Instant Pot Stir Fry Shrimp with veggies and our popular homemade stir-fry sauce tastes even better than take-out. Juicy plump shrimp with lots of great flavor and crisp tender veggies. Don’t miss the Video & Tips.
Check out our fabulous Instant Pot Asian Take-Out Recipes!
Table Of Contents
Instant Pot Shrimp Stir Fry
The secret to today’s recipe is our homemade stir fry sauce & also the crisp tender veggies that doesn’t mush up. The stir fry sauce is packed with great flavors, salty, savory, mildly sweet with a slight kick from the pepper flakes.
You’ll thoroughly love this Instant Pot Shrimp Stir Fry on a bed of steamed rice. If you are looking for healthier option go for some steamed white quinoa instead of rice.
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements at the bottom of the post. The list below is just a reference.
- Shrimp: Colossal, Jumbo or Tiger shrimp works best.
- Veggies: We chose zucchini, snow peas & red bell peppers.
- Aromatics: Yellow onion.
- Thickener: Corn Starch slurry.
Homemade Stir-fry Sauce:
- Soy Sauce: Use either regular or light soy sauce, tamari or even coconut aminos (they don’t taste like coconut). Pick low sodium variety soy sauce.
- Sriracha Sauce: Adds a slight kick to the sauce and boosts the flavor manifold.
- Rice Wine
- Honey: Balances the flavors of the other ingredients and adds a mild sweetness to the sauce. So good! You can also sub the honey with brown sugar.
- Red Pepper Flakes: We like our homemade stir-fry sauce slightly spicy. Hence, we love red pepper flakes. However, you may skip using them if you are intolerant to heat.
- Ginger: Use finely chopped fresh ginger root.
- Garlic: Use fresh finely chopped garlic.
- Any Neutral Oil: We chose avocado oil. You can use oils like sunflower, canola, peanut, corn, extra light olive.
- Water: The water helps curb the saltiness of the soy sauce so do use it.
Tips & Tricks
- Bringing alive the wok flavors: If you are after the great wok flavors than we do recommend that you sear the veggies in the Instant Pot first and than begin the recipe. The veggies will slightly brown around the edges and this will enormously increase the flavor of the dish and disguise the fact that it’s made in the pressure cooker. We so recommend that you do this extra step.
- Shrimp Cook time: Cook the shrimp not more than zero minutes. By the time the Instant Pot builds pressure the shrimp will be all done. The shrimp will remain nice and juicy.
- Avoid mushy veggies: The zucchini cook fast and have a tendency to become falling apart soft. In order to avoid that saute or sear the veggies in batches and set aside. Add them at the end after thickening the sauce. You’ll have crisp tender veggies that’ll taste great in every bite.
- Homemade Stir-fry sauce: You can store the homemade stir-fry sauce in the fridge, just skip adding the water. You can add the water later.
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements + Video at the bottom of the post.
Step #1 Saute the veggies
If you want all those amazing wok flavors in your pressure cooked Shrimp Stir-fry than do saute or sear the veggies in batches. You won’t believe how much flavor they add to the dish.
Saute the zucchini first in the Instant Pot on SAUTE function set on HIGH heat settings. Let those brown spots develop. Than saute the onion and at last the bell peppers and snow peas until blisters form on the surface. Set the sauteed veggies aside.
The veggies will lend the world’s best wok flavor to the dish and also remain crisp tender. Amazing!
However, if you prefer softer, mushy veggies you can avoid this step and proceed to the next step where you can dump everything in the Instant Pot and cook together.
Step #2 Pressure Cook Shrimp
De-glaze the pot very well with the help of a spatula and some water. Scrape the bottom and the sides of the pot to loosen any food particles.
Add the raw or frozen thawed de-shelled, de-veined shrimp, pour the amazing homemade stir-fry sauce and pressure cook for just zero minutes followed by a quick release.
Oh yes, the shrimp will be done by the time the pressure cooker builds pressure.
Step #3 Thicken Sauce & add veggies
Turn back the SAUTE function and set it on LOW. Bring the sauce to a simmer and add the cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce. Once the sauce reaches the consistency that you love add back the sauteed veggies and give everything a good stir.
Voila! you’ll have an amazing glossy sauce, juicy plump shrimp and crisp tender veggies that can challenge the unbeatable flavors of it’s wok made cousin 😀
The Instant Pot stir fry shrimp tastes amazing when served on a bed of steamed white rice. You can also enjoy it with a simple Chili Garlic Noodles.
Instant Pot Stir Fry ShrimpPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
For Homemade Stir-Fry Sauce
- 1/4 cup Soy sauce (**low sodium. You can use light or regular soy sauce or tamari or coconut aminos)
- 1 tsp ginger (**minced)
- 1/2 tbsp garlic (**minced)
- 1 tsp red chili flakes (**optional or you can use less)
- 1 tsp Sriracha sauce. (**skip if heat intolerant)
- 1/2 tbsp Rice Wine
- 1 tbsp Honey (** or 1/2 tbsp brown sugar)
- 1 tbsp Avocado oil (**or use any neutral oil)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch (**diluted in 2 tbsp water)
How to make home-made Stir-Fry Sauce?
- Add all the ingredients mentioned above in the "For the Stir-Fry Sauce" section in mason jar, close the lid of the jar and shake well to mix everything together. In case you are planning to store the sauce in the fridge skip adding the water now.
How to make Shrimp Stir-Fry in Instant Pot?
- Set the Instant Pot on SAUTE function and set it on HIGH heat.
- Add 1 tbsp oil and when the oil becomes really hot gently release the zucchini and brown them slightly rotating the sides with the help of a tong. Once done, set them aside.
- Next, add the onion and saute for about 1 minutes. Set them aside.
- Finally, saute or sear the snow peas and the diced bell pepper for about 1 minute. Set them aside.
- In the same pot add 1/4 cup water and de-glaze the pot very well by scraping the bottom of the pot with the help of a spatula. There should not be any food particles stuck at the bottom of the pot. This will prevent the BURN error.
- Now, add the de-shelled and de-veined shrimp and pour the homemade Stir-fry sauce. Give everything a quick stir.
- Close the lid, seal the valve and PRESSURE COOK for just 0 minute. By the time the Instant Pot builds pressure the shrimp will be cooked through. That's why the 0 minute time.
- Once the pressure cooking cycle is over, the instant pot will begin to beep. Immediately do a quick pressure release (QPR) by manually moving the valve from the SEALING to the VENTING position.
- Open the lid and add the corn starch slurry. Hit back the SAUTE function and keep it on low. Thicken the sauce. Turn off the Instant Pot once the sauce reaches the consistency that you prefer.
- Finally, add back the sauteed veggies and give everything a good mix. The veggies will cook further with the residual heat.
- Serve hot, enjoy!
- Storing the Stir-Fry Sauce: The stir-fry sauce will last for 7 days in the fridge when stored in air tight container. Skip adding the water.
- Storing the Shrimp stir fry: You can store this Instant Pot Shrimp stir fry for 4 days in the fridge. The sauce will thicken.
- Can you freeze the recipe: I would not recommend freezing the dish. The veggies do not do quiet well in the freezer.
- Re-Heating Tips: You can re-heat the shrimp stir-fry in the microwave oven. Sprinkle few drops of water before re-heating.
- Doubling the recipe: The shrimp cook time remains the same. Double all other ingredients.
- If heat intolerant: Skip adding the sriracha sauce and the red pepper flakes. You can also reduce the quantities.
- Can you use cooked shrimp? No, cooked shrimp won’t work here. The amazing flavors is all derived from the un cooked shrimp juices.
- Can you use small shrimp? We would not recommend shrimp that are any smaller than the Colossal or Jumbo sizes. The small shrimp shrink a lot and does not taste that great!
- Softer mushy veggies: If you prefer softer veggies skip sauteing the veggies separately. Instead dump them along with the shrimp and pressure cook together for 0 minute.