This is the Best Instant Pot New York Cheesecake Recipe you’ll ever make. Delicious, decadent, creamy, dense New York Style Cheesecake that’s what you are going to get. The post covers a complete Step by Step tutorial of Pressure Cooker New York Cheesecake with amazing Tips & Tricks.
Browse a huge collection of easy INSTANT POT RECIPES from Foodies Terminal.
Table Of Contents
Instant Pot New York Cheesecake 1st place winner
It took me a while and lots of homework to perfect the skills of making an Instant Pot New York Cheesecake Recipe or rather any cheesecake.
Once you learn the whole process of making an Instant Pot New York style cheesecake and know the tips and tricks that actually work things won’t be difficult, the recipe will be a success and you’ll have a proud moment to celebrate 😀
At the same time, it can go very wrong if you overdo the steps or don’t follow the instructions. Happened to me so many times.
Hence, I decided to compile all my learning from mistakes and every little adjustment that I made to nail this Best Instant Pot New York Cheesecake Recipe under one roof. Let’s begin….
Instant Pot New York Cheesecake Recipe Ingredients
- Cream Cheese at room temperature.
- Eggs at room temperature.
- Sour Cream at Room Temperature.
- Vanilla Extract.
- Melted Butter.
- White Sugar.
- Brown Sugar.
- Corn Starch.
- Crushed Graham Crackers.
Instant Pot New York Cheesecake – Tips & Tricks
1. The Cheesecake Pan
- Choose a spring form pan or a push pan with removal bottom. It’s much easier to pop out a cooked cheesecake from these pans without cosmetic damage.
- Grease the pan with cooking spray or butter. You’ll be rewarded with flawless cheesecake edges.
- For flawless edges & easy release you may even line the inside of the pan ring with parchment paper.
2. The Graham Cracker Cheesecake Crust
To make a good cheesecake it’s essential that you make a delicious crust first. A crust that doesn’t fall apart while slicing the cheesecake.
- 1 & 1/4 cups finely crushed graham crackers works perfect for a 6″ springform pan. It shall give you a nice & a little less than 1/2″ crust. If you love thinner crusts go for 1 cup crushed graham crackers.
- Take the help of a food processor or a blender to crush the graham crackers. It saves time and makes a really good fine crust without any bigger crumbs.
- DO NOT press the graham cracker crust too hard while setting it into the pan. I learned it the hard way! This is VERY important, if you press it too hard for a long time the cheesecake crust becomes very stiff and you have to struggle to slice it. Press it with the back of a glass or your palm.
- Chill the crust in the freezer while you prep the rest of the recipe,10 mins to be precise. The chilling process helps set the cheesecake crust very well & it won’t fall apart while slicing.
3. The New York Cheesecake batter
- All ingredients must be at the room temperature. Beating cold ingredients will lead to a lumpy cheesecake and it won’t bake evenly as well.
- Do not over beat the Cream cheese. Or to say do not over mix the ingredients. Over mixing will incorporate too much air into the batter. As a result, it will lead to a fluffy filling and hence, you’ll end up with a soufflé like cheesecake which we don’t want to happen anyway.
- Never mix the ingredients at high speed. Low Speed is the key to success.
- Just mix enough to incorporate each ingredient. You must never beat a cheesecake batter like a cake batter.
- Whisk the eggs separately before adding them to the batter. Believe me guys this helps a lot, I read it in an article by Martha Stewart and this tip works like a charm. Whisking the eggs actually breaks those tough transparent albumin. As a result this helps to incorporate the eggs into the filling much faster preventing over-mixing.
- Mix one egg at a time and just incorporate them into the filling. Over mixing the eggs will incorporate too much air into the cheesecake filling making it light & fluffy. As a result your cheesecake will puff up while baking, later collapse and crack when cooled. It’ll also become soft like souffle.
- Knock out those air bubbles by tapping the cheesecake pan a number of times on the counter top. With each tap the air bubbles will surface up & burst. Popping the air bubbles is an art and if you are good at it you’ll get incredible results and a smooth cheesecake top that you dream about. Alternatively you may slowly stir the filling with a fork to burst the air bubbles.
- Do not skip the cornstarch. It adds incredible creaminess, improves the texture of the Instant Pot New York Cheesecake and also prevents cracking.
4. Cooking the New York style Cheesecake
- You may cook the Cheesecake covered (with an aluminum foil) or uncovered. Covering the Cheesecake before pressure cooking is not mandatory at all. It might be helpful if you forget to open the lid of the Instant Pot after the natural pressure release. Condensation water collects fast on top of the cheesecake after the pressure from the IP is released completely, so if you are forgetful cover it 😀
- Avoid over cooking. This is one more factor that contributes hugely to surface cracking. The cheesecake will also loose its creaminess and become dry & firm.
- Open the lid of the Instant Pot slowly & gradually. The sudden shift in temperature may also cause surface cracks.
- Allow the hot cheesecake to come down to room temperature naturally and slowly. You may place it on the counter top or even keep it inside the Instant Pot that’s turned off with an open lid. Don’t skimp on this slow and gradual cooling process. It’s hard to resist at this point but you don’t want to ruin the fruits of your labor 😀
- Check for right doneness. A slight jiggly center is what you want. The residual heat will set the jiggly center and it will be perfectly cooked by the time the cheesecake comes down to room temperature slowly & gradually.
PRO TIP: Covering and cooking the Cheesecake reduces the risk of condensation build up. However, it never guarantees prevention of surface cracks and dents because smooth tops are not entirely condensation dependent. If you decide to cook it without the cover the cooking time will reduce by 30% which is 31 mins for a 6″X 3″ pan and 27 mins for a 7″ pan.
5. Chilling the Instant Pot New York Cheesecake
- It’s very important that you allow the cheesecake to completely come down to room temperature before chilling it in the fridge. The gradual cooling process prevents it from cracking. The residual heat cooks the jiggly center and sets it.
- Set the hot Cheesecake on the counter top to bring it down to room temperature even better don’t bring it out from the Instant Pot, turn off the Instant Pot and keep it’s lid open.
- Chill it in the fridge for at least 8 hours or overnight. You’ll end up with a perfect dense but creamy cheesecake.
6. Slicing and Releasing the Cheesecake
- After about 15 mins of chilling the Cheesecake run a pairing knife around it’s edges to get a smooth, damage free release from the cake pan. Cheesecakes happen to shrink when cooled. The edges do come off naturally from the rim of the cake pan. Moreover, greasing the pan also leads to a smooth release.
- Slowly unlatch the spring form pan and place the cake tin on top of an empty glass and gently push the rim of the pan towards the bottom of the glass. Clean edges guaranteed.
- Dip a knife in hot water, wipe off and slice the New York style Cheesecake. Repeat the process for each slice.
If you love Instant Pot desserts do try out these easy Instant Pot desserts from Foodies Terminal.
Instant Pot New York Cheesecake RecipePrint Recipe Pin Rate
For the Cheesecake Crust
For the Cheesecake Filling
- 16 ounces cream cheese at room temperature (454 gms / 2 blocks cream cheese )
- 1/2 cup sour cream at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or essence
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2/3 cups regular white sugar
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
For New York Cheesecake Topping
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or essence
- 2 tbsp normal white sugar
- 6 inch springform cake pan
- 1 cup normal water
- 15 oz Cherry Pie Filling (425 gms or 1 can)
Prep the Springform Cheesecake Pan
- Take enough softened butter and grease the inside of the Cheesecake pan very well. You may also spray it with cooking oil spray instead of greasing it with butter.
- You may also line the base and the sides of the cheesecake pan with parchment paper. This step is optional. Greasing the pan itself shall help you with an easy release of the cooked Cheesecake.
Making the New York Cheesecake Crust
- Add the graham crackers in a food processor or blender and grind them into a fine powder.
- Transfer the graham cracker powder to a bowl, add the brown sugar and melted butter. Mix everything with the help of a fork or spoon until a wet sand consistency forms.
- Now, transfer the graham crackers mixture into the greased, lined cheesecake pan. Evenly spread the mixture with the help of your hand or a spoon. Gently press the mixture with a flat glass or jar. You can press down the edges with the help of your fingers or a spoon. The crust should firm up in an even layer. DO NOT press the crust too hard or else it will be impossible to slice the cheesecake later.
- Pop the cheesecake inside the freezer and allow it to rest while you proceed with the filling preparation. This will help set the crust wonderfully well.
Making the New York Style Cheesecake Filling
- Make sure the cream cheese, the sour cream and the eggs are at room temperature. Read NOTES below.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a bowl (the sugar and the cornstarch). Keep aside.
- Next, add the room temperature cream cheese in a big mixing bowl. Break the slabs with the help of the lowest setting in your hand mixer. 20 seconds approx.
- Now, add half of the sugar cornstarch mixture, beat with the help of your hand mixer kept at the lowest setting until just incorporated. It should take you 30-40 seconds approx.
- Add the rest of the sugar mixture and mix until just incorporated using the same speed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with the help of a rubber spatula.
- Now, add the sour cream and the vanilla extract and beat together until just incorporated, 30-40 seconds approx. Keep the speed of your hand mixer at the lowest setting always.
- Whisk the room temperature eggs in a separate bowl with the help of a whisk. This step helps to easily and quickly incorporate the eggs into the batter and prevents from over mixing the batter.
- Pour half of the whisked eggs into the batter and just incorporate with the help of your hand mixer kept at the lowest setting. Repeat this step once again for the rest of the whisked egg. This is known as mixing one egg at a time. This is VERY IMPORTANT that you do not over beat or over mix the eggs at this stage.
- Pour the cheesecake batter into the cheesecake pan. Even out the batter with the help of a rubber spatula.
- Burst the air bubbles in the batter by tapping the cheesecake pan a number of times on the kitchen counter top. This helps the air bubbles to surface on the top of the filling and burst them. You can also gently stir the cheesecake filling with the help of a fork to pop the air bubbles. Now, the cheesecake is ready to be cooked.
Making the New York Cheesecake in the Instant Pot
- Pour 1 cup water in the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Put the metal trivet inside the Inner pot of the Instant Pot.
- Carefully place the cheesecake pan on the trivet.
- If you want you can even cover the cheesecake pan top with the help of an aluminum foil. The cooking time will vary for covered and uncovered cheesecake pan. Read the NOTES below for DETAILS.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot. Seal the valve and press the PRESSURE COOK button and set it on HIGH pressure for 31 mins. Do a complete Natural Pressure Release. For COVERED Cheesecake the Pressure Cooking time should be 40 mins & than natural pressure release.
- Slowly and gradually open the lid of the Instant Pot without dropping the condensation water on the cheesecake.
- Turn off the Instant Pot and allow the cooked cheesecake to rest inside the pot until it comes down to room temperature slowly and gradually. Should take you somewhere 1 hour approx. You can also put it on a wire rack to cool down to room temperature.
Preparing the New York Cheesecake Topping
- In a bowl add 1/2 cup sour cream, 2 tbsp sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Whisk with the help of a whisk or a fork until a smooth silky mixture forms and the sugar is completely mixed with the sour cream.
- Pour this topping on the cooked and cooled cheesecake and spread it evenly with the help of a spatula.
Chilling and slicing the Cheesecake
- Pop the New York style cheesecake in the fridge and allow it to rest for at least 8 hours or over night before slicing and serving.
- After 8 hours bring out the Cheesecake from the fridge. Place it on the top of an empty drinking glass. Unlatch the springform pan gently and slowly. Push the cheesecake pan rim towards the bottom of the glass to gently release the cooled cheesecake from the pan.
- Dip a knife in hot water, wipe it dry and slice the cheesecake. Repeat the step with each slice. You can serve the cheesecake with cherry pie filling. We love it! Enjoy.
- Measuring units used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.
- Instant Pot Used = 6 quart DUO
- Cake Pan used = 6″ x 3″ Springform Cheesecake Pan.
- If Using 7″ pan REDUCE COOKING TIME by 4 mins.
- VERY IMPORTANT: Before proceeding with the recipe make sure that all the ingredients are at room temperature. Otherwise you will end up with a lumpy, souffle like Cheesecake.
- Grease the Cheesecake pan very well with butter or cooking spray. This will prevent the cheesecake from sticking with the pan sides. You’ll end up with undamaged and smooth beautiful edges.
- For thinner graham cracker crust – Use 1 cup finely ground graham crackers.
- If using Honey Graham Crackers – Use 2 teaspoons brown sugar.
- If using unsweetened graham crackers – Use 2 tablespoons or more brown sugar according to your taste preference.
- For a slightly thicker crust – Use 1 – 1/4cups finely ground graham crackers.
- Choose a hand mixer over a stand mixer. It’s easier to prevent over mixing with a hand mixer because you have much better ccontrol.
- For a firmer, denser Cheesecake do not mix each ingredient for more than 30-40 seconds each. You need to just incorporate each ingredient.
- For Creamier Cheesecake increase the mixing time of each ingredient upto 50 seconds to 1 min.
- Mix one egg at a time. This will prevent over mixing. You need to always incorporate the eggs into the batter and never mix them for too long.
- Cooking time with aluminum foil cover? If you choose to cover the cheesecake pan with a temporary aluminum foil to avoid condensation build up cook it for 40 mins of HIGH PRESSURE. Pan size = 6″X3″
- Cooking time without aluminum foil? If you choose to cook the cheesecake uncovered (today’s recipe) cook it for 31 mins on HIgh pressure. Complete Natural Pressure release after that. Pan size = 6″X3″
- Cooking time depends on the size of the pan too. If using 7″ Pan cook for 27 mins on HIGH UNCOVERED. For COVERED 7″ pan cook for 35 mins oh HIGH.
- If using aluminum foil do this – Never fill up your cheesecake pan more than 80%. Cheesecake batter expands and rises while getting cooked. Over filled cheesecake pan will lead the batter to stick to the aluminum foil cover resulting in a complete disaster. Your cheesecake will fall apart and will be a complete mess.
- Condensation build up remedy – cooking the cheesecake uncovered might lead to some amount of condensation build up around the edges of the cheesecake. Soak the excess water with the help of a kitchen towel gently and carefully. It works like a charm.
- Instant pot Cheesecake Doneness test – The center of the hot Cheesecake will remain jiggly and soft, about 2″-3″.
- Undercooked Instant Pot Cheesecake signs: If the cheesecake remains jiggely around the edges too that means that the cheesecake is undercooked.
- Why my Cheesecake Cracked? A cheesecake can crack due to the following: overmixing the batter, overcooking the cheesecake in the Instant Pot, undercooking the cheesecake, edges of the cooked cheesecake sticking to the sides of an ungreased cake pan.
- Serving Ideas: Top the Cheese cake with Cherry pie filling or simple top it with lots of berries like strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and raspberries. We love it with cherry pie filling and highly recommend it.
- Storing Ideas: Store any leftovers cheesecake slices in an air tight container in the fridge for 4-5 days.
- Freezing the Instant Pot New York Cheesecake Recipe: Freeze individual slices of the cheesecake on a parchment lined baking tray. Than wrap the frozen slices with heavy duty cling film and store them in the freezer for 3 months. Thaw over night in the fridge and serve with your favorite toppings.
Instant Pot New York Style Cheesecake – FAQs
Yes, you can use springform pan in Instant Pot. It’s an ideal cake pan for making Cheesecakes in the Instant Pot.
Yes, you can use parchment paper in Instant Pot.
You can know that a Cheesecake is undercooked if the center area more than 2″-3″ jiggles or around the edges jiggles.
If you over mix Cheesecake the batter will have too much air in it, as a result the cheesecake will puff up, crack, become souffle like, and the center of the Cheesecake might not set at all.
You can soften cream cheese by micro waving the cream cheese blocks for 30-40 seconds.
You can get lumps out of cream cheese by softening the cream cheese either by bringing it to room temperature or microwaving it for just 30-40 seconds.
When a Cheesecake cracks it means that the batter might have been over mixed, as a result the batter might have too much air in it which makes the cake puff up while getting cooked, than it collapses & cracks. It also means that the cheesecake edges might have stuck to the cake pan rim and might have cracked while releasing the cake.
Yes, cheesecake firms up beautifully in a fridge when kept for a minimum of 8 hours or overnight.
4″, 6″ & 7″ spring form pan fits in a 6 quart Instant Pot.
You can get a cheesecake out of a springform pan by the following method: Dip a knife in hot water, wipe it clean than run it around the edges of the cheesecake and the rim of the cake pan, slowly unlatch the sprinform pan and place it on top of a drinking glass, gently push down the rim of the cake pan towards the bottom of the glass. You’ll have a beautiful undamaged cheesecake.
The cheesecake should cool down for a minimum of 1 hour or come to room temperature completely before going in the fridge.
Yes, you must let cheesecake cool in the pan completely until it reaches room temperature.
Yes, a cheesecake center remains jiggly after baking and that’s the important sign that tells you that it’s cooked or done.
Lining a springform cake tin for cheesecake with parchment paper helps in the easy removal of the cheesecake, although it’s not mandatory and just greasing the cake pan with butter works fine as well.
Instant Pot Cheesecake becomes lumpy when ingredients used are not at room temperature, especially using a cold cream cheese leads to a lumpy cheesecake.