You can use the original flavor as well or mix both to get the best of both worlds :D.
- Honey: We love the sweetness the honey lends to the sauce mixture and a fantastic glaze. The honey also helps the sauce cling better to the chicken. You can totally control the amount of honey and increase or decrease as per your personal taste preference. We love the honey bbq chicken wings sauce slightly on the sweeter side.
- Butter: This is a must ingredient and make the bbq wings sauce taste fantastic.
- Seasonings: Paprika, garlic powder, cayenne (skip if you do not prefer spicy food).
How to make Instant Pot BBQ Chicken wings?
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements + Video at the bottom of the post.
Step #1 Pressure Cook wings
- Pressure Cook Frozen Wings: Place the metal trivet inside the steel insert of the instant pot. Pour 1 cup water. Place the frozen chicken wings directly from the freezer on the metal trivet. Secure lid, seal valve and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 15 mins followed by quick release.
- Pressure cook fresh wings (thawed): Follow the same process and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for just 8 mins followed by quick release. I would also rub the fresh chicken wings with a few dashes paprika, cayenne, a pinch or two of salt and than pressure cook them.
Step #2 Broil BBQ chicken wings
- Prepare BBQ sauce mixture: Now, you can prep the BBQ sauce mixture on the stove top over medium heat or use the instant pot (drain the water) set on SAUTE function at NORMAL heat. We used a saucepan on the stove top to make the chicken wings bbq sauce. Add BBQ sauce, butter, honey & seasonings, whish to mix well and than simmer for 2-3 mins stirring frequently. The sauce is ready.
- Coat wings in Sauce: Add the steamed chicken wings in the sauce and coat them well with the help of a spatula.
- Broil: Line a baking tray with aluminum foil, place a metal rack on the foil and set the BBQ sauce coated chicken wings in a single layer (as seen above). Broil on HIGH on the top rack of your oven for 3-5 mins depending on your oven. Check from time to time because every oven is different. So, you need to adjust the broiling time accordingly.
Instant Pot Chicken Wings no oven
If you do not have access to an oven you can still make these instant pot bbq chicken wings. Just skip the broiling step and enjoy them tossed in the honey bbq sauce. The wings in this case won’t have crispy outer edges.
How to store instant pot honey bbq wings?
- Fridge: You can store the instant pot honey bbq wings for upto 3 days in the fridge. We recommend storing them in air tight containers.
- Freezer: You can freeze the bbq chicken wings for upto 2 months. Use heavy duty freezer safe bags or containers. The wings won’t be crisp on the outside when reheated. I would recommend that you brush them with some extra bbq sauce and reheat them following the reheating directions shared below.
Reheat the fridge cold instant pot wings in the microwave oven until warm or hot. Thaw the frozen bbq wings and than brush some extra bbq sauce and than reheat them in the microwave oven or in the oven.
Reheated wings won’t be crispy on the outside. They will taste very good but will lack the crispy outer skin.
How do you steam chicken wings in the instant pot?
You can steam chicken wings in the Instant pot by placing the wings on a steaming rack or metal trivet and steam them using the pressure cook option and with 1 cup water in the metal insert.
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken WingsPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 1 cup water (**for steaming the wings.)
- Steam Frozen Wings: Place the metal trivet inside the steel insert of the Instant Pot and pour 1 cup water. Place the frozen chicken wings directly from the freezer on the metal trivet. Secure the lid of the instant pot, seal the valve and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 15 mins. Once the cooking cycle is over the instant pot will begin to beep immediately perform a quick pressure release. Open the lid carefully and bring out the steamed wings pulling out the metal trivet with the help of oven proof mittens.
- Prepare the BBQ sauce mixture: While the chicken wings are being steamed in the Instant Pot you can prepare the bbq wigs sauce mixture on the stove top. In a small sauce pan add the store bought BBQ sauce, honey, butter, garlic powder. paprika & cayenne. Simmer the sauce mixture on medium heat stirring frequently for 2-3 mins. Turn off the heat and pour the sauce into a large bowl.
- Toss wings in Sauce: Transfer the steamed chicken wings into the bowl (containing the sauce) and coat the wings very well with the sauce with the help of a spatula. Make sure that the steamed wings are well covered with the sauce on all sides.
- Broil Wings: Line a baking tray with aluminum foil and place a metal rack /cookie rack on the foil. Now, place the sauce coated wings in a single layer on the metal rack and broil on High on the top rack of your oven for 3-5 mins. Keep checking in between because the broiling time would entirely depend on your ovens capacity. We broiled for 5 mins. You’ll have amazing juicy chicken wings that are crisp on the outside with a sticky sauce. Enjoy!
- Spicy level: These BBQ wings are sweet and spicy with a subtle tang. If you are heat intolerant do skip the cayenne pepper from the recipe. Or sub it with equal amount of ground black pepper for some extra depth of flavor.
- Can I double the recipe? Yes you can double the recipe. The cook time would remain the same. Just double all ingredients.
- Flavor Profile: Honey BBQ Chicken wings are sweet, spicy, smoky, sticky and subtly tangy.
- Best BBQ Sauce: We love Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce both Hickory and Original flavor. For today’s recipe we used the Hickory flavor BBQ sauce for the smoky flavor, we totally love it. You can use the Original flavor as well. Pick your favorite brand, you don’t have to use Baby Ray’s sauce!
- Can I double the recipe? Yes, you certainly can double the recipe. The cook time would remain the same, double all ingredients.
- Can I skip the honey? Yes, you can skip the honey or use 3-4 tbsp brown sugar.