Instant Pot ravioli made with frozen ravioli, ground Italian sausage, baby spinach in a creamy cheesy sauce. Your whole family will love this frozen ravioli sausage recipe. You don’t need to thaw the frozen ravioli at all!
Don’t miss our Instant Pot Recipes & Air Fryer Recipes! Today’s recipe is inspired from my Instant pot tortellini soup recipe.
Frozen Ravioli in Instant Pot
Ravioli with Italian sausage is so easy to make in the instant pot. You’ll just need 30 mins and a few pantry staple ingredients which you probably already have in your kitchen.
The instant pot ravioli recipe has the best sauce ever, so creamy & cheesy. You will have tender cheese filled ravioli coated with a creamy flavorful sauce and browned Italian sausage in every single bite.
The best part of this ravioli with sausage and spinach is that the leftovers even taste amazing! Use your favorite ravioli and favorite shape and do not thaw the ravioli. For instant pot fresh ravioli recipe read the “Tips” section of this post.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements at the bottom of the post. The list below is just a reference.
- Frozen Ravioli: We used small frozen round shaped cheese ravioli. You can use your favorite ravioli and your favorite shape.
- Italian Sausage: We used mildly spicy ground Italian sausage. You can also sub the ground Italian sausage with either ground beef, ground turkey or regular ground sausage.
- Aromatics: Yellow onion & garlic.
- Seasonings: Sweet paprika, ground black pepper, thyme and oregano. Add salt according to your own personal taste preference. You can skip the dried thyme and oregano and add Italian seasoning instead.
- Tomatoes: We used Italian style diced tomatoes with the juices. You can use a y kind of diced tomatoes along with the juices. If you prefer a spicy flavor use rotel.
- Dairy: We used whole milk. You can use 1% or 2% or even fat free milk.
- Cheeses: We used shredded sharp cheddar and grated parmesan cheese. You can play around with the cheese quantity and add how much more or how much less you like. We used pre-shredded cheese. You can grate it from a block as well.
- Baby Spinach: You can sub it with tender baby kale.
- Cooking fat: Use either extra light or light olive oil or avocado oil.
- Better than Bouillon: Ditch the store bought chicken stock and make your own flavorful chicken stock at home by mixing better than bouillon chicken base with normal warm water. This stuff is so good!
- Liquid: Normal water.
Tips for Success
- Build more flavor: Brown the ground Italian sausage to elevate the flavors of this sausage and cheese ravioli recipe.
- Avoid Burn Error: Deglaze the pot very well to loosen any stuck food particles from the bottom of the pot. Also, layer the Ingredients and do not mix or stir before the pressure cooking cycle.
- Prevent curdled dairy: Add the milk and cheeses after the pressure cooking cycle is over. This will prevent the dairy from getting curdled.
- Extra creamy sauce: Sub the milk with half & half or heavy whipping cream for an extra creamy sauce.
- Ravioli consistency: The ravioli would absorb a lot of the sauce when stored in the fridge or served later. You can bring back the creamy consistency of the sauce by adding a few splashes of stock or water or milk and than reheating the dish.
- Prevent overcooked spinach: Add spinach at the end after turning off the instant pot. The residual heat will perfectly wilt the baby spinach and prevent them from getting over cooked.
- Can I make fresh ravioli in instant pot: Yes, follow this same recipe and cook on high pressure for just zero minutes followed by a quick release. By the time the instant pot will build pressure the fresh or refrigerated ravioli will be cooked through.
How to make ravioli instant pot recipe?
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements + Video at the bottom of the post.
Step #1 Brown Italian sausage
- Brown Italian Sausage: Brown the ground Italian sausage along with onion and garlic. Use the Sauté mode set on NORMAL heat settings in the instant pot.
Step #2 Deglaze pot
- Add seasonings: Add the seasonings and sauté the sausage for another minute. This will help build a huge depth of flavor!
- Deglaze pot: Add stock and deglaze pot very well by scraping the sides and the bottom of the pot with the help of a spatula. This will help loosen any stuck food particles and prevent the burn error!
Step #3 Pressure cook
- Layer ingredients: Add the frozen ravioli on top of the stock. Spread it into a single layer. Add the diced tomatoes along with the juices on top of the frozen ravioli and do not stir or mix.
- Pressure cook: Pressure cook on HIGH for just 1 min followed by a quick pressure release. Give everything a good mix. You will have a lot of liquid left in the pot, but do not worry once we add the milk and cheeses the sauce will have the perfect consistency. Turn off the instant pot.
Step #4 Make creamy sauce
- Make creamy sauce: Add slightly warmed up milk into the instant pot. Add the grated parmesan cheese and mix well until the cheese completely melts. Add the shredded cheddar cheese and mix well until the cheese completely melts. You can totally control the amount of dairy, you do not have to stick exactly to the proportions mentioned in this recipe. Finally, add the baby spinach and gently give everything a good mix. Serve the instant pot ravioli sausage spinach and enjoy!
This instant pot ravioli with Italian sausage recipe is a complete meal all by itself. However sometimes, we like to serve it with an easy side like:
- Instant pot steamed broccoli.
- Instant pot green beans no steamer basket.
- Instant pot steamed carrots.
- Air fryer baby gold potatoes.
- Hasselback sweet potatoes air fryer.
- Air fryer roasted radishes.
- Butternut squash fries air fryer.
How to store ravioli sausage
You can store this instant pot frozen ravioli recipe in air tight containers for 4 days in the fridge. We have never tried freezing it.
How to reheat
The ravioli would absorb a lot of the creamy sauce when stored in the fridge. So, add a few splashes of either water, stock or milk and than reheat on high in the microwave oven for 1 min or use medium heat and a sauce to reheat it on the stove top.
More Instant pot pasta recipes
- Instant pot crack chicken pasta.
- Instant pot pesto chicken pasta.
- Instant pot salmon pasta.
- Instant pot penne pasta and meatballs.
- Instant pot American Goulash.
- Instant pot shrimp alfredo.
- Easy instant pot baked ziti.
- Instant pot chicken fettuccine alfredo with broccoli.
- Chicken tetrazzini instant pot.
- Instant pot rigatoni and meatballs.
- Velveeta shells and cheese instant pot.
- Instant pot chicken mushroom stroganoff.
Yes, frozen ravioli can be easily cooked in the instant pot. No need to thaw the frozen ravioli.
No, you do not need to thaw frozen ravioli before cooking.
We love to pressure cook the frozen ravioli for just 1 min in our instant pot and than add the dairy and make the creamy cheesy sauce.
Ravioli are usually square or round, with a flat underside and rounded top, with edges cut at a sharp angle and sometimes frilled with a fork. Tortellini are ring or navel-shaped, at times resembling a tiny croissant or even a wonton. Both ravioli and tortellini are stuffed with cheese, spinach, protein etc.
Ravioli tastes wonderful with sausage, thick cut bacon, meatballs or even sliced or diced steak.
I LOVE HEARING FROM YOU! If you try this Instant Pot Ravioli recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I would love to hear how it turned out for you, or any changes you make. You can also follow me on Pinterest or subscribe our free NEWLETTER for new recipes every week!
Instant Pot RavioliPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 25 ounce frozen ravioli (**708 g. Do not thaw the ravioli.)
- 1 pound Ground Italian Sausage (**16 ounce or 454 g. Use mild or spicy ground Italian sausage.)
- 1 cup onion (**roughly chopped yellow onion.)
- 1 tbsp garlic (**minced.)
- 14.5 ounce diced tomatoes (**411 g. Diced tomatoes with juices. Italian style diced tomatoes.)
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (**use extra light or light olive oil. )
- Salt (to taste) (**add according to your own personal taste preference.)
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp Paprika (**use sweet paprika. DO NOT use smoked paprika.)
- ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes (**skip if heat intolerant.)
- ¾ cup whole Milk (**warm. You can also add ½ cup milk instead of ¾ cup.)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (**we used sharp cheddar cheese.)
- ¾ cup Parmesan Cheese (**grated parmesan cheese.)
- 1.5 cups Water (**warm water.)
- ½ tbsp Better Than Bouillon (**chicken base stirred in the above mentioned water to form an instant homemade chicken stock.)
Brown Italian Sausage
- Set the instant pot on SAUTE mode set at NORMAL heat settings. Add oil and when the oil becomes hot gently release the chopped onion & minced garlic and saute for just 30 seconds.
- Add the ground Italian sausage and gently break it down with the help of a spatula. Saute the Sausage until it begins to turn brown. Add all the seasonings mentioned above in the "SEASONINGS" section of the ingredients list. Saute for another minute.
- Stir the better than bouillon chicken base in the warm water to form an instant homemade chicken stock. Add this to the pot. Now, deglaze the pot very well with the help of a spatula by scraping the sides and the bottom of the pot. This will help losen any stuck food particles and help prevent the burn. Cancel the saute mode.
Layer Ingredients & Pressure cook
- Transfer the frozen raavioli into the pot. Gently spread them in a single layer with the help of a spatula. DO NOT stir or mix. Add the diced tomatoes along with the juices on top of the ravioli.
- Secure the lid, seal the valve and pressure cook on HIGH for just 1 min. Once the pressure cooking cycle is over the instant pot will begin to beep. Immediately perform a quick pressure release by manually moving the valve from the sealing to the venting position. Open the lid carefully once the metal floating pin on top of the lid drops. Give everyhting in the pot a good stir. You'll have a good amount of liquid at this point and the ravioli might seem soupy. But, that's ok because you'll have the perfect creamy consistency once you mix in the milk and the cheeses. Cancel the Pressure cook function.
Make the creamy sauce
- Now, add the warm milk and the parmesan cheese. Gently mix until the cheese completely melts. Add the cheddar cheese and mix well until the cheeese completely melts to form a creamy sauce. At last, add the baby spinach and gently mix them along with the other ingredients in the pot. The residual heat will perfectly wilt the leaves. Allow the ravioli to rest for 5 mins and than serve and enjoy!
- Is this recipe spicy? No today’s recipe is not spicy. However, it has a slight kick.
- Do I need to thaw the ravioli? No, you do not need to thaw the frozen ravioli. Just add it directly to the pot.
- Why add warm milk? If you add cold milk to the extremely hot ingredients in the pot, there are chances that the milk might curdle. Adding warm milk to the hot ingredients in the pot will prevent this.
- The sauce consistency: This recipe will create enough sauce. If you do not prefer a saucy pasta that add 1.25 cups water instead of 1.5 cups and add ⅓ cup milk instead of ½ cup.
- Best ravioli: You can use any frozen ravioli. We used round shaped small cheese ravioli.
- Can I skip spinach? Yes, you can skip the baby spinach or even use baby kale.
Do let us know if you created this recipe