Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts – a salty Southern favorite, these Instant Pot Boiled Raw Peanuts are a staple Southern snack, an official state snack of South Carolina. They are pressure cooked in a salty delicious brine & gets done within 2 hours which is much quicker than the traditional method.
Table Of Contents
- 1 What is Boiled Peanuts?
- 2 Instant Pot Cajun Boiled Peanuts
- 3 Boiled Peanuts
- 4 What are the best peanuts for boiling?
- 5 Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts Ingredients
- 6 What does boiled peanut taste like?
- 7 How do you eat Cajun boiled peanuts?
- 8 Raw Vs Green Peanuts
- 9 Brine for Boiled Peanuts
- 10 Do you have to soak raw peanuts before boiling?
- 11 How long boiled peanuts last?
- 12 Browse Instant Pot Recipes For FREE!
- 13 How to make Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts?
- 14 Boiled Peanuts – Foodies Terminal Tips
- 15 Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts – FAQs
- 16 Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts
What is Boiled Peanuts?
Boiled Peanuts is a tasty snack popular in the Southern United States where raw peanuts along with the hull are cooked in a salty brine sometimes also flavored with Cajun spices, old bay or Zatarain’s that makes Cajun Boiled Peanuts.
Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts are tender with a bite still left but not crunchy just like peas, with a salty, spicy, smoky (when cooked with Cajun seasoning) flavor.
Boiled Raw Peanuts taste amazing.
Instant Pot Cajun Boiled Peanuts
We love everything Cajun just like this Instant Pot Cajun Chicken and Rice.
And why not Cajun boiled peanuts when they taste mind-blowing GOOD!
Cooked in a flavored brine containing Cajun and Creole seasoning, paprika, lots of salt and dried red chilies (optional).
These Louisianian flavored pressure cooker boiled peanuts makes an amazing snack when paired with chilled beer or even cold soda.
I was first introduced to this Southern style boiled peanuts by my Hubby’s office colleague who happens to be a Southerner.
His eyes glittered when he described the joy of slurping boiled peanuts straight away from the brine soaked hull.
He got a bagful of spicy Cajun Boiled Peanuts for us from Georgia.
And oh Boy! we were hooked. These babies are so damn good, I mean salty, spicy, smoky, tender yet with a bite (Imagine raw peas).
Best enjoyed directly from the brine soaked hull.
Some people say eating boiled peanuts with hands can get a bit messy because the brine drips from the wrists to the elbows.
But, we don’t mind that a bit when the food tastes so damn GOOD!
However, if the dribbles bother you here’s a quick alternative.
Strain the peanuts for a few mins before serving.
What are the best peanuts for boiling?
Green Peanuts are best for boiling. However, they are not readily available so, raw peanuts that are uncooked and partially dehydrated are a good substitute as well.
Today’s recipe of Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts uses the readily available Raw Peanuts from the regular supermarket.
Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts Ingredients
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements way below the post on the “Recipe Card“. The list below is just a reference.
- Raw or Green Peanuts: Rinsed well to discard debris and small rocks.
- Extra Flavorings: Cajun Seasoning, Creole seasoning, Paprika & whole dried red chilies (optional).
What does boiled peanut taste like?
Boiled Peanut tastes salty, tender with a bite, the closest example would be raw green pea. The hull of the boiled peanuts picks up the strong salty taste from the brine and the extraordinary good flavor from the additional seasonings.
How do you eat Cajun boiled peanuts?
You eat Cajun boiled peanuts by cracking the boiled peanut shell with the help of your teeth or fingers and than slurp the boiled peanuts with the trapped salty, spicy brine in the shell.
You have to discard the shell.
Raw Vs Green Peanuts
Raw peanuts are uncooked peanuts that are dried or dehydrated. They appear dry and not wet unlike green peanuts.
Whereas, Green Peanuts are farm fresh peanuts that are raw, not dried or dehydrated and still have a wet appearance.
As Green Peanuts are farm fresh, just harvested they are not readily available throughout the year.
Instead, they are limited to their season.
However, Raw peanuts are dried so they have greater shelf life and available in regular grocery stores throughout the year.
Brine for Boiled Peanuts
You can make a plain and simple Salt water brine for boiled peanuts or add layers of flavor in the brine.
Just like today’s recipe – I made the brine with salt, cajun seasoning, paprika, creole seasoning and whole dried red chilies – Louisianian Style.
You can also dress up the brine with garlic powder, onion powder, old bay, red chili flakes, sliced jalapenos, Zatarain’s etc. The sky is the limit here.
We love the Louisianian Cajun flavor.
The extra chili kick and the salty brine makes these old fashioned boiled peanuts a super-hit in my house.
Do you have to soak raw peanuts before boiling?
You don’t have to soak raw peanuts before boiling if you do not prefer extremely soft boiled peanuts.
However, few recommend to soak raw peanuts for 8-9 hours or overnight in salt water.
But, I have tested both unsoaked and soaked version in my Instant Pot and could not really figure out any remarkable difference except that the soaked ones turned out a bit more softer with the same cooking time.
So, you can directly dump a well rinsed bag of raw peanuts in the Instant Pot and proceed with the recipe or if you want you may soak them as well.
Foodies Terminal Pro Tip
How long boiled peanuts last?
Boiled peanuts lasts for 7 days in the fridge when stored in air tight containers.
Instant Pot boiled peanuts also freezes very well for several months when drained well and than stored in freezer safe bags.
Browse Instant Pot Recipes For FREE!
Get access to an HUGE collection of amazing easy Instant Pot Recipes from FOODIES TERMINAL.
How to make Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts?
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements way below the post on the “Recipe Card“.
Step #1 Prep the Raw or Green Peanuts
Rinse the raw or green peanuts very well before boiling them. They might contain debris and dirt.
Step #2 Pressure cook Peanuts
Add the rinsed raw or green peanuts in the steel pot of the Instant Pot. Add all the flavoring ingredients like Cajun seasoning, paprika, salt and dried red chilies.
Pour enough water.
Close the lid of the Instant Pot. Seal the Valve.
Pressure cook on HIGH for 90 minutes followed by a natural pressure release.
Drain the pressure cooked boiled peanuts and serve with chilled beer. Enjoy!
Boiled Peanuts – Foodies Terminal Tips
Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts – FAQs
How do you know when boiled peanuts are done?
You will know when boiled peanuts are done with a simple taste test – pick out 2-3 boiled peanuts, crack open and taste the nuts. If the nuts are tender with a bite or soft and salty that means that they are done.
How much salt does it take to boil peanuts?
You need 1/2 cup salt to boil 2 pounds raw peanuts.
How do you fix salty boiled peanuts?
Fix salty boiled peanuts by replacing some amount of the salty brine with same amount of normal water.
Are boiled peanuts healthy?
Yes, boiled peanuts are healthy, packed with Vitamins, nutrients and are a good source of monounsaturated fats.
The process of boiling peanuts loads them with 4 times more antioxidants than raw or roasted peanuts. The antioxidant is comes from boiling the hulls.
Do you eat boiled peanuts hot or cold?
You can eat boiled peanuts both hot or cold. Drain the boiled peanuts and serve immediately to relish gas station style hot boiled peanuts or else chill them in the fridge and than enjoy.
Are raw peanuts the same as green peanuts?
No, raw peanuts are not the same as green peanuts.
Raw peanuts are uncooked dehydrated peanuts without any moisture. Whereas, green peanuts are fresh harvested peanuts that are not dehydrated.
Do you eat the shell on boiled peanuts?
No, you don’t eat the shell on boiled peanuts. You eat the nuts and discard the shell.
How long do you soak peanuts before boiling?
You soak peanuts for 8-9 hours or overnight before boiling. However, you may skip soaking them and boil them as such.
Do you drain boiled peanuts?
Yes, you must drain the boiled peanuts. There’s always a wee bit of salty, spicy and tasty brine left trapped inside the shells for you to enjoy it with the nuts.
A little SLUUUURRRPPPPP and you’ll be in boiled peanut heaven 😀
Do boiled peanuts go bad?
Yes, boiled peanuts go bad when left outside for more than 24 hours. The moisture content of the boiled peanuts tends to spoil them quickly if not refrigerated or stored in the freezer.
How long does it take to boil dried peanuts?
It takes around 2 hours to boil raw dried peanuts in the Instant Pot. However, it takes 8-9 hours to boil raw dried peanuts on the stove top following the traditional method of cooking.
How do you freeze cooked boiled peanuts?
You can freeze cooked boiled peanuts after draining the excess brine completely and than storing the boiled peanuts in freezer safe, air tight and moisture proof bags. They last for several months in the freezer.
How do you reheat boiled peanuts?
You can reheat boiled peanuts either in the microwave oven or on the stove top. Place the boiled peanuts in the microwave safe bowl, cover and reheat until warm.
For stove top method, add the boiled peanuts into a saucepan, pour water, add salt and bring it to a rolling boil. Drain and serve.
Why are my boiled peanuts slimy?
Boiled peanuts sometimes turn slimy if left outside for more than 24 hours. The excess moisture content turns the peanuts slimy.
Where did boiled peanuts originate from?
Boiled peanuts have originated and spread out from South Carolina, United States of America across Virginia, Georgia and Florida.
Love Easy Instant Pot Recipes? Don’t miss these from Foodies Terminal.
Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts
- 2 pounds raw peanuts (with hulls)
- 1/3 cup salt (or 1/2 cup)
- 2 tbsp Cajun Seasoning (optional)
- 1 tbsp Creole Seasoning (optional)
- 1 tbsp Paprika Powder (optional)
- 2 dried red chilies (optional)
- Begin by rinsing the whole raw peanuts very well.
- Add the rinsed whole peanuts in the steel pot of the instant pot. Pour enough water to cover the peanuts.
- Add salt and the other seasonings if using any like Cajun seasoning, creole seasoning, paprika and whole chilies. Give everything a good mix.
- Cover the Instant Pot. Seal the Valve and pressure cook on HIGH for 90 minutes.
- When the cooking cycle is over the Instant Pot will begin to beep. Wait for a complete natural pressure release and than open the lid of the pot.
- Strain the boiled peanuts or lift them up with slotted soon and serve with chilled beer. Enjoy!
- Measuring Units used, 1 Cup = 240 ml and 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.
- If you get fresh green peanuts you may cook them for 75-80 mins on HIGH followed by a 30 mins natural pressure release for a great boiled peanuts texture.
- 90 mins on HIGH pressure and 30 mins natural pressure release makes a batch of boiled peanuts with great texture using store bought raw peanuts. The boiled peanuts turn out tender with a bite. However, if you prefer softer boiled peanuts you may soak the raw peanuts over night in enough water before pressure cooking them.
- Raw Peanuts are not same as Green peanuts.
- Raw Peanuts: Uncooked Peanuts, dehydrated, available in regular grocery stores with labels “RAW”, requires longer cooking time, may have to soak them overnight before boiling them.
- Green Peanuts: Freshly farmed, uncooked peanuts not dehydrated, they retain the moisture, they are more fresh, not readily available, seasonal and requires lesser cooking time as compared to raw peanuts. They are the best candidates for old fashioned Southern Style boiled peanuts.
- You may totally skip using all the seasonings and use only regular table salt.
- Enjoy the boiled peanuts with chilled beer.
- For extra spicy kick you may use a generous amount of red chili flakes.
- Discard the hulls and eat only the nuts.