Learn How to make Chicken Lollipop from Wings by following my easy to follow Chicken Lollipop recipe video. This spicy, lip-smacking Indo-Chinese starter is one of the most loved Hors
We love our Chicken Lollipop as much as we love our Chicken 65!
Our guests always rave about them & I make them innumerable times for our gatherings!
If you are looking for a super hit chicken appetizer for your next party then I would suggest you try this Baked Chicken Lollipop recipe at least once!
If you want you may tweak the recipe, get a little adventurous & deep fry them in rolling hot oil!
Why did I bake them? Well, it’s not that I am cutting down on calories or following a special diet…nope, never!
It’s just because the baked Chicken Lollipops are little hassel free. Don’t you think so?
Pop them in the oven, set the timer! And Tada! Delicious Chicken Lollipop Indian style straight out from your hot oven!
Baked chicken appetizer recipes are especially convenient when you plan to cater a large number of guests.
Nope, no baby sitting in this case whatsoever!
Table Of Contents
- 1 FAQs about How to make Chicken Lollipop from wings | Chicken Lollipop Recipe (Baked)
- 2 Watch the Video Recipe of How to make chicken lollipop from wings | Chicken Lollipop Recipe (Baked)
- 3 Expert tips from Foodies Terminal on How to make Chicken Lollipop from Wings:
- 4 How to make Chicken Lollipop from Wings + VIDEO | Chicken Lollipop Recipe (Baked)
FAQs about How to make Chicken Lollipop from wings | Chicken Lollipop Recipe (Baked)
What does Chicken Lollipop mean?
Chicken Lollipop is a spicy Indo Chinese chicken appetizer or starter recipe made from frenched chicken wings & served with hot S
You can make a typical chicken lollipop either from chicken wings (slice them into drumettes & wingettes) or chicken drumettes & wingettes/flats.
There’s a particular technique to french the chicken wings into winglets.
Follow my Chicken Lollipop recipe video to learn How to make a Chicken lollipop from wings.
To make a chicken lollipop you have to cut the meat loose from one end of a chicken drumette & give it a good push so that the loosen meat accumulates at the other end of the bone.
This makes the drumette resemble a lollipop.
Then, you have to marinate these Chicken lollipops in a special batter or spicy sauce and either bake or deep fry in rolling hot oil.
What are the Ingredients of Chicken Lollipop?
The ingredients of Chicken Lollipop are as follows:
- Chicken Wings.
- Hung Curd or greek yogurt.
- Tandoori Masala (available in the Indian grocery stores or few American stores)
- Red chili powder.
- Ginger garlic paste.
- Kashmiri red chili paste ( I made it by soaking 2 whole dried Kashmiri red chilis in hot water for 15 mins & grinding them into a paste)
- Chili Garlic paste (available in American stores).
- Schezwan Sauce.
- Mustard oil.
- Lemon Juice.
- HomeMade natural red color from beet root. Click here to learn how I make my home-made color.
Which Part of Chicken is used for Lollipop?
Chicken Lollipop is made from both drumette and wingette or flat of a chicken wing.
Just in case you are wondering what’s a drumette and a wingette, let me tell you this – that drumette is the fleshy part of the wing that’s attached to the body of the chicken.
And a wingette is the middle portion of the chicken wing, the portion that looks flat.
A wingette is situated between the drumette & the tip of the chicken wing.
If you want to find out more regarding the anatomy of a chicken wing, this is what you will love reading.
How to make Lollipop chicken drumsticks?
You can make lollipop chicken drumsticks from chicken drumsticks or legs (as the name suggests).
The same technique applies while carving the lollipops from chicken drumsticks, that is –
- Cutting the meat or rather the skin & the tendons loose from the tapering end of the drumstick (not the fleshy end) – Just an inch below the knuckle of the chicken drumstick.
- Removing the thin sharp bone.
- And then pushing down the meat towards the bottom or the fleshy part of the drumsticks.
- Cutting off any excess ligaments with a kitchen shear.
- Rest of the recipe remains the same except the grill time. Drumsticks are fleshy so they require more time to get cooked. Adjust the time in your oven accordingly.
How do you cut Chicken wings and Drumettes?
This is how easily you can cut chicken wings and drumettes:
- Take one whole chicken wing. With the help of your fingers locate the two joints in the chicken wing. It has only two joints, so you won’t have any problem locating them at all.
- With the help of a sharp kitchen knife or a
kitchensear either snip or cut the two joints individually.
- This will leave you with three parts – Drumette (the thickest one), the wingette or flat (remember this part looks flat) & the tip.
- From one single chicken
wingyou will get one drumette & one wingette. Use these in your recipe.
- Save the tip to make some home-made chicken broth.
DO NOT MISS watching the full video recipe to get a clear picture of how to make Chicken lollipop from wings.
Are Chicken Lollipops healthy?
Baked Chicken lollipops are certainly healthy as compared to their deep-fried counterparts.
Because there’s very less oil that goes in the marinade & the cooking involves baking & no oil at all!
Baked foods are an healthier option always!
Chicken is a good source of protein & low in calories as compared to various other meats available in the market.
But, deep frying chicken completely nullifies the health benefits.
Hence, chicken lollipops that are deep fried are high in calories & fat & not a healhty choice.
If you are on a strict calorie diet than definitely go for this Baked Chicken Lollipop recipe.
How do you make a delicious chicken lollipop batter?
A delicious chicken lollipop batter consists of a few essential ingredients as mentioned in this recipe of How to make Chicken lollipop from wings or Chicken Lollipop Recipe (Baked).
You just need a clean dry bowl, dump all the mentioned ingredients from the recipe card below & mentioned in the “ingredients”
Give a good whisk & dunk the chicken lollipops in the batter or marinade.
Coat them evenly!
How to make Baked chicken lollipop?
Follow today’s recipe of How to make chicken lollipop from wings | Chicken Lollipop Recipe (Baked) to the T.
You will have perfectly baked chicken lollipops to enjoy or serve your guests!
Can you freeze the baked chicken lollipop recipe?
You can freeze your baked chicken lollipops & serve them later.
They are kept good for 1 month in the freezer when stored well in freezer safe bags.
You may also Freeze the Raw chicken lollipops. They do terrific for 1 month in the freezer when you store them nicely in zip lock bags!
When you are ready to host a party, take them out thaw them.
Prepare the quick marinade
Whatever method you decide to follow these Baked chicken lollipop recipe ROCKS always!
How to make Chicken Lollipop from Wings?
I highly recommend that you guys to watch the Chicken Lollipop Recipe Video (from this blog post).
You will see how easily you can carve out fantastic lollipops from a whole chicken wing.
Chicken Lollipops can be easily made at home, the only time you have to invest is in carving each lollipop from a chicken drumette & wingette.
If you are a bit skeptical to carve out your chicken lollipops from a whole chicken wing.
Then, I would recommend to buy ready-made drumettes from the store & carve them into lollipops instead.
Follow the Recipe Video & You will definitely nail it!
It’s not complicated at all. You just need to be careful with the knife & while removing the sharp bone from the wingette.
Here’s how to make chicken lollipop from wings:
- Take a whole chicken wing and cut it into three pieces namely – drumette, wingette or flat & tip (refer the video).
- Take one drumette. De-skin it first. Then, cut the meat loose from the tip that’s not fleshy. Cut any tendons or cartilage & give the loosen meat a good push with the help of your fingers. This will slide the meat all the way towards the fleshy tip. It will look like a lollipop at this stage.
- Take one wingette. Repeat the above process. Remove the sharp bone from the wingette carefully.
- One whole chicken wing yields two chicken lollipops.
Do not miss few other awesome recipes from Foodies Terminal:
Watch the Video Recipe of How to make chicken lollipop from wings | Chicken Lollipop Recipe (Baked)
Expert tips from Foodies Terminal on How to make Chicken Lollipop from Wings:
- If you are a beginner use ready-made Chicken drumette from the store.
- Use a sharp knife to carve the chicken lollipop from the chicken wing.
- Do not throw the tip of the chicken wing. Save them to use later to make some delicious home-made chicken broth.De-skin the drumette & the wingette or flat. This is a MUST.
- This baked chicken lollipop recipe Indian style is a spicy recipe. If you prefer less spicy food, feel free to reduce the amount of chili powder & chili garlic sauce.
- Follow this Chicken Lollipop recipe and instead of baking the lollipops you may deep fry them in rolling hot oil. Deep fry them in a deep bottomed saucepan in 1/2 liters canola oil.
- You may freeze your raw chicken lollipops & baked chicken lollipops for 1 month in the freezer.
- These Chicken lollipops Indian style tastes best when served with hot & spicy Schezwan sauce.
- Every oven behaves differently so do not forget to check the doneness of your chicken lollipops in between.
- Wrap the exposed bones with small pieces of aluminum foil before baking them or after baking the chicken lollipops. Aluminum foil is oven safe, but not micro-oven safe!
DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Do Not forget to give a STAR (*) rating! Just click on the STARS on the recipe card below to rate.
Recipe card of How to make Chicken Lollipop from Wings | Chicken Lollipop Recipe (Baked)
How to make Chicken Lollipop from Wings + VIDEO | Chicken Lollipop Recipe (Baked)
- 6 Whole Chicken Wings (yields 12 chicken lollipops)
For The Chicken Lollipop marinade or batter:
- 1/4 cup Hung curd (or geek yogurt)
- 1.5 tbsp Tandoori Masala
- 1 tbsp Red Chili Powder (heaped)
- 1.5 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste (heaped)
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri red chili paste (Soak 2-3 kashmiri dry whole red chilies in warm water for 15 mins, grind them into a fine paste.)
- 1.5 tbsp chili garlic paste/sauce (ready-made)
- 1.5 tbsp Schezwan sauce
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Mustard Oil
- 2 tbsp beet root juice (grate beetroot, squeeze to juice them)
- Salt (to taste) (according to taste)
How to make Chicken Lollipop from Wings:
- Take one whole chicken wing & locate the joints with the help of your finger. You will find 2 joints in one chicken wing.
- With the help of a sharp knife or kitchen sear cut the joints or snap them. You will be left with 3 pieces namely – drumette, wingette or flat & the tip.
- Use the drumette & the wingette for this baked chicken lollipop recipe. Keep the tip aside. You may use it later to make some home-made chicken broth.
- De-skin the drumette & the wingette or flat with the help of a kitchen knife. Use a kitchen paper towel to pull off the skin. It helps.
- Take the de-skinned drumette & loosen or scrap the meat from the tip of one end of the bone. (not the fleshy side).
- Once, the meat becomes loose. Push it towards the other end of the bone (the fleshy tip) with the help of your fingers.
- Cut off any extra tendons or ligaments.
- At this stage, the drumette will resemble a lollipop shape. Repeat the same process for the other drumettes.
- Repeat this process with the wingettes or flats too. You will find a sharp thin bone inside each wingette. Snap it off & throw it away.
- Keep your lollipoped drumette & wingettes ready for the marinade.
How to make the chicken lollipop Batter or Marinade:
- In a large, clean, dry bowl accumulate all the “Marinade/Batter” Ingredients mentioned above in the Ingredients section.
- Give a good whisk.
- Dunk all the chicken lollipops into the Batter or the marinade & mix well. So that every chicken lollipop is uniformly coated with the marinade.
- Allow them to rest for 15 mins.
How to Bake the Chicken Lollipops:
- Take a Cookie sheet & line it with an aluminum foil. Place a cookie rack on top of the foil. Spray oil to grease the rack so that the lollipops do not stick to the rack.
- Place each chicken lollipop on the rack. With the exposed bone facing up.
- At this stage, you may wrap the exposed bone with aluminum foil or do it later. I did the wrapping part after baking my chicken lollipops.
- Preheat your oven at 350 F or 180 C. Bake for 35 mins on the middle rack. Check in between because every oven functions differently.
- Serve hot!
- De-skin the chicken wings. It’s a must.
- You may either flash marinate your chicken lollipops or marinate them over-night.
- Always be careful while carving the chicken lollipops.
- You may wrap the exposed bone of the chicken lollipop with an aluminum foil either before baking or after baking.
Measuring cup used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.PLEASE NOTE: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet or special diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
If you try this recipe or any other recipe from this blog, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it! Hearing from you is what makes my Day!
Pin this How to make chicken lollipop from wings!