Til Laddu also known as Sesame Laddu or Til ke Ladoo is made with lightly roasted sesame seeds, jaggery or gud and a little bit of ghee. Ready under 30 mins these soft Til gud Ladoos are healthy, kids friendly, lasts long and so good to enjoy any time.
Soft Til Gud Ladoo recipe
My Til Ladoo or sesame laddu recipe is simple and easy.
Soft Laddus with good mouthfeel, a nutty aroma and the sweet subtle flavor of jaggery is what you are going to get.
So healthy, so yum, the kids love them and so do we 🙂
Todays Til Ladoo recipe with jaggery is an absolutely beginner friendly recipe only if you follow my tips and hacks 😀
2 ingredients, 30 minutes and a large Kadai or skillet is all you need.
Moreover, you don’t need to worry about getting the 1 string – 2 string consistency jaggery syrup for todays recipe.
I cooked the jaggery until the soft ball stage (read below to know what it actually means). It’s certainly an easy technique much preferred by beginner cooks.
Sesame Laddu – a heritage recipe
We grew up eating these Til laddus.
It was a ritual back at home to make them during the Makar Sankranti festival and also during the Durga Puja.
It was such a fun and family affair to roll these sesame laddus together with cousins and grandparents accompanied by lots of laughter and chit chat.
If you share the same memories than let’s get making the traditional recipe that’s handed down to me by earlier generations 🙂
What is Til Ladoo?
Til Ladoo is an Indian dessert that’s made with lightly roasted sesame seeds and jaggery rolled into balls.
Til Gud laddu is often made during Makar Sankranti, Navratri & even during Durga Puja.
It’s also known by other names in various parts of India like Til Gul, Til er Naru, Til Gud, Sesame jaggery laddo etc.
Til Ladoo Recipe Ingredients
Today’s Sesame Seeds Laddu is super simple and consists the following:
- White Til or Sesame Seeds: Lightly roasted until fragrant. This increases the nutty aroma of the sesame seeds making them irresistibly good.
- Jaggery or Gud: You can use any jaggery of your choice. I used sugar cane jaggery chunks today and hammered them into smaller pieces.
- Ghee: Totally optional.
Til Laddu – Tips by Foodies Terminal
How to make Til Ladoo with jaggery? Step by step
Step #1 Roast the Sesame Seeds or Til
I chose the stove top method today for roasting the sesame seeds until fragrant. Took me approximately 10 minutes over medium heat. You can also roast the seeds in the oven.
Step #2 Prepare the Jaggery Syrup
Melt the grated jaggery with little water and ghee over medium heat. Stir frequently otherwise the jaggery pieces might stick at the bottom of the kadai and burn.
The jaggery will melt and come to a rolling boil with lots of big bubbles.
Simmer the liquid jaggery stirring frequently. You’ll notice that the jaggery will begin to thicken slowly and the bubbles will reduce in size. The consistency of the syrup will be sticky and frothy at this stage.
Step #3 Test the jaggery syrup for soft ball stage
As the syrup will begin to thicken and become sticky you need to perform an easy test. Fill a bowl with normal water and drop a few drops of the hot syrup into the water.
The hot syrup will immediately sink and thicken. With the help of your fingers bring out the syrup and press it in between your fingers. It should form a gel like soft ball. This is known as the soft ball stage and it helps in making soft til gud ladoo.
The jaggery syrup is ready. Reduce the heat immediately.
Step #4 Make the Til Gud ladoo mixture
Keep the heat at the lowest setting. This is very important. Never ever turn off the heat otherwise the laddu mixture will quickly turn cold and they will not set into laddu shape.
Add the lightly roasted sesame seeds and stir briskly to mix the seeds uniformly with the jaggery syrup. Once the seeds are well coated turn off the heat.
Step #5 Roll the Sesame Laddu
You need to act swiftly and very fast now. The ladoo mixture tends to cool down fast. Roll the sesame laddu when the mixture is still warm.
Wet your palms with drops of water. Scoop out the mixture and press gently with your palms to give them a round shape.
Than, jiggle the sesame laddu within your palm in anticlockwise direction a number of times to cool it down and to give it a smooth round shape.
Store them once they are cold.
Love Sweets? Here’s some more sweet recipes from Foodies Terminal.
Til LadduPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
Roast the Sesame seeds or til
- Set a large Kadai or non stick skillet over medium heat. When moderately hot add the sesame seeds and roast them stirring frequently until fragrant. Took me about 10 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and set the lightly roasted til in a container.
Make the Jaggery Syrup
- For convenience and ease of cooking you can hammer the jaggery slabs into smaller pieces or scrape the slab with a knife or even grate the jaggery. Smaller pieces will melt fast and evenly to form the jaggery syrup.
- Set a large Kadai or deep bottomed non stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the ghee, allow it to melt.
- Next, add the jaggery and water and mix continuously. The jaggery will slowly melt. Keep the heat set to medium throughout the cooking process.
- Now, bring the melted jaggery to a rolling boil. You’ll notice a bubbly frothy top.
- Simmer the jaggery syrup for sometime until it begins to thicken. You’ll notice that the bubbles will reduce in size. The consistency of the jaggery will be slightly thicker but flowy.
Perform the Jaggery syrup test to Check the Soft ball stage
- Run a small test to check if the jaggery syrup is all ready.
- Fill up a small bowl with water and drop about 1 teaspoon of the hot jaggery syrup into the water. The Jaggery syrup should immediately sink without melting.
- With the help of your fingers bring out the jaggery syrup from the water and try to form a small soft ball. The jaggery syrup must form a squishy, soft gel like ball. The soft ball stage of the jaggery syrup is reached and it’s all ready.
Make the Til Gud Laddu mixture
- Lower the heat to the lowest setting and immediately add the lightly roasted sesame seeds into the hot jaggery syrup and stir briskly to coat the til seeds completely with the syrup.
- When all the sesame seeds are well coated with the jaggery syrup turn off the heat.
Make the Til Ladoo or Sesame Jaggery Laddu
- You need to act fast now because the Laddu mixture tends to cool very fast.
- Wet the insides of your palm with water.
- Scoop out the hot laddu mixture and gently press it to give it a round shape.
- Jiggle the laddu within your palm to give a final round and smooth shape, Jiggling the laddu also helps to cool it off quickly hence, preventing it from getting a flat bottom.
- Repeat the process. Wet your palms after making each laddu.
Store the Til ke Laddu
- Once, you are all done making the laddus allow them to cool down completely.
- Store them in an air tight container. Keeps good and soft for 1 month.
- Measuring Units Used, 1 cup = 240 ml and 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.
- Today Recipe = 20 Til Laddus.
- Use any good quality white sesame seeds.
- Jaggery to avoid: Date Jaggery or khejur gud and any salty Jaggery variety.
- Best Jaggery to use: Sugar Cane Jaggery.
- DO NOT skip roasting the til: This is super important. The lightly roasted til seeds tastes the best and stays flavorful for a long time.
- Never TURN OFF the heat while mixing the sesame seeds with the jaggery syrup. Instead keep the heat to the lowest setting. The constant low heat will prevent the ladoo mixture from getting cold fast.
- DO NOT let the Til Ladoo mixture cool down. Do not wait after the laddu mixture is all done. Immediately start making the til laddus or else You’ll have difficulty making the laddos.
- Want to make a large batch of Sesame Jaggery Laddu? Seek help. The ladoo mixture cools down super fast. Hence, it’s difficult for a single person to tackle a large Laddu mixture. And you can’t rejeat the mixture.
- STORING TIPS: Always store in an airtight container.
- SHELF LIFE: 1 month on the counterftop inside air tight jars.
- Something about the soft ball jaggery syrup consistency: This state of the jaggery syrup will yeild soft til gud laddu.
- DO NOT miss the “TIPS” sections in this blog post. Tons of tricks and hacks shared.
Pin it for later!