Instant Pot Shrimp Fajitas made with our homemade Salt free Fajita Seasoning can be your next favorite meal. Juicy, plump shrimp coated with amazing bold fajita flavors and well cooked bell peppers make this Instant Pot Fajita dinner extremely addictive!
Don’t miss our huge collection of easy Instant Pot Recipes!
Shrimp Fajitas with rice
10 mins is all you need to make this Chili’s shrimp fajitas recipe! 0 mins pressure cook time and the rest is prep work and a tad bit of sautéing. Well, you can skip that too and make it a dump & start Instant pot dinner. We sautéed the garlic & onion for 1 min to release the amazing flavors.
Tips & Tricks
- More flavor: Sautéing the minced garlic and the sliced onion will add a layer of amazing flavor. However, you can skip this part and make this shrimp fajita recipe a dump & start instant pot dinner.
- Store-bought fajita seasoning vs homemade: Homemade is the best. You can make it in just less than 5 mins with a few pantry spices. It’ll last long, more flavorful, you can control the spice level, budget friendly and makes the best Fajitas in the whole wide world. Check out our homemade sugar free & salt free fajita seasoning recipe.
- Best Shrimp: Use de-shelled and de-veined frozen shrimp (no need to thaw). We prefer Colossal, extra large, Jumbo.
- Crispy crunchy bell peppers: If you do not prefer well cooked softer bell peppers than do add them after the pressure cooking cycle is over. Follow NOTES at the bottom of the post for more details. Today’s recipe has softer well cooked bell peppers.
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements at the bottom of the post. The list below is just a reference.
- Frozen Shrimp: Use raw de-shelled, de-veined frozen colossal, jumbo or extra large shrimp. Smaller shrimp will shrink a lot and won’t be that meaty and flavorful. DO NOT use cooked frozen shrimp (pink color). You can also use thawed shrimp. The cook time would remain the same.
- Onion: Yellow onion works best in this recipe. DO NOT use red onion. It’ll make the dish taste pungent.
- Garlic: Minced garlic.
- Bell Peppers: Choose your favorite colors and do not miss the green bell pepper, it adds a lot of crisp and freshness to the dish. The other colors will add a subtle sweetness. We chose green, yellow and red bell pepper.
- Fajita seasoning: We used out homemade sugar free and salt free fajita seasoning recipe. The best flavor guaranteed and it takes less than 5 mins to make a batch of fajita seasoning. Easy peasy, budget friendly with the best flavors in the whole wide world. No sugar, no salt and no cornstarch either! And you can control the spice level too!
- Better than Bouillon Chicken base: This stuff is crazy good, it almost instantly elevates the flavor of food. Use Better than Bouillon chicken base and you’ll never go back to store bought chicken stock again. (it’s not show in the pic above, I forgot to add it in the photo).
- Cooking fat: Any neutral oil would work. Check out the list of neutral oils at the bottom of the post in the NOTES.
- Liquid: Water.
How to make Shrimp fajitas in instant pot?
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements + Video at the bottom of the post.
Step #1 Dump ingredients
- Saute aromatics: To add more flavors saute the garlic and onion for just 1 min in oil (Saute function set at HIGH heat). You can skip this step if you are in a hurry and just dump everything and pressure cook.
- De-glaze pot: Pour water and de-glaze the pot with a spatula scraping the sides and the bottom of the pot to loosen any stuck food particles. This will prevent BURN error!
- Dump ingredients: Add the bell peppers and the frozen shrimp (No need to thaw). Finally, add a homemade fajita seasoning and DO NOT stir or mix.
Step #2 Pressure cook & serve
- Pressure cook: Secure the lid and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 0 minute. Yes you have to set the time to zero by pressing the adjust button. By the time the instant pot will build pressure the shrimp will de frost and cook through beautifully. Immediately perform a quick pressure release manually and open the lid.
- Mix and serve: Give everything in the pot a good stir. Serve immediately and enjoy! To help prevent the shrimp from cooking down further bring out the steel insert of the instant pot and rest it on the counter top. This will prevent the trapped heat from the base of the instant pot from over cooking the shrimp.
What to serve with shrimp fajitas?
How to store shrimp fajitas?
Fridge: Instant pot shrimp fajitas will last for 4 days in the fridge when stored in air tight containers. Follow the reheating directions shared below.
Freezer: This Chili’s shrimp fajitas recipe freezes well for upto 2 months. Store them in heavy duty freezer safe bags or containers. Thaw over night in the fridge and follow the reheating directions shared below.
What wine goes with shrimp fajitas?
The best wines to serve with shrimp fajitas:
- Sauvignon Blanc.
- German Riesling.
- Californian Chardonnay.
- Argentinian Malbec.
What sauce goes with shrimp fajitas?
Instant Pot Shrimp FajitasPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 25 Shrimp (**frozen, raw, de-shelled, de-veined, tails off. Use colossal, jumbo or extra large.)
- 1 green bell pepper (**thinly sliced. Medium bell pepper.)
- 1 red bell pepper (**thinly sliced. Medium bell pepper.)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (**thinly sliced. Medium bell pepper.)
- 1 onion (**medium yellow onion roughly sliced.)
- 1 tbsp garlic (**minced)
- 2 tbsp fajita seasoning
- 1 tsp Better Than Bouillon (**chicken base.)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (**use any neutral oil. Refer NOTES below.)
- salt (**use according to your personal preference.)
- 1/4 cup Water
- Saute aromatics: Set the instant pot on HIGH heat on SAUTE function. Add oil and when the oil becomes moderately hot gently release the garlic and onion and saute for 1 minute. Press CANCEL to turn off the SAUTE function.
- De-glaze pot: Pour 1/4 cup water and de-glaze the pot very well scraping the sides and the bottom of the pot with the help of a spatula. This will help loosen any stuck food particles and prevent the BURN error.
- Dump ingredients in order: Add the sliced bell peppers and the frozen shrimp. DO NOT mix or stir. Finally sprinkle the fajita seasoning on the top. DO NOT stir or mix.
- Pressure Cook: Secure the lid of the instant pot seal the valve and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 0 minute. You can set the zero minute time by pressing the adjust button. Once, the cooking cycle is over the instant pot will begin to beep. Immediately perform a quick pressure release manually by moving the valve from the sealing to the venting position. TURN OFF the instant pot & open the lid carefully.
- Mix & serve: Give everything in the pot a good stir to evenly distribute the fajita seasoning so that the veggies and the shrimp gets well coated with the seasoning. Serve the shrimp fajitas hot and enjoy!
- Neutral Oils: Oils that don’t have any strong smell or taste of their own are known as neutral oils. Avocado oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, vegetable oil, and light or extra light olive oil are good examples of neutral oils. You can use any of these oils to make the instant pot shrimp fajitas.
- Can I use thawed raw shrimp? Yes you can use thawed raw shrimp that are de-shelled, de-veined. Stick to the colossal, jumbo or extra large shrimp.
- Homemade Fajita seasoning: Do not miss our homemade sugar free and salt free homemade fajita seasoning recipe. It will make the best Fajitas in the whole wide world.
- Salt: Our homemade fajita seasoning is salt free so we added salt (according to our personal preference) to make the recipe. If you decide to use store bought fajita seasoning that do not add extra salt as the the store bought seasoning already contains salt.