Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup is the ultimate comfort food! Perfectly cooked egg noodles, a handful of veggies & tender shredded chicken in a creamy broth. Your whole family will love this thick creamy chicken noodle soup.
Check out our huge collection of easy Instant Pot Recipes!
Easy Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
One pot creamy chicken noodle soup is perfect for a school day lunch or work days! It’s thick, rich and extremely creamy and contains the juiciest chicken ever & non-soggy noodles.
You’ll love this thick creamy chicken noodle soup recipe because it’s made with pantry staple ingredients & won’t take much of your time. Also, you do not have to make the roux separately like this Instant Pot Chicken Wild Rice Soup!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements at the bottom of the post. The list below is just a reference.
- Chicken: You can use either boneless skinless fresh or thawed chicken breasts or thighs. This recipe uses chicken breasts.
- Noodles: Use medium or thick uncooked egg noodles. I used medium egg noodles.
- Aromatics: Yellow onion & garlic.
- Veggies: Carrots & celery.
- All purpose flour: This will help thicken the soup.
- Seasonings: Ground black pepper, thyme, oregano & salt. Use salt according to your own personal taste preference. The salt will help pop the flavors of this creamy instant pot chicken noodle soup.
- Dairy: Use whole milk and heavy whipping cream for an ultimate rich, creamy consistency. You can also sub the whole milk with either fat free or 2% milk and the heavy whipping cream with half & half for a lighter version.
- Better than Bouillon Chicken Base: This stuff is really good and helps elevates the flavor of any recipe. You can stir the better than bouillon chicken base in warm water & form an instant flavorful chicken stock at home. In that case just skip using the store bought chicken stock.
- Liquid: Water + better than bouillon chicken base.
- Cooking fat: Butter & oil. I used extra light olive oil, you can use any neutral oil like canola, sunflower or avocado oil.
- Prevent Soggy overcooked Noodles: Do not pressure cook the noodles. Cook down the noodles along with the creamy broth once the pressure cooking cycle is over. This will prevent the noodles from becoming soggy and mushy. Also, serve the soup immediately to enjoy the best texture!
- Prevent Burn: Deglaze the pot really well by scraping the sides & the bottom of the pot with the help of a spatula. This will help loosen any stuck food particles & prevent the burn error. Do not ever rush this step!
- Less creamy, milder variation: Sub the whole milk with fat free or 2% milk and sub the heavy whipping cream with half & half.
How to make creamy chicken noodle soup from scratch?
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements + Video at the bottom of the post.
Step #1 Sauté aromatics, vegetables
- Sauté the aromatics & veggies in the instant pot on SAUTE mode set on HIGH heat settings. You’ll notice the onions will begin to turn soft.
Step #2 Make quick roux & deglaze pot
- Reduce the heat to LOW and add the all purpose flour and stir briskly for just 1 min. This will prevent the flour from getting stuck at the bottom of the pot.
- CANCEL the SAUTE mode and pour the stock. Deglaze the very well by scraping the sides & the bottom of the pot with the help of your spatula. This will help loosen any stuck food particles from the bottom of the pot & will prevent the burn error!
Step #3 Pressure cook chicken
- Add the seasonings, mix well.
- Add the chicken, the bay leaves and secure the lid of the instant pot, Seal the valve.
- PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 5 mins followed by a quick pressure release.
- Fish out the cooked chicken and shred the chicken with the help of a pair of forks. set it aside.
Step #4 Make creamy broth, cook noodles
- Add the milk and the heavy whipping cream. Give everything a good stir.
- Hit back the SAUTE mode & set it on LOW heat. Add the medium egg noodles and simmer the soup to cook down the noodles. Stir from time to time so that the noodles do not get stuck at the bottom of the pot. This process will also help to thicken the soup.
Step #5 Add shredded chicken, serve soup
- Once the egg noodles are cooked through transfer the shredded chicken into the creamy noodle soup and turn off the instant pot. Give everything a good stir!
- Do a taste test and serve the Instant pot creamy chicken noodle soup immediately for best texture and flavor. Enjoy!
You can store the thick creamy chicken noodle soup instant pot recipe for 3-4 days in the fridge. Use air tight containers to store the soup.
The egg noodles will absorb a lot of the soup liquid. Hence, you need to add more liquid before reheating the soup. Do follow the reheating directions shared below.
Add more stock or milk to the fridge cold one pot creamy chicken noodle soup to bring back the right consistency. Than reheat in the microwave oven until warm or hot.
Noodles tend to soak up a lot of soup liquid, hence, you need to add some more liquid before reheating and serving the soup. Don’t forget to taste test before serving the soup, you may also adjust the seasonings a bit because of the extra liquid.
Can you freeze creamy chicken noodle soup?
If you do not mind a bit soggy noodles you can freeze the soup in individual portion control freezer safe heavy duty containers for upto 2 months.
However, if you hate soggy noodles you may not freeze todays recipe as such. You need to do a few adjustments like – leave out the noodles from the recipe and freeze the rest of the soup as per the instructions give above.
Cook the noodles separately. Thaw the frozen soup overnight in the fridge, reheat the soup (instructions shared above) and than add the cooked noodles to the soup and mix well. No more soggy noodles!
What goes with creamy chicken noodle soup?
This one pot creamy chicken noodle soup tastes best when served with the following:
- Any crusty bread.
- Corn bread.
- French baguette.
- Garlic bread.
- Instant Pot Broccoli.
More Instant Pot Soups
- Lemon chicken orzo soup instant pot.
- Instant pot chicken wild rice soup.
- Chili’s chicken enchilada soup instant pot.
- Instant pot easy lasagna soup.
- Chicken gnocchi soup instant pot.
- Instant pot stuffed pepper soup with sausage.
- Creamy chicken tortilla soup instant pot.
- Unstuffed cabbage roll soup instant pot.
- Instant pot cheesy potato soup.
- Instant pot olive garden zuppa toscana copycat.
I LOVE HEARING FROM YOU! If you try this Instant pot creamy chicken noodle soup recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I would love to hear how it turned out for you, or any changes you make. You can also follow me on Pinterest or subscribe our free NEWLETTER for new recipes every week!
Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Noodle SoupPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 2 cups egg noodles (**Uncooked. I used medium egg noodles.)
- 1 pound chicken (**boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs. Fresh or thawed.)
- ½ tbsp garlic
- 1 cup onion (**yellow onion roughly chopped.)
- 1 cup celery (**roughly chopped.)
- 1 cup carrots (**diced into half moons.)
- ¼ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 4 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil (**use extra light or light olive oil. You can also use any neutral oil like canola, sunflower, avocado oil.)
- 2 Bay leaf
- Salt (to taste) (**use according to your own personal preference.)
- ¼ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp oregano
- 2 cups whole Milk (**or use 2% milk.)
- ⅓ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tbsp Better Than Bouillon (**chicken base)
- 4 cups Water (**warm. Stir the above 1 tbsp better than bouillon chicken base into the warm water to make an instant flavorful chicken stock.)
Sauté aromatics, veggies
- Set the instant pot on SAUTE mode on HIGH heat settings. Add the oil & the butter, when the butter begins to melt add the onion, carrots & celery. Sauté for 2 mins. Next, add the garlic and sauté for another 1 min.
Make the quick roux, deglaze pot
- Lower the heat to LOW. You can adjust the heat in the SAUTE mode by pressing the "sauté" button more than once. Add the flour and stir briskly for 1 min to avoid burning the flour. CANCEL the SAUTE mode and pour the stock. Deglaze the pot very well by scraping the sides and the bottom of the pot with the help of the spatula. This will help loosen any stuck food particles from the bottom of the pot and prevent the BURN error! DO NOT rush this step!
Pressure cook chicken
- Now, add the seasonings, salt and bay leaves into the instant pot. Give everything a quick stir and add the boneless skinless thawed or fresh chicken breasts or thighs (I used breasts) into the instant pot. Secure the lid of the instant pot and seal the valve. PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for just 5 mins. Once the pressure cooking cycle is over the instant pot will begin to beep. Perform a quick pressure release immediately by manually moving the valve from the sealing to the venting position. Carefully open the lip once the metal pin on top of the lid drops.
- Now, fish out the cooked chicken with the help of a pair of tongs and place them onto a plate. With the help of a pair of forks shred the chicken and set it aside.
Cook egg noodles
- Hit the SAUTE mode and set it on LOW heat setting. Now, add the milk & the heavy whipping cream into the instant pot. Give everything a good stir. Fish out the bay leaves and discard. Next, add the uncooked egg noodles into the instant pot and simmer the soup to cook down the noodles. Stir frequently. This will also help thicken the soup.
Serve Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Now, transfer the shredded chicken into the instant pot. Give everything a good stir, do a taste test. Add more seasonings of you feel like. Serve & enjoy the easy instant pot chicken creamy noodle soup!
- Whole milk sub: You can use fat free or 2% milk. In that case the soup will be less creamy.
- Heavy whipping cream sub: You can use same amount half and half.
- Soup consistency: Todays instant pot creamy chicken noodle soup is rich, thick & creamy. If you prefer brothy soup you can always adjust the consistency by adding more chicken stock.
- Can I use wide egg noodles? Yes, you can use wide egg noodles. Add the same quantity.