Oil Free Chicken Curry will save you some serious cooking time as it is a dump and Go Instant Pot recipe. Delicious, juicy Chicken on the bones cooked with pantry staple whole spices made into a masala powder & tomato paste. The recipe is gluten free, onion free and oil free. Make it for a quick delicious dinner in a hurry.
Love Instant Pot Recipes? Browse the full Instant Pot Recipes Collection from Foodies Terminal.
Oil Free Chicken Curry Recipe
I must confess that this is a Chicken curry in a hurry like this 5 mins Chicken Drumstick Curry recipe 😛
No expertise required and there’s absolutely no active cooking involved like searing, sautéing, frying, braising etc.
The only thing you’ve to make is the quick masala powder and that’ll take hardly 1-2 mins to make.
You can use either boneless chicken pieces or chicken on the bones.
You don’t need onion or oil for cooking today’s Indian Chicken curry and it will taste just as good.
The Chicken has enough fat already that’ll blend in the gravy and form a lovely layer on top. The fat from the chicken is enough to make the recipe finger licking good.
You’ll never miss the oil in this recipe ever!
Grab the pantry staple whole spices like coriander & cumin seeds, dry Kashmiri red chilies, pepper corns and make your own masala powder by quickly blending them in a mixer grinder.
Dump the chicken along with the tomato paste (store bought), masala powder and water. Seal and pressure cook.
A delicious, spicy, chicken curry ready in just 6 mins in the Instant Pot.
You can even make the masala powder ahead and store it for future use. I always love using mine fresh.
Ingredients for Zero oil Chicken Curry
- Chicken: You can use either chicken on the bones or boneless chicken like breast or thigh pieces. We love chicken on the bones because it yields more fat in the gravy. In conclusion, boneless chicken is no less tasty.
- Ginger Garlic Paste: Fresh homemade Ginger Garlic paste always tastes best and helps create some fabulous recipes. Don’t miss the awesome ginger garlic paste recipe from Foodies Terminal, it’s the best and shall last you the longest without turning green. You can even freeze it.
- Tomato Paste: Use the store bought ones available in the can or in the tube.
- For the Masala Powder: Dry whole Kashmiri Red Chilies, Coriander seeds, cumin seeds and whole black pepper corns.
- Garnish: Garam Masala Powder.
- Lime or Lemon Juice.
Tips – Zero oil Chicken Curry
- If you prefer more fat in the chicken curry recipe use chicken on the bones and skinless.
- Do not skip using the dry whole Kashmiri red chilies: They boost the taste of todays spicy chicken curry recipe a lot and is the only secret ingredient to make it bowl licking good.
- For extra tang use more lemon or lime juice.
- Do not alter the measurements: Follow the oil free chicken curry recipe to the T and do not swap this for that.
- Homemade fresh ginger garlic paste makes a huge difference. Grab the fabulous recipe from this blog, make it and use it.
Pro Tip: This Oil free chicken curry recipe is spicy. However, if you want to cut back on the spice level do remove the seeds from the Kashmiri red chilies and than grind them to a powder with the other whole spices. DO NOT swap it with Deggi Mirch powder or Paprika.
How long can you store Oil Free Chicken Curry?
You can store the oil free chicken curry for 4 days in the fridge.
How to make Oil Free Chicken Curry?
Steps in words below pictures
Time needed: 11 minutes.
How to make Oil Free Chicken Curry?
- Dump all the Ingredients in the cooking Vessel
Add all the Ingredients except the Garam masala powder to the Instant Pot. You may dump everything at one go or proceed ahead with each ingredients as shown above in the step by step pictures. Mix well so that the pastes and the masalas incorporate uniformly in the water.
- Pressure cook
Cover the Instant Pot, seal the valve. Pressure cook on High for 6 mins. Do a Natural pressure release for 5-10 mins and than open the lid. This helps the fat to float on top of the oil free chicken curry and it looks lovely.
Love Chicken? Try these easy Chicken curry recipes from Foodies Terminal.
Oil Free Chicken CurryPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
For the Masala Powder
Making the Masala Powder
- Remove the crown from the dry kashmiri red chilies. If you prefer non spicy food remove the seeds too.
- Add all the whole spices namely the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, the peppers corns and the kashmiri dry red chilies to a blender and make a smooth powder. Set aside.
How to make Oil Free Chicken Curry in the Instant Pot?
- Wash the chicken pieces very well and set them aside.
- Add 2 cups water to the Instant Pot. Mix in the tomato paste.
- Than, add the chickn pieces, the ginger garlic paste and the masala powder. Give everything a very good mix.
- Cover the Instant Pot, seal the valve and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 6 mins.
- After 6 mins when the Instant Pot Begins to beep. Wait for Natural Pressure Release (NPR) for 5-10 mins than release the rest of the pressure and open the pot.
- Garnish with garam masala powder and lemon juice. Serve hot. Enjoy.
How to make OIl Free Chicken Curry on the stove top?
- Follow the same recipe. Instead of using an Instead Pot use a Kadai or deep bottomed sauce pan to cook the Zero oil Chicken Curry. Cover and cook the Chicken over medium low heat until done. It should take you about 15-20 mins.
- Measuring Units used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.
- You can make today’s recipe with boneless chicken pieces such as Chicken breasts or chicken thighs.
- Today’s Oil Free Chicken Curry has a fair amount of gravy. If you prefer lesser gravy just simmer the curry in the Instant Pot on SAUTE kept at NORMAL for few mins until it reaches your preferred consistency.
Pin it for Later!