Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks and Potatoes is a quick and easy one-pot dinner just like this Instant Pot Chicken thighs and vegetables. The seasoning is outstanding and you’ll always have crisp outer skin, juicy chicken & buttery potatoes with a bonus sauce.
Check out our collection of easy Instant Pot Recipes! You’ll get awesome family dinner ideas here.
Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
You’ll not miss oven baked chicken drumsticks and potatoes ever once you try this easy recipe. The bonus sauce has all the chicken drippings & it’s outright delicious.
The secret is of course our homemade seasonings and how we cook the chicken drumsticks to keep them extra juicy with a crisp outer skin!
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements at the bottom of the post. The list below is just a reference.
- Chicken Drumsticks: Skin on. We used fresh chicken drumsticks. However, if you prefer using frozen drumsticks, do thaw them before proceeding with the recipe.
- Baby potatoes: We used baby gold potatoes. You can use a mix of both red and gold potatoes. We also kept them whole because they were really small. Halve them if the baby potatoes are bigger in size.
- Homemade Seasonings: Paprika (not smoked), thyme, oregano, black pepper powder, red pepper flakes, chili powder & salt. We used this as our chicken rub and also marinated the potatoes.
- Yellow Onion: You can use red onion for greater depth of flavor.
- Garlic: Minced.
- Lemon juice.
- Olive oil: Use either extra light or light olive oil. You can also use the Mediterranean blend.
- Flavor enhancer: Better than Bouillon chicken base. This stuff is so good, adds a huge depth of flavor, enhances the flavor of any dish almost instantly. You won’t miss the store bought chicken stock ever again!
- Liquid: Water.
Tips & Tricks
- Crisp outer skin & juicy chicken: Sear the seasoned chicken drumsticks over high heat until the outer skin turns golden and have some brown spots. This will result in perfect crisp skin and also help lock the juices in the chicken keeping it super moist & tender.
- Best flavor: Marinate the baby potatoes with our homemade seasoning blend for at least 15 mins for best flavor. Do not miss the better than bouillon chicken base. It’ll help elevate the flavor of this one-pot chicken drumsticks and potatoes almost instantly.
- Heat level: Today’s recipe is mildly spicy. For extra spicy add more chili flakes, you can even add diced serrano or jalapenos.
- Buttery, velvety potatoes: Marinate the baby potatoes with our homemade seasoning mix (we used bite size honey gold potatoes) and cook them not more than 4 mins for that perfect buttery, velvety insides and tender outer skin.
- The sauce: Don’t forget to drizzle that awesome sauce all over the chicken drumsticks and baby potatoes while serving. That sauce is so freaking delicious, loaded with the chicken drippings and the amazing flavors of the seasonings.
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks and potatoes?
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements + Video at the bottom of the post.
Step #1 Season chicken, potatoes & sear chicken
- Season chicken drumsticks: Add the paprika, chili powder, thyme, oregano, black pepper powder & a little salt in a small bowl. Whisk to mix well. Than rub the chicken drumsticks very well with this seasonings mixture.
- Marinate baby potatoes: Rinse the baby potatoes, drain and keep them in a large bowl. Throw in the onion & garlic. Add the olive oil and all the dry seasonings like paprika, chili powder, thyme, oregano, black pepper powder & red pepper flakes. Toss them all to coat the potatoes and onion. Set them aside until you are done searing the chicken.
- Sear chicken drumsticks: Set the instant pot on SAUTE function & set it on HIGH heat. Add oil and sear the chicken drumsticks until they have brown spots or turn golden around the edges. Set them aside.
Step #2 Deglaze pot
- Deglaze pot: Pour chicken stock and deglaze the pot very well scraping the bottom and the sides of the pot with the help of a spatula. This will help loosen any stuck food particles and hence, prevent the BURN error. This step is very important so DO NOT rush!
- Layer Potatoes: Add the marinated baby potatoes. Do not mix or stir. Turn off the instant pot.
Step #3 Pressure cook and serve
- Layer Chicken: Now, layer the seared chicken drumsticks on top of the potatoes. DO NOT mix or stir.
- Pressure cook: Secure the lid of the instant pot and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for just 4 mins followed by quick release.
- Serve: Serve the pressure cooked chicken drumsticks and potatoes in a plate and pour the sauce over the chicken and the potatoes. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and enjoy!
What to make with chicken drumsticks and potatoes?
Though chicken drumsticks and potatoes make a wholesome dinner any night, yet if you are looking for a more balanced meal you can add a side. The following works great.
- Instant pot broccoli – Perfectly steamed broccoli florets with a simple seasoning tastes delicious always.
- Sautéed or air fried asparagus with bacon bites and goat cheese or blue cheese crumble.
- Instant pot brussel sprouts – tender brussel sprouts in an amazing seasoning with a bonus sauce.
- A side salad like caprese salad or Caesar salad or any green salad that you love.
Fridge: Pressure cooker chicken drumsticks and potatoes would last for 4 days in the fridge. Always store in air tight containers. Follow the reheating directions shared below.
Freezer: I always love freezing this instant pot chicken drumsticks and potatoes as individual serving instead of freezing the whole pot together. That way it’s easier to thaw and serve. Use good quality freezer safe containers and follow the reheating directions shared below.
How to reheat?
Fridge: Reheat the fridge cold chicken drumsticks and potatoes along with the sauce in the microwave oven until warm or hot.
Freezer: Thaw the frozen chicken drumsticks and potatoes over night in the fridge and than follow the reheating directions shared above.
Yes, you can stack chicken legs in instant pot. If pressure cooking raw chicken legs just season them well prior to stacking.
Overcooked chicken in the instant pot turns out rubbery and chewy. You need to reduce the cook time if your chicken turns rubbery in the instant pot.
Yes, chicken is the easiest thing to overcook in the instant pot. But, you can prevent that from happening once you nail the perfect cook times for every single cut of chicken.
The white stuff coming out from chicken is not harmful, it’s protein and water.
Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks and PotatoesPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 6 Chicken Drumsticks. (**skin on drumsticks. I used organic chicken drumsticks)
- 24 ounce baby potatoes (**we used honey gold bite size potatoes. )
- 1 medium onion (**use yellow or red onion. Dice into 1/2 inch squares and separate the petals. Refer the ingredients photo.)
- 1/2 tbsp garlic (**minced.)
- 1/2 tbsp Better Than Bouillon (**chicken base.)
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (**use light or extra light olive oil. )
Seasonings for chicken
- Season Chicken: Add all the ingredients mentioned above in the “seasonings for chicken” into a large bowl, whisk to mix well. Throw in the chicken drumsticks and coat them well with this seasonings mixture. Set them aside.
- Marinate Potatoes: Rinse and drain the baby potatoes and keep them in a large bowl. Now, throw in the onion & garlic. Add olive oil and everything mentioned in the “For marinating baby potatoes” section above. Coat the potatoes and onion with the seasonings and allow to marinate until you are done searing the chicken.
- Sear Chicken: Set the instant pot on SAUTE & set it on HIGH heat, add oil. When the oil becomes moderately hot gently release the seasoned chicken drumsticks one by one and sear them until they turn golden around the edges and develop some brown spots. This will add so much flavor to the dish! Set them aside once they are seared well.
- Deglaze pot: Pour the water and deglaze the pot very well by scraping the sides and the bottom of the pot with the help of a spatula. This will help loosen any stuck food particles and hence prevent the BURN error! DO NOT rush this step. Also add the lemon juice now.
- Layer Potatoes and Chicken: Cancel the SAUTE mode. Transfer the marinated potatoes and onion into the instant pot. Spread them into a single layer. DO NOT mix or stir. Now, transfer the seared chicken drumsticks and stack or layer them in a single layer. DO NOT stir or mix.
- Pressure Cook: Secure the lid of the instant pot, seal the vent. PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for just 4 mins. Once the cooking cycle is over the instant pot will begin to beep. Immediately perform a quick pressure release by moving the valve from the sealing to the venting position. Open the lid carefully when the metal pin on top of the lid drops.
- Serve: Serve the pressure cooked chicken drumsticks and the baby potatoes on a plate and pour the bonus sauce from the instant pot all over the chicken and the potatoes. Garnish with chopped parsley and enjoy!
- Can I use chicken breast or thighs? Yes, you can use boneless chicken breast or thighs. Follow the same recipe and do not change the cook time.
- Can I use diced potatoes? Yes, you can use diced potatoes instead of baby potatoes. Dice them into 1/2 inch cubes. The cook time would remain the same.
- Skip the red pepper flakes if you are heat intolerant.