Perfect Jasmine Rice Instant Pot – learn how to cook Jasmine rice in Instant Pot with easy tips & tricks. No more Burn errors, no more mushy Rice, no more dirty pots, you’ll have perfect white Jasmine rice in Instant Pot every single time. Don’t miss the video, tips & notes!
Don’t miss our huge collection of easy Instant Pot Recipes!
Instant Pot Jasmine Rice Recipe
Cooking Jasmine Rice in Instant Pot will become a breeze with our failproof tips & tricks. You can make perfect white Jasmine rice in Instant Pot like a pro every single time by avoiding the BURN error, sticky rice, undercooked rice & messy pots.
Don’t forget to check out our wonderful collection of Asian Takeout recipes that goes very well with Instant Pot Thai Jasmine rice.
Which Jasmine rice is the best?
- Oriental Select Farms Premium Thai Jasmine Rice.
- Golden Start Premium Thai Jasmine Rice.
- Imperial Dragon Jasmine Rice.
- Dynasty Jasmine Rice.
Jasmine White Rice Instant Pot – Ingredients
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements at the bottom of the post. The list below is just a reference.
- White Jasmine Rice: Rinsed and drained very well. Refer the tips below! You can use any brand that you prefer or purchase one of the brands that we love (find them at the bottom of the post in NOTES).
- Water: Cold or room temperature. DO NOT use hot or warm water.
Instant Pot Perfect Jasmine Rice – Tips & Tricks
- Fluffy, non sticky, perfect white Jasmine rice secret: Rinse the white Jasmine rice very well several times under running tap water until clear water runs through. You need to gently rub the rice with your fingers while rinsing it. This is very important and will help rinse out the surface starch from the rice. As a result, you’ll have fluffy and prefect white Jasmine rice in Instant pot every single time. Rinsing the rice will also prevent the BURN error.
- Perfect Jasmine rice to water ratio: For every cup of white Jasmine rice (not rinsed) you need to add 1 cup water (normal or room temperature). 1:1 rice to water ration works the best in Instant Pot.
- Prevent Mushy rice: Drain the rinsed Jasmine rice until all the excess water drains well. A metal colander works very well. If you leave any excess water the cooked rice will become mushy. It’ll alter the 1:1 rice to water ratio & make the rice gummy.
- Prevent messy pot: A layer of cooked rice often sticks at the bottom of the pot & dries out making it difficult to rinse the pot clean. You can prevent this in a cinch. As soon as you are done fluffing the cooked rice bring out the steel insert of the instant pot and keep it on the counter top. This simple hack will prevent the residual heat trapped at the base of the pot from over cooking & drying out the bottom layer of the cooked rice.
- Al dente Jasmine Rice: Cook the rinsed and drained Jasmine rice for 3 mins on high pressure followed by 10 mins natural pressure release.
- Softer white Jasmine Rice: Cook the rinsed and drained Jasmine rice for 5 mins on high pressure followed by 10 mins natural pressure release.
How to cook Jasmine Rice in Instant Pot?
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements + Video at the bottom of the post.
Step #1 Rinse white Jasmine Rice
- Rinse white Jasmine Rice: Measure the white Jasmine rice and than add it in a bowl along with lots of water, with the help of your fingers rub the rice and rinse it well. Drain the cloudy water, refill the bowl with more water and repeat the process until you get absolutely clear water. This will help rinse out the surface starch from the rice and make it fluffy and non mushy.
- Drain the rinsed rice: Once clear water runs through drain the rinsed rice with the help of a metal colander and allow the excess water drain out completely. This is important!
Step #2 Pressure cook white Jasmine rice
- Pressure cook: Add the rinsed and drained rice in the instant pot along with water. Make sure the rice grains are submerged in water. Secure the lid and pressure cook on high for 3 mins (al dente rice) & 5 mins (softer rice) followed my 10 mins natural pressure release.
Step #3 Fluff pressure cooked Jasmine rice
- Fluff & serve: Gently fluff the cooked white Jasmine rice with the help of a fork. Immediate transfer the steel insert of the instant pot on the counter top to prevent the rice from getting over cooked and turning dry. Serve and enjoy!
What does Jasmine Rice go with?
- Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken.
- Instant Pot Sesame Chicken.
- Instant Pot Orange Chicken.
- Instant pot chicken and broccoli.
- Instant pot Mongolian Chicken.
- Instant Pot Kung Pao Chicken.
- Instant Pot Cashew Chicken.
- Instant Pot Chicken Teriyaki.
- Instant pot Thai green shrimp curry.
What Jasmine rice is used in?
Jasmine rice is extensively used to make one pot rice dinners like this:
- Instant Pot Hibachi Fried Rice.
- Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice.
- Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper soup with sausage.
- Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup Instant Pot.
- Instant Pot Shrimp Paella.
Fridge: Instant Pot white Jasmine Rice will last for 4 days in the fridge when stored in air tight containers. Follow the re-heating directions shared below.
Freezer: Freeze portion size Jasmine rice in individual meal prep freezer safe containers or heavy duty freezer safe bags and freeze for upto 2 months. Thaw the frozen Jasmine rice over night in the fridge and follow the re-heating directions below.
Jasmine rice in Instant Pot – FAQs
Jasmine rice (al dente) would take just 3 minutes on high pressure followed by 10 minutes natural release and Jasmine rice (soft) would take 5 mins on high pressure followed by 10 mins natural release.
The ratio of water to rice for Jasmine rice is 1:1. For every 1 cup rinsed and well drained white Jasmine rice you need to use 1 cup of water (cold or room temperature).
You can make instant pot Jasmine rice 1 cup by rinsing & draining the Jasmine rice and pressure cooking for 3 minutes in the instant pot followed by 10 mins natural release. You can also make 1 cup Jasmine rice in instant pot by pot in pot method. That is cooking the rice + water in a small oven save container and placing the container on a metal trivet with water in the main pot. The cook time would remain the same.
Yes, Jasmine rice is gluten free.
Adding more water than recommended in the recipe will make your Jasmine rice mushy. Also, not draining the rinsed rice well will make it mushy.
Adding less water or under cooking the rice will lead to hard and chewy Jasmine rice. Do stick to the 1:1 rice to water ratio and rinse and drain the rice very well.
Perfect Jasmine Rice Instant PotPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 2 cups Jasmine Rice (**white jasmine rice rinsed very well until clear water runs through.)
- 2 cups Water (**normal or room temperature.)
- Rinse & drain white Jasmine rice: Take Jasmine rice in a bowl, pour enough water and rub the rice gently with your fingers, you will find the water turn cloudy, drain this water and repeat the process until clear water runs through. This will help rinse out the surface starch from the rice. Drain the rinsed white jasmine rice with the help of a colander. This is important, there should not be excess water left.
- Pressure Cook: Pour 2 cups normal or room temperature water in the instant pot, add the rinsed & drained white Jasmine rice and make sure the grains are all below the water level. Secure the lid of the instant pot, seal the valve and pressure cook on high for 3 mins (al dente rice) & 5 mins (softer rice). Once, the pressure cooking cycle is over wait for natural pressure release for 10 minutes and than release the rest of the pressure manually by moving the valve from the sealing to the venting position. Open the lid carefully when the metal pin on top the lid drops. TURN OFF the instant pot.
- Fluff & serve Jasmine rice: Gently fluff the pressure cooked white Jasmine rice with the help of a pair of fork. Immediately take out the instant pot steel insert with the help of a pair of heat proof mittens and place it on the counter top. This will prevent the Jasmine rice from getting over cooked & drying out with the residual heat trapped in the base of the instant pot. Serve hot and enjoy!
- Jasmine Rice: Use white Jasmine rice.
- Rinse Rice: Rinse the Jasmine rice very well to remove the surface starch from the rice. Rinsing out the surface starch will result in fluffy and non-gummy rice.
- Drain the rinsed rice: Drain the rinsed rice very well so that there’s no excess water left. Excess water might result in mushy rice.
- Prevent dry & over cooked rice: As soon as you are done fluffing the rice remove the steel insert of the instant pot and place it on the counter top. This will prevent the rice from getting dry and over cooked with the trapped heat from the base of the Instant Pot. The base of the instant pot takes a while to cool down. You’ll also end up with a clean pot.