Instant Pot Caramel Custard also known Creme Caramel is the easiest, tastiest, less complicated dessert you’ll ever make in your electronic pressure cooker. The Pressure Cooker Caramel Custard is melt-in-the-mouth soft, delicate & sweet with a good punch of liquid caramel.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Caramel Custard in Pressure Cooker
- 2 Instant Pot Caramel Custard
- 3 What is caramel custard?
- 4 Creme Caramel Ingredients
- 5 Instant Pot Caramel Custard Recipe Tips
- 6 How to make Caramel Custard without Oven? Instant Pot Caramel Custard
- 7 Pressure Cooker Caramel Custard – FAQs
- 8 Instant Pot Caramel Custard
Caramel Custard in Pressure Cooker
Making fail proof desserts in Instant Pot like this extraordinarily creamy Instant Pot New Your Cheesecake Recipe is my most favorite thing to do.
I love the no risk returns 😀
Well, if you are looking for the best creme caramel recipe with fewer ingredients and damn easy to make than you have come to the right place.
My Instant Pot Caramel Custard requires only 3 ingredients.
This is how my Mom used to make caramel pudding in a traditional pressure cooker or a deep bottomed pot.
Imagine a stock pot or soup pot.
I transformed the same recipe into an Instant Pot version.
We grew up eating this delicate, absolutely melt-in-the-mouth caramel custard which also happens to be a very popular dessert in India.
Instant Pot Caramel Custard
For today’s pressure cooker caramel custard recipe……
You don’t need to separate the egg yolks, you don’t need to prepare the custard on the stove top, you also don’t need to strain the caramel custard mixture.
Just a few handy tips and tricks will sail you through this extremely easy recipe.
You can make this caramel custard recipe in ramekins or any oven safe baking pots or containers.
However, avoid push pans or spring-form pans. The caramel tends to leak all over.
We absolutely love to make the creme caramel in ramekins especially because they are portion sizes and so cute.
Oven Proof Pyrex bowls are also a good option.
What is caramel custard?
Caramel Custard is a delicious light and delicate pudding like dessert that’s made with only 3 ingredients – Milk, egg and sugar. It has a caramel sauce top and is not as dense as Flan.
Caramel Custard is a staple dessert in several households in India and also all over the world.
Creme Caramel Ingredients
The ingredients list for today’s Creme Caramel recipe is tiny 😀 Only 3 ingredients and you are all set for the BEST creme caramel recipe in the whole wide world.
- Eggs: I used large. Room temperature eggs recommended.
- Sugar: Regular White Sugar recommended.
- Milk: Full Fat Whole milk recommended.
- Vanilla Extract: Totally optional. We don’t use it on regular basis however, I used it for the recipe today.
Instant Pot Caramel Custard will not smell eggy if you choose to skip adding the Vanilla Extract
Instant Pot Caramel Custard Recipe Tips
The Caramel is very HOT and can easily burn you badly if not handled properly. DO NOT dip a finger to taste hot caramel or lick it off from a spoon.
How to make Caramel Custard without Oven? Instant Pot Caramel Custard
Step #1 Prepare the Caramel sauce on the Stove Top
I always love to begin the recipe with the Caramel sauce because by the time the caramel sauce sets in the ramekins I make the custard which involves no cooking, just mixing.
Prepare the custard over medium heat. It takes some time and needs some patience.
Stir but not too much, it’ll prevent the syrup from burning.
Never leave it unattended. It burns with a blink of an eye, believe me!
The recipe is very simple. It only requires water and normal white sugar.
You have to heat them up in a saucepan until the sugar completely dissolves.
The sugar syrup will slowly simmer, change it’s color and caramelize and also thicken.
You may increase the heat to medium high to hasten up the process of melting the sugar. When it comes to a rolling boil reduce the heat to medium.
Foodies Terminal Tip
Be very careful, it’s very very HOT.
Never try to taste it or touch the caramel sauce.
Step #2 Prep the Ramekins
Once the Caramel sauce is done immediately pour the hot sauce into the ramekins.
Quickly rotate or shake the ramekins with the help of your hand to evenly distribute the caramel sauce on the base of the ramekins.
Do not touch the sauce ever. Allow the sauce to rest in the ramekins until it sets firmly.
In the meantime prepare the custard.
Step #3 Prepare the Custard
Beat the eggs
Best the eggs separately before adding them to the milk.
This is one little trick that will save you tons of effort.
Beating the eggs will help break the tough transparent thread like albumin of the egg and make the eggs smooth and lump free.
You can mix whisked eggs easily with the milk in a jiffy without any struggle whatsoever.
You don’t have to struggle to mix in that tough thread like egg albumin in the milk and you don’t need to strain the custard mixture as well once it’s ready.
Mix all ingredients with Milk
Dissolve the sugar first in the milk with the help of a hand whisk.
Than, pour in the beaten eggs. Whisk until the eggs are completely blended in the milk.
Add Vanilla and whisk until the custard is ready and everything is well incorporated.
Step #4 Pressure Cook Caramel Custard in Instant Pot
It’s time to pour the custard into the caramel glazed ramekins.
Before, you pour the custard just do little test to check if the caramel sauce has set well in the ramekins. Tap the caramel sauce with the help of a spoon.
It should make a tapping sound, the spoon should come out clean. This means that the caramel has set hard.
Pour the custard into the ramekins. Avoid overfilling them.
Close the ramekins with aluminum foil. Just wrap the foil all around tightly.
Prep the Instant pot by pouring 1 cup water and placing the metal trivet inside the steel insert of the Instant Pot.
Stack the ramekins carefully on top of the other. Close the lid, seal valve and pressure cook on HIGH for 10 minutes followed by 10 minutes natural pressure release.
Once done allow the ramekins to cool down completely than pop them in the fridge and allow them to rest and set for a minimum of 2 to 4 hours.
Serve chilled enjoy!
How to serve Caramel Custard?
Pressure Cooker Caramel Custard – FAQs
Does Caramel Custard have egg?
Yes, Caramel Custard contains eggs.
What does caramel custard taste like?
Caramel Custard tastes almost like flan but it’s more delicate, less sweet and not as dense as a flan.
It’s melt-in-the-mouth soft with a good caramel punch.
What is caramel custard made of?
Caramel Custard is made of milk, sugar and eggs.
How long does creme caramel last in the fridge?
Creme caramel lasts for 4-5 days in the fridge. If you choose to store them do not un-mold them, instead store the ramekins covered in the fridge. While serving you can un-mold the custard.
Why not try more EASY Instant Pot Dessert Recipes? Don’t miss these from FOODIES TERMINAL.
Instant Pot Caramel Custard
For Caramel Sauce
- 3/4 cup white sugar (regular)
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 cups Whole milk (preferably at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup white sugar (or 1/4 cup if you prefer mild sweetness)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract (optional)
How to make the Caramel Sauce on the stove top?
- Set a deep bottomed saucepan over medium high heat. Add sugar and pour 3 tbsp water. Stir to mix a bit, not too much though. The sugar will dissolve on it's own and come to a bubbling boil. Immediately reduce the heat to medium. Allow the sugar syrup to caramelize.
- Stir frequently to prevent burning, and do not leave the syrup unattended because it burns in no time, believe me! You'll notice that the sugar will begin to caramelize and change in color. It'll turn pale and than peanut butter color, bourbon color and finally darken more to resemble a rich and dark amber color.
- The Caramel is ready. DO NOT touch it or lick it. It's super HOT and shall burn you badly.
- Immediately turn off the heat and pour the caramel in the ramekins. Give the ramekins a quick swirl in order to evenly coat the base with caramel. Leave them to rest while you prepare the custard.
How to make the Custard?
- Begin by beating the eggs very well so that the tough thread like transparent egg albumin blends well into a smooth silky consistency with the rest of the yolk. (Go through the step by step method and also the TIPS shared in the post). Beating the eggs will save you a lot of hard work and you don't need to strain the custard later in order to discard any lumps.
- Mix in the sugar in the milk first with the help of a hand whisk.
- Now, pour the beaten eggs into the milk. Mix thoroughly with the help of a hand whisk. Also add the vanilla extract and give everything a final good mix.
How to make Caramel Custard without oven and in pressure cooker / Instant Pot?
- Tap a spoon on top of the caramel to check whether it has set completely. The spoon should come out completely clean and make a tapping sound on the hardened caramel.
- Now, ladle out the custard and pour on the hardened caramel surface inside the ramekins. Do not overfill the ramekins.
- Make temporary foil covers for the ramekins. Wrap them tightly.
- Now, prep the Instant Pot by pouring about 1 cup water and placing the metal trivet inside the inner pot of the Instant Pot.
- Carefully stack the ramekins one on top of the other. I used 5 ramekins in total, 3 small and 2 with a capacity of 1 cup liquid each.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot and seal the valve.
- Pressure cook on HIGH for 10 minutes. After 10 mins when the Instant Pot begins to make a beeping sound, wait for natural pressure release for 10 mins and than release the rest of the pressure manually.
- Open the lid of the pot carefully. And you can either allow the caramel custard to cool down completely inside the Instant Pot itself or you can bring them out of the pot and place them on the counter top to cool down completely.
- When the ramekins are completely cold pop them in the fridge and allow them to rest and set for at-least 2-4 hours.
How to unmold the Caramel Custard?
- You can serve the portion sized Caramel Custard in the ramekins or you may unmold them.
- To unmold run a kitchen knife around the edge of the custard (in between the custard and the ramekin). Place a clean plate on top of the ramekin, quickly flip to invert. The custard should pop out easily and smoothly. Give not give a gentle tap with the help of your fingers.
- You'll end up with a gorgeous, delicate custard all topped with delicious caramel sauce. Don't forget to slurp that caramel sauce with every morsel of custard that you eat. It's seriously a heavenly experience 😀
- Measuring Units Used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.
- Ramekins used: 5 in total. 3 small and 2 with a capacity to hold 1 cup liquid.
- Note: The caramel in the recipe is enough for 5 ramekins + 1 more large ramekin. So, you’ll have a little leftover.
- STORING TIPS: Store the ramekins in the fridge for 4-5 days. Un-mold the caramel custard while serving.
- Caramel Custard tastes best when served chilled.
- WARNING: Never ever try to lick the hot caramel or touch it. I know it smells irresistibly good and very tempting but you must control yourself here, because it’s not worth the effort 😀 you’ll get BAD BURNS.
- Always add beaten eggs to the milk when making the custard it will save you so much work. Moreover, you don’t have to strain the custard mixture once done mixing.
- Read the TIPS and Don’t miss the step by step guide mentioned in this post. It’s full of tips and tricks.
- You can also skip using the ramekins and make the Creme Caramel in a baking dish or steel container or even a cake mold that will fit in a 6 quart or 8 quart Instant Pot. Avoid push pans.
- Why use Ramekins? We love portion controlled and portable desserts. Ramekin desserts are conviniet to store, portable, portion controlled and look cute.