Badami Aloo is a hearty vegetarian meal that has the ability to satisfy a hungry palate. It's exotic, delicious & so easy to rustle up.
I am in love with this Badami Aloo - no onion & no garlic recipe | Niremishi Aloor Dom | Baby Potatoes cooked in a nutty sauce! It's mild, exotic, aromatic and bursting with deliciousness! Baby potatoes are so cute, right? And they look the cutest when you dress them up with a bunch of mildly flavored spices and an exotic sauce.
Oh! Look at that gorgeous color, it's all the magic of the turmeric powder, a dash of paprika powder, a spoonful of yogurt and cashew paste! I am always elated when I succeed in getting an appetizing and colorfully gorgeous gravy & this time it's no different! I used cashew paste in this quick gravy just to give it an amazing nutty flavor and a heightened taste, needless to mention cashew paste also imparts a certain creamy and silky texture to your gravy.
In this Badami aloo - no onion & no garlic recipe | Niremishi aloor Dom | Baby Potatoes cooked in a nutty sauce the baby potatoes are steamed first either in a pressure cooker, an open pot or an instant pot, then they are shallow fried in mustard oil with a pinch of turmeric powder and a dash of salt. Always remember not to overcook them while steaming, they should be just cooked! After that, a very simple base gravy is prepared with freshly made ginger + cumin seeds + coriander seeds paste. These 3 ingredients are ground into a fine paste and are made ready to dip in the oil! The addition of tomatoes is totally optional in this "Niremishi Aloor Dom" recipe. I somewhat do not like the taste of tomatoes in this gravy but it's totally up to you. If you love a slightly tangy gravy than do add tomatoes either finely chopped or made into a fine paste.
This is why you should definitely try out my Badami Aloo - no onion & no garlic recipe...It's :
*An extremely easy recipe.
*A quick recipe.
*Not loaded with onion and garlic.
*Pairs up extremely well with Chappatis (Indian flatbread), Pooris (Indian deep fried bread) or even tortillas!
*An ideal fasting recipe that tastes delicious.
Back at home mom cooks it sans cashew paste and yogurt, that's a simpler version of this gorgeous Badami aloo & we popularly call it "Niremishi aloor Dom". We enjoy it a lot with chappatis & pooris or Luchis. My version of Badami aloo is just a slight variation from the traditional iconic recipe. Do read the notes and do try it out, I will be very glad to know how yours turned out! Believe me dear readers this Badami aloo Dum does help to take a break from non-vegetarian food and it's a fantastic recipe to mark those fasting days.
Recipe Card For Badami Aloo - No Onion & No Garlic Recipe | Niremishi Aloor Dom | Baby Potatoes Cooked In a Nutty Sauce!
Measuring cup used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.
Badami Aloo - No Onion & No Garlic Recipe | Niremishi Aloor Dom | Baby Potatoes Cooked In A Nutty Sauce!Print Recipe Pin Rate
- 500 gms Baby Potatoes.
- Bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon whole cumin seeds.
- 2 tablespoons ginger paste.
- 1-½ tablespoons cumin seeds paste.
- 1-½ tablespoons coriander seeds paste.
- 3 tablespoons Cashew Paste.
- 3 tablespoons yogurt.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- 3 tbsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 - ½ teaspoon paprika powder.
- Salt (to taste)
- 4 green chilies chopped finely (optional).
- ⅓ cup mustard oil divided into 2 parts.
- 1. Pressure cook the baby potatoes with skin on in an instant pot for 11 mins or in a pressure cooker until 4 whistles or until just done. It totally depends on the baby potatoes and the cooking time varies accordingly so please do check them in between. A variety might get cooked in 13 mins or 4 whistles but the next variety may require some more time or less time. It's always wise to check in between.2. Drain the boiled potatoes and peel them, smear with little turmeric powder and salt and keep aside. Heat ½ of the ⅓ cup mustard oil in a deep pan or a kadai. When hot gently release the baby potatoes & fry for 5 mins or until lightly golden in color. Keep aside.3. Heat the rest of the oil in the same pan or Kadai over medium flame, when hot release the whole cumin seeds & the bay leaf. When the cumin seeds begin to change color gently add the ginger paste + cumin paste + coriander paste. Fry for 7 mins or until the raw smell disappears.4. Now add all the dry spices ie. turmeric powder, red chili powder, paprika powder and fry for 3 mins.5. Now add the lightly fried baby potatoes and fry again with the masalas for another 5 mins or until oil starts to leave the sides of the pan. Now lower the heat and add the cashew paste. Mix everything well. 6. Now Dilute the yogurt with 3-4 tablespoons cold water and add to the gravy. Mix everything well. Cover and simmer on low flame for 7 mins. The consistency should be just as shown in the picture. Garnish with chopped green chilies and serve hot.Enjoy!
- It's very important to boil the baby potatoes until just done. Do not overcook them or else they will break while preparing the gravy and the consistency will become like a paste.
- It's a semi-dry gravy so adding more water to the gravy will hugely alter its flavors and taste.
- Shallow frying the baby potatoes before preparing the gravy do contribute to the taste of the gravy.
- It's important to lower the flame before adding the yogurt. If you add yogurt to a hot gravy the yogurt will split in the whole gravy.
- After adding the cashew paste do not fry just mix everything well.
- You are most welcome to add more or less dry spices according to your taste.
- Green chilies and red chili powder are totally optional add-ons. You will be better off even if you skip them.
- If you don't mind a bit of tanginess in your gravy you may add tomatoes. Grind them into a fine paste and add them at the end of step 3.
- This gravy tastes best with Chappatis (Indian flat bread), Puris/Luchis, or even bread.
PIN IT FOR LATER!
Jolly Homemade Recipes says
Badami Aloo looks absoluelty delicious and super flavorful. Who can say NO to this yummy aloo dish, love to eat with poori!
Nisha Ramesh says
One can never have enough aloo recipes. 🙂 Wonderful share and I love this recipe. It is a great alternative to dum aloo recipe.
Shalu Jain says
Ahaaa!! What a superb share and that too without onion n garlic. Looks super scrumptious. A must try recipe during festival times.
Priya Srinivasan says
Ohh yumm that aloo gravy looks delish! Can imagine the flavors of cashew paste and spices rich and royal!!
Badami aloo looks delicious and tempting.Beautiful clicks.Bookmarked it.
Thank you so very much dear Vanitha for your lovely and kind words 🙂
Vanitha Bhat says
Drooling here girl!!! Looks fabulous and rich; I love dishes with simple ingredients but which look divine and really have awesome taste. Such a delicious and beautiful share! 🙂 🙂
Jagruti Dhanecha says
WE make this when there is no one in the mood for onion garlic based dish, such a flavourful, creamy and lip-smacking dish to enjoy for a Sunday brunch with garma garam poori!
Geetha Priyanka says
How gorgeous and lush this aloo dish looks. This is a recipe that really comes in handy during festive season or when we have to serve a guest who doesn't eat onion and garlic.
Mildly Indian says
The gravy looks so lush. aloo anyway is a comfort, I am so in love with this recipe.
Potatoes in nutty sauce , ahaaaa !!! Sounds yummilicious 🙂
No onion garlic recipe is perfect useful share for these days .
Poonam Bachhav says
During festivals we opt for onion garlic food and I always look for such recipes ..the badami aloo looks super tempting and I am sure this baby potato dish will steal the show !
Thank you so much Lata for such lovely words 🙂
Thank you so much Soma for such lovely words, you made my day 🙂
Thank you Shobha 🙂
Nice and rich aloo curry made without onion and garlic.. Perfect for the festive season.
Soma Mukherjee says
Meghna Niramish Aloo Dom is our family favourite while fasting days, loved your idea of adding cashew paste to it to make it more rich and creamy, will try your recipe next time for sure and enjoy it with some hot phulko Luchs,������
Lata Lala says
Potatoes in nutty sauce sounds yummilicious. Moreover being no onion garlic recipe is big boon in fastings too.
Thanks for the useful share.