Instant Pot Easy Lasagna Soup with sausage, ricotta cheese and Mozzarella is packed with hefty flavors. This Pressure cooker Lasagna soup has all the right notes of a traditional Lasagna minus all the hard work. You can make it under 30 minutes just like this Pasta e Fagioli Soup.
Check out our huge collection of easy Instant Pot Recipes.
Note: This post has been updated with reheating directions, serving Ideas, frequently asked questions!
Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
This Instant Pot Lasagna Soup would quench your crazy Lasagna cravings in a jiffy. Make it with ground beef or sausage or both just like this Stuffed Pepper Soup.
It has all the right notes of a traditional Lasagna and makes a hearty filling one-pot meal all by itself. You won’t need any sides at all. And it makes quite a lot, todays recipe would nicely feed 6 and you can even stretch it to 8 people.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements at the bottom of the post. The list below is just a reference.
- Lasagna Sheets: We love to break them into ½ inch wide pieces (refer the picture above).
- Ground Meat: We used ground Italian Sausage (mild). You can use only ground beef or 1:1 ground beef : ground sausage. So yum!
- Aromatics: Yellow onion and garlic.
- Tomatoes: Italian style diced tomatoes ( a must, makes a huge difference in flavor!), store bought Marinara Sauce and tomato paste.
- Seasonings: Italian seasoning, Oregano, Black Pepper powder, red pepper flakes (for a mild kick, increase the amount if you prefer spicy food), Balsamic Vinegar.
- Liquid: Chicken Stock. We love Better Than Bouillon paste or cubes diluted in hot water. Amazing flavor.
- Cooking fat: We chose light olive oil.
- Garnish: Ricotta Cheese and Mozzarella Cheese, fresh chopped flat leaf parsley.
Tips for success
- Break the Lasagna Sheets: ½ inch wide small pieces lasagna sheets makes a great soup. It makes it easier to eat the soup and also make the sheets so much more manageable in the soup.
- Brown the ground meat: Brown the ground sausage or any ground meat that you choose to use. This will almost instantly boost the flavor of the soup. You can discard the excess fat if you wish.
- Amazing seasonings: We strongly recommend using all the seasonings mentioned in today’s recipe. It makes the soup delicious.
- Italian style diced tomatoes: This is that one amazingly surprising ingredient that adds a whole lot of deliciousness to the soup. Don’t miss this one ingredient.
- Leftovers: This soup doesn’t do well as a left over meal because the lasagna sheets absorb a lot of liquid and tend to become very soft. This Instant Pot Lasagna soup tastes best when made fresh and served immediately.
- Storing tip: If you plan to store the soup for future use, cook the Pasta and the soup separately. Also, store them separately in different containers. Mix the cooked pasta in the soup while serving. This will prevent the pasta from turning mushy.
- Ricotta and Mozzarella: We do not prefer the cheeses stirred in and mixed with the whole pot of soup. Instead we prefer to serve the soup in individual bowls and garnish with Ricotta and Mozzarella. This way one can add more or less cheese into their individual bowls according to their liking.
How to make Lasagna Soup in Instant Pot?
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements + Video at the bottom of the post.
Step #1 Brown ground Meat
Set the Instant Pot on SAUTE and keep it on HIGH heat mode. Add oil and brown the ground meat, we used mild ground Italian Sausage.
This step is crucial and it adds a ton of amazing flavor to the Lasagna Soup. Do not skip it!
Step#2 Saute aromatics & seasonings
Add onion and garlic and saute well for about 1-2 minutes. Throw in the dry seasonings and saute another 1-2 mins. The onion will begin to turn soft by now.
Step #3 De-glaze pot add lasagna sheets
Add the chicken stock and de-glaze the pot very well scraping the sides and the bottom of the pot with the help of a spatula. There should not be any food particles stuck at the bottom of the pot. This will help prevent the BURN error.
Now add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes and Balsamic vinegar and give everything a good stir.
Break the Lasagna sheets into 1 inch wide pieces and add them into the pot. With the help of the spatula push down the lasagna noodles under the liquid as much as you can. DO NOT stir the ingredients.
Step #4 Pressure Cook
Add the Marinara Sauce sauce over the Lasagna sheets. Pour the sauce in a way to cover all the lasagna sheets. DO NOT stir.
Secure the lid of the Instant Pot and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 5 minutes followed by quick pressure release (QPR).
Open the lid and give everything a good mix by stirring the soup gently with the help of a spatula.
Step #5 Garnish and serve
For best flavor and texture serve the soup right away and top it with a generous amount of Mozzarella cheese and Ricotta Cheese. Sprinkle some freshly chopped flat leaf parsley.
You can also dump the cheese in the pot and secure the lid, wait for 5 mins or until the cheese melts. Scoop into serving bowls and enjoy! We prefer to use the cheese in individual soup bowls rather than dumping it all in the pot.
How to make Lasagna Soup in Crockpot?
Slow cooker lasagna soup is easy to make.
- Brown the meat: Brown the ground sausage in a skillet over high heat. When the meat is nearly browned add the onion, garlic and all the dry seasonings and saute for another 3-4 minutes or until the onion begins to turn tender.
- Assemble the soup in Crockpot: Transfer the browned sausage into the crockpot. Add the chicken stock, balsamic vinegar, the tomato paste, diced tomatoes and the Marinara sauce. Give everything a good stir.
- Slow cook: Cover the crockpot with lid and slow cook on LOW for 8 hours and on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Cooking Pasta in the soup: Now, if you want to cook the pasta in the soup add the broken Lasagna sheets into the soup during the final 30 minutes. Cover and cook. Once done serve the soup right away with Mozzarella and ricotta cheese.
- Cooking Pasta separately: If you want to freeze or store the soup for future, cook the pasta separately on the stove top following the package instructions. Drain, fold gently with few teaspoons of olive oil and store. This will prevent the cooked pasta from sticking to each other. Mix the cooked pasta in the soup when you are ready to serve. Don’t forget the cheeses. Enjoy!
Leftovers & storage
Fridge In case you have some left overs store them in the fridge in air tight containers for up to 2 days. Make sure to add more liquid while re-heating the soup. The pasta will certainly turn fall apart tender.
The Lasagna Soup with Sausage tastes best when served right away. Because, the longer the pasta sits in the soup the mushier it will get. The cooked pasta absorbs a tremendous amount of liquid.
Can Lasagna Soup be frozen? Yes Lasagna Soup can be frozen but without the Pasta or Lasagna Sheets. Skip cooking the pasta in the soup, instead cook the pasta separately on the stove top or in the Instant Pot. Drain and freeze in a separate container.
Cook the soup without the Pasta and freeze in a different container. Keep enough space between the liquid and the lid of the container because soup expands when frozen.
Thaw and mix the pasta with the soup while re-heating. Serve with Mozzarella and Ricotta cheese.
How to reheat
Microwave Oven: You can reheat this easy lasagna soup in the microwave oven until warm or hot.
Stove top: You can also reheat this soup in a heavy bottomed saucepan on the stove top over medium heat. Stir frequently to prevent the soup from burning. If you feel that the soup has thickened a lot, add water or broth to thin out the soup as per your liking.
What goes with Lasagna soup?
Lazy Lasagna Soup is a complete meal all by itself. It’s super filling and delicious. But, if you are looking to cater guests or do not want to consume a lot of soup than you can try pairing the soup with any of these options:
- Cheesy Garlic Bread.
- Bread Sticks.
- A light crisp salad.
- Lightly toasted sour dough bread.
- Corn bread.
- Regular crusty bread like sourdough..
- Seasoned steamed broccoli.
- Seasoned steamed carrots.
- Seasoned steamed green beans.
You can thicken Lasagna soup by adding cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon cornstarch in 1 tablespoons water to form a slurry). It’s an amazing quick thickener.
Yes Lasagna Soup can be frozen but without the Pasta or Lasagna Sheets. Skip cooking the pasta in the soup, instead cook the pasta separately on the stove top or in the Instant Pot. Drain and freeze in a separate container. Cook the soup without the Pasta and freeze in a different container. Keep enough space between the liquid and the lid of the container because soup expands when frozen.
More Instant pot soup recipes you’ll love
- Olive Garden copycat pasta e fagioli soup.
- Lemon chicken orzo soup instant pot.
- Alaskan salmon chowder
- Tom Kha Gai Soup Instant Pot.
- Instant pot creamy chicken noodle soup.
- Instant pot chicken wild rice soup.
- Chili’s chicken enchilada soup instant pot.
- Instant pot stuffed pepper soup with sausage.
- Creamy chicken tortilla soup instant pot.
- Instant pot chicken corn chowder.
- Unstuffed cabbage roll soup instant pot.
- New England clam chowder instant pot.
- Instant pot Olive Garden zuppa toscana copycat.
- Instant pot cheesy potato soup.
- Creamy chicken tortellini soup.
- Herbed white bean and sausage stew.
- Lamb stew recipe instant pot.
Readers thoughts who tried the recipe
Sooo yummy. Made this for dinner tonight! Was a 10 out of 10 from the fam.”– Jackie Jillson Thiesen.
I LOVE HEARING FROM YOU! If you try this Instant pot lasagna soup recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I would love to hear how it turned out for you, or any changes you make. You can also follow me on Pinterest or subscribe our free NEWLETTER for new recipes every week!
Instant Pot Easy Lasagna SoupPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 1 pound Ground Italian Sausage (**454 g. You can use only ground beef or 1:1 ground beef : ground Sausage. We used mild Italian Sausage.)
- 9 sheets Lasagna (**broken into 1 inch wide pieces. Refer photo and video.)
- 1 cup onion (**roughly chopped. Use yellow onion.)
- 1.5 tbsp garlic (**minced)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (**diluted in 4 tbsp water.)
- 14.5 ounce Canned Diced Tomatoes (**1 can Italian diced tomatoes. 411 g.)
- 23 ounce Marinara Sauce (**652 g. 1 jar Marinara Sauce.)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil (**Light or Extra light olive oil.)
- Salt (**according to taste.)
- 3 cups Chicken Stock (**We used 2 tbsp Better than Bouillon paste diluted in 3 cups hot water. )
- ¾ cups Ricotta Cheese (**scoop and serve it on top of the soup in individual bowls.)
- ¾ cups Mozzarella Cheese (**pre-packaged Mozzarella. Top the soup with the cheese in individual bowls. Use as much as you want.)
- Brown the Sausage: Set the Instant Pot on SAUTE function and set it on HIGH heat mode. Add oil and when the oil becomes moderately hot gently release the ground sausage and saute until nicely browned.
- Saute Aromatics & Seasonings: Add the chopped onion and garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes. Than. add all the dry seasonings mentioned in the "Seasonings" section above in the ingredients section. Saute another 1-2 mins or until the onion begins to turn soft. CANCEL the SAUTE function.
- De-Glaze Pot: Pour the chicken stock and de-glaze the pot really well by scraping the sides and the bottom of the pot with the help of a spatula to loosen any stuck food particles. This is very important and will prevent the BURN error.
- Add Lasagna Sheets: Now, add the tomato paste, canned Italian style diced tomatoes & the Balsamic vinegar. Give everything a quick stir. Than, add the broken Lasagna Sheets into the pot. Gently push them towards the bottom of the pot as much as you can so that they are covered with the liquid. DO NOT stir or mix.
- Pressure Cook: Now, pour the Marinara sauce all over the Lasagna sheets so that they get completely covered with the sauce. This is important. DO NOT stir. Secure the lid of the Instant Pot seal the valve and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 5 minutes. It'll take about 10-15 mins to build the pressure as it's a lot of soup.
- Quick Pressure Release: Once, the pressure cooking cycle is over perform a quick pressure release (QPR) manually by moving the valve from the sealing to the venting position. Open the lid carefully. Note: If you want a thinner soup now is the time to add an extra cup of chicken stock, you can also add more according to your preference.
- Stir & Serve: Stir the Lasagna Soup gently to mix everything in the pot. Dish out the soup and top it with Mozzarella and Ricotta Cheese. We love chopped fresh parsley as well. Dig in! Enjoy.
- Important: For best flavors and texture of the Lasagna sheets serve the soup right away. The longer the pasta sits in the soup the softer it becomes.
- Ground Meat: You can make this Lasagna soup with ground Italian Sausage or 1:1 ground sausage : ground beef or use completely ground beef. You can also make this soup with ground turkey for a healthier version.
- Cheese: Ricotta, Mozzarella and Parmesan tastes amazing in this soup. However, we love only ricotta and mozzarella. You can add Parmesan too.
- Chicken Stock: Keep some stock handy so that you can control the consistency of the soup. We prefer the soup thicker. If you prefer thinner soups you can always add more stock to adjust the consistency.
- Left overs tip: If you plan for leftovers or want to make a huge batch for future use do not cook the pasta in the soup. Instead cook the pasta separately and store the soup and the pasta in different containers. When you are ready to serve add the cooked pasta into the soup, top with cheeses and enjoy! This way the pasta will not turn mushy.
- Quantity: This soup is quite filling and makes a lot.
- For a spicy soup: Add more red pepper flakes.
- Soup consistency: The soup thickens further as it cools down. If you plan to eat it later than do add splashes of stock as per your liking while re-heating the soup.
- Ricotta Cheese: If you prefer the ricotta stirred in the whole pot of soup you can certainly do that. We just do not prefer doing that and so we chose to serve the soup topped with ricotta and Mozzarella instead of stirring them into the whole pot of soup.