Instant Pot Dulce De Leche no can is the quickest dulce de leche that you can whip up in your Instant Pot with just 1 ingredient in less than an hour. Creamy, buttery, smooth, thick, sticky & packed with intense caramelized flavors. Learn how to make Dulce de Leche fast with amazing tips.
Table Of Contents
Instant Pot Dulce de Leche no Can
Instant Pot Dulche De Leche is a true game changer!
Just one ingredient and the Instant Pot will cook it for you. Absolutely hands free, fuss-free, easy and quick Dulce De Leche that anyone can make.
You can use it in a slew of desserts as a topping & a filling, imagine cheesecake & ice cream!
You can serve it as a dessert all by itself. Scoop it in small ramekins with a sprinkle of sea salt. A sinful indulgence anytime 😀
It can be an amazing dipping sauce for fruits like apples, peaches, pears.
And it makes an incredible delicious spread over toasts, pancakes, crepes, cookies & muffins.
Super versatile quick Dulce De leche recipe that get’s done in less than an hour!
Dulce De Leche vs Caramel
Dulche De Leche is prepared by slowly heating milk and sugar for several hours until it changes into a a thick sticky substance that has a caramel color and a rich intense flavor. This is due to the Maillard reaction – a reaction between the amino acids of the milk and the reducing sugars.
A quick Dulce De Leche is made by pressure cooking a can of condensed milk.
Whereas, Caramel is made by heating only sugar or sugar with a splash of water until the sugar caramelizes and forms a thick brown or dark amber sauce like substance.
Sometimes a splash of heavy cream & butter can also be added to the caramel to give it a saucy consistency perfect for pouring over ice-creams and other desserts.
Dulce De Leche Vs Caramel: Dulce De Leche = Milk + Sugar + Longer cooking time. And Caramel = Sugar or sugar+water + shorter cooking time.
Tips & Tricks
- You can make Instant Pot Dulce De Leche in ramekins, mason jars, food grade stainless steel containers or in the condensed milk manufacturers can itself. However, I do not prefer cooking it in the tin can as chemicals might leach into the finished product from the tin can. This is totally a personal preference.
- Make sure to submerge the covered containers in water so that it comes up to 1 inch from the top of the container and submerge half way in water in case of ramekins.
- Ramekins (cover tightly with aluminum foil), Mason Jars ( put the lid finger tight & not very tight, they should not be loose either, you can cover the jars with foil as well & ditch the lids), steel containers (use foil to cover them tightly), Manufacturers tin can (peel the paper labels & remove the lid, cover the top tightly with foil). I would not recommend to cook the cans with sealed lids, there’s always a chance of explosion.
- Instant Pot Dulche De Leche cooking time: Pale caramel color – 30 mins, Intense Brown color – 60 mins, Gorgeous Caramel Color – 45 mins (refer all photos).
- A thin layer of water might collect on the surface of the finished dulce ce leche when cooked in a sealed container with foil. It’s quiet normal. Drain that excess water and than whisk the dulce de leche. It won’t impact the taste or the texture of the finished product.
- Allow the containers too cool down before removing the covers. Dulce De Leche is bubbling hot when just out from the pot. So, be very careful.
- Whisk the Dulce de leche with a fork or a hand whisk until it resembles a silky smooth consistency.
How many condensed milk cans or ramekins or mason jars you can cook together in an Instant Pot? In a 6 quart Instant Pot you can comfortably cook 3 small ramekins or 3 mason jars or 3 condensed milk cans together at the same time. The cooking time remains the same!
*Steps in words below step photos
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements way below the post on the “Recipe Card“.
Step #1 Prep Ramekins
Pop open the condensed milk can and pour the content to 3 small ramekins.
I would not recommend making the Dulce De Leche in the manufacturers tin can because harmful chemicals might leach out from the metal into the finished product.
But, again if you still want to do it that way you can, in that case, remove the lid of the tin can to avoid the chances of explosion and wrap the mouth tightly with aluminum foil.
The rest of the process remains the same.
Step #2 Pressure Cook the condensed milk in Ramekins
Pour water inside the steel pot of the Instant Pot and place the metal trivet.
Wrap the mouths of all the ramekins with aluminum foil tightly.
Place the ramekins on the metal trivet and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 45 minutes followed by a complete Natural Pressure Release (NPR).
Open the lid carefully and allow the ramekins to cool down a bit inside the pot itself.
Once, they are warm to the touch un-wrap the ramekins.
Now, there might be a thin layer of condensation water at the surface of the dulce de leche and the color of the top layer might look quiet pale.
Don’t worry just drain that excess water and whisk the dulce de leche with a fork to give it a smooth silky sticky consistency.
You’ll have a gorgeous colored dulce de leche just underneath that pale top layer. The top layer sometimes looks pale due to the accumulation of the condensation water.
How do you use Dulce De Leche?
You can use Dulce De Leche the following ways:
- As a Topping: Cheesecakes, Ice-creams, Cookies, brownies.
- Filling: Tres Leche Cake, Macarons, donuts, tastes heavenly in peanut butter sandwich.
- As a spread: Muffins, Crepes, Toasts, pancakes, split banana.
- Dipping Sauce: Sliced apples, peaches, pears, strawberries.
- As a Dessert as such: Serve in small containers or ramekins and sprinkle a dash of sea salt.
Dulce De Leche is a confection from Latin America.
Dulce De Leche will keep for 2 weeks in the fridge.
Yes, Dulce De Leche made in Instant Pot with condensed milk can be frozen for up to 3 months and used later.
Yes, dulce de leche can be heated in a microwave oven. Drizzle a few drops of milk, stir and re-heat in the microwave oven. Whisk and enjoy!
Increasing the cooking time will make Dulce De Leche Darker. The longer you cook it the darker it will be. For instance, Dulce De Leche that’s cooked for 60 mins will be darker than the one that’s been cooked for 30 mins.
You can soften dulche dulce de leche by re-heating it in the microwave oven and than whisking it with a fork.
Dulce De Leche is a super addictive sweet, sticky, thick, smooth sauce with an intense caramel flavor made by pressure cooking sweetened condensed milk.
More Instant Pot Desserts:
Instant Pot Dulce De Leche No CanPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 1 can Sweetened condensed milk. (14 ounce)
- 6 cups Water
- Open the can of a condensed milk and pour the content into 3 small clean and moisture free ramekins.
- Cover the mouth of the ramekins tightly with the help of aluminum foil.
- Pour 6 cups water into the steel pot of the Instant Pot. Place the metal trivet inside the pot.
- Arrange the ramekins on the metal trivet. The water level will come to half way the ramekins.
- Secure the lid of the Instant Pot and seal the valve. PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 45 minutes.
- When the pressure cooking cycle is over the Instant Pot will begin to beep. Wait for a complete Natural Pressure Release (NPR).
- When the metal pin drops open the lid of the pot carefully. Wait until the ramekins cool down a bit.
- Once the ramekins are warm to the touch carefully open the foil covers. There might be a little condensation water on the surface of the dulce de leche. It's quiet normal, just drain it and than whisk the dulce de leche with the help of a fork to form a silky smooth consistency. The consistency of un whisked dulce de leche is like yogurt.
- Enjoy as a dessert or a spread, filling, topping etc.
- Measuring Units used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.
- 6 quarts Instant Pot will fit: 3 small ramekins, 3 condensed milk cans, 3 small mason jars.
- Water Quanity: The water level should reach half way the container.
- Can I cook condensed milk cans directly? Yes, you can but I would not recommend doing that as tin cans might leach harmful chemicals into the Dulce De Leche. You can pour the condensed milk into ramekins, mason jars or food grade stainless steel containers and cook them to make the dulce de leche.
- Why my Dulce De Leche is chunky & not smooth? Dulce De Leche just out of the pot and un-whisked is chunky or rather has a consistency of yogurt. You need to whisk it with a fork or a hand whisk for a few minutes to make it silky smooth.
- How to know that Dulce De Leche is done? Dip a spoon and drag it, if a lasting sticky ribbon forms that means that the Dulce De Leche is cooked right or done.
- My Dulce De Leche has water on the top: A thin layer of water might collect on the surface of the cooked Dulce De Leche due to condensation. It’s quiet normal. The color of the top layer might look pale. that’s normal too. Drain the excess water and than whisj the dulce de leche with a fork to have an incredible gorgeous golden or brown dulce de leche that’s wonderfully smooth and silky.
- STORING TIPS: Lasts for 2 weeks in the fridge. Lasts for 2 months when frozen.
- Dulce De Leche thickens as it cools down. Whisk it to bring back the luscious smooth silky consistency.
- 30 mins High Pressure + NPR: Light golden Dulce De Leche.
- 45 mins High Pressure + NPR: Gorgeous Caramel colored Dulce De Leche.
- 60 mins High Pressure + NPR: Light Brown Dulce De Leche. This one is quiet dark and rich.