Egg Tadka made with green whole Moong Dal, a few spices and delicious tadka of scrambled eggs. Dinner can’t get better, easier & tastier than this Dhaba Style Egg Tadka Recipe. Make it in an Instant Pot or Pressure cooker, this Tadka Roti combo will never fail to please you.
Check out Easy Instant Pot Recipes from Foodies Terminal.
Table Of Contents
Egg Tadka Dhaba Style
Tadka Roti is the most ordered and economical dinner or lunch combo from the roadside joints in India, especially in the state of West Bengal.
It’s that one dish that you can order without taking the consent of family members because everyone loves it 😀
Made with soaked whole green Moong Dal or green gram a few common spices, onion, tomato, ginger & garlic.
Later the spiced up cooked Moong Dal is tossed with a generous amount of scrambled eggs.
I also love to temper the Egg Tadka with ghee and a few spices, it elevates the flavors so much.
Did I tell you how easy it is to make this Dhaba Style Egg Tadka at home in an Instant Pot or a regular pressure cooker?
You can also cook the green moong dal first and than cook it one more time with the spices.
I kept the recipe simple and transformed it into one-pot quick meal.
That means, I have cooked the soaked green moong with the spices in one pot.
It’s insanely easy guys, however, it’s notoriously easy to ruin the dish as well 😀
Imagine a bowl of over cooked, mushy Whole Green Moong!
Don’t worry I ended up with several Egg Tadka disasters and hence, I’ve come up with few handy tips to help you make a perfect bowl of this easy Moong Dal Tadka.
What is Egg Tadka anyways?
Egg Tadka is a delicious green Moong Dal recipe that’s cooked with over night soaked green moong in a spicy onion, tomato based semi thick gravy. with a few pantry special spices.
The dish is than finished off with a generous amount of scrambled eggs and than served with hot rotis.
Egg Tadka also popularly known as “Dimer Torka” back in West Bengal is a much loved Dhaba food with unbeatable flavors.
It’s ready availability in the roadside stalls (Dhabas) and it’s economical price makes it even more popular and a sought after dish.
Pro Tip: Vegetarians may skip the scrambled egg tadka and follow the recipe to enjoy a vegetarian green moong tadka. In that case I won’t hesitate to increase the amount of ghee in the tadka and also would love to garnish the finished dish with lots of butter.
Egg Tadka or Dimer Torka Ingredients
- Whole green Mung Bean also known as green gram: Soak the mung bean overnight.
- Chopped onion: Use either white or red onion. Stay away from the sweet onion.
- Tomatoes: roughly chopped.
- Tomato paste: Use from the tube or from a can.
- Chopped or minced garlic.
- Roughly chopped ginger.
- Spices: Tadka masala (use any brand), turmeric powder, deggi mirch powder, cumin powder & coriander powder.
- For Tadka: eggs, cumin seeds, chopped green chilies, chopped garlic (optional).
- Fats: white oil and ghee for the tadka at the end.
- Dry whole red chilies.
Egg Tadka Tips
You’ll never end up with over cooked Moong beans if you follow the below steps.
- Soak the Mung beans overnight: Don’t skip this step. I have cooked this same recipe so many times with un-soaked beans but always ended up with overcooked Dal, the consistency has never been good. Soaked mung beans are also healthier & eliminates gut issues unlike un soaked beans.
- Do not cook more than 6 mins in the IP: Do a Natural Pressure release for 5 mins and than open the lid. The residual heat will cook the mung beans to the right consistency.
- Stir fry the masala very well: This is so important for this recipe. It’s not a dump and go recipe, hence, you need to fry each ingredient until the raw smell disappears and the oil oozes out.
- The Ghee Tadka at the end works like magic: Sizzle some chopped green chilies, whole cumin seeds (jeera) & chopped garlic (optional) in ghee. Transfer this hot Tadka in the Egg Tadka as a final touch, mix and serve immediately. This boosts the flavors so much more.
Pro Tip for VEGANS: For a Vegan version of this Mung Dal tadka skip the eggs and also the ghee.
How to make Egg Tadka step by step?
Steps in words below pics
Time needed: 25 minutes.
How to make Egg Tadka Dhaba Style?
- Scramble the eggs
Set the Instant Pot on sauté at NORMAL. Scramble the eggs until soft and fluffy with little oil. Set aside.
- Sauté the Onions
In the same pot add more oil, sizzle with whole cumin. Than, add onions & fry them until translucent. Add the chopped ginger & garlic and sauté until the raw smell completely disappears.
- Fry the tomatoes
Add the tomatoes & sauté until mushy and oil begins to leave the sides of the pot.
- Add all the dry spices
Throw in the dry spices like turmeric, deggi mirch, cumin & coriander powder along with the tadka masala and fry well until oil leaves the sides of the pot. The spices should become fragrant and the raw smell must completely disappear.
- Mix the tomato paste
Add the tomato paste and sauté for 1-2 mins.
- Add the soaked Mung beans and pressure cook
Transfer the soaked green moong beans to the pot and mix them well with the bhuna masala. Pour warm or hot water, deglaze the pot well. Seal the valve & pressure cook on HIGH for 6 mins, wait for natural pressure release for 5 mins than open the pot.
- Mix in the scrambled egg
You may adjust the amount of liquid now. If you prefer more gravy in your egg tadka, add some more warm water and mix well.
- Prepare the ghee tadka & mix
Heat a small pan over medium high heat, add ghee and sizzle it with cumin seeds, dry red chilies, chopped green chilies & chopped garlic (optional). Transfer this tadka to the egg tadka in the Instant Pot. Mix & serve immediately.
Love different kinds of Lentils & Beans? Check these easy recipes from Foodies Terminal.
How to cook Egg Tadka Dhaba Style in an Instant Pot?
- Begin by washing the dry moong beans very well under running tap water. Soak them over night with enough water. 3/4 cups of organic green moong beans should yield about 2.5 cups soaked beans.
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE and keep it at NORMAL. Add 2 tbsp oil, release the cracked eggs once the oil becomes moderately hot. Cook them until they stirring briskly until they become soft and fluffy scrambled eggs. Set aside.
- Add the rest of the oil in the same pot. Throw in 1/2 the quantity of whole cumin seeds into the hot oil. Allow them to sizzle until for a few seconds.
- Next, add the chopped onions and sauté until they turn translucent. Add salt while frying the onions.
- Now, add the chopped ginger and garlic and sauté them until the raw smell completely disappears.
- Next, add the chopped tomatoes and fry them until they become mushy and oil begins to leave the sides of the pot.
- Now, add the dry spices and fry them until oil oozes out and they become fragrant and nicely roasted.
- Mix in the tomato paste.
- Drain the soaked green moong beans and than add them to the pot. Mix them well with the bhuna masala.
- Than, pour in hot or warm water and deglaze the pot very well so that no bits and crumbs are stuck at the bottom of the pot.
- CANCEL the SAUTE. Close the lid of the pot, seal the valve. PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 6 mins.
- After 6 mins when the Instant Pot begins to beep. Wait for natural pressure release for 5 mins and than release the rest of the pressure.
- Open the lid and transfer the scrambled eggs to the pot. Give everything a good mix. You may also add more water now if your prefer more gravy in your egg tadka.
- In a small pan heat the ghee over medium high heat. Throw in the rest of the cumin seeds, dry red chilies, chopped green chilies and chopped garlic (optional). Allow them to sizzle just for a few seconds. Transfer this ghee tadka to the egg tadka. Give a gentle mix and serve hot immediately.
How to cook Egg Tadka in a Pressure Cooker?
- Follow the same recipe. Replace the Instant Pot with a regular pressure cooker.
- Set the Pressure cooker over medium heat and follow until STEP 10 mentioned above.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook the Mung Beans for 4-5 whistles. Turn off the flame and release the rest of the pressure immediately. Wait for 5 mins before opening the lid of the pressure cooker.
- Follow STEPS 13 & 14 mentioned above.
- Measuring units used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.
- Instant Pot used: 3 quart IP LUXE
- Use good quality and new Mung beans. Old green gram will not cook in the cooking time mentioned in todays recipe and moreover, they won’t cook evenly too.
- You may always adjust the amount of water according to your preference. Add more water if you like more gravy in your egg tadka.
- You may even increase or decrease the amount of eggs.
- Vegetarians may skip the egg.
- Vegans are advised to skip the eggs and also the ghee from the ghee tadka. Use white oil instead.
- Use chopped ginger and garlic to get the best flavors. Ginger Garlic paste makes the dish a little over powering. If you are in a hurry and still want to use Ginger Garlic paste use less.
Pin it for Later!2