Goat Rogan Josh is a signature mutton curry from Kashmir, India. A Kashmiri Mutton Rogan Josh Recipe consists of goat or lamb meat cooked in an aromatic & thin sauce that looks fiery red. The tender meat in the Kashmiri Rogan josh recipe soaks in all the flavors of the spices & becomes extremely aromatic. Learn How to make an Authentic Kashmiri Mutton Rogan Josh by watching my step by step Video Recipe. This is a super easy mutton rogan josh recipe that you will ever try!
Table Of Contents
- 1 Fascinating introduction of Goat Rogan Josh – Instant Pot | Kashmiri Mutton Rogan Josh Recipe:
- 2 Goat Rogan Josh + Video – Instant Pot | Kashmiri Mutton Rogan Josh Recipe – Popular FAQs
- 3 Expert tips from Foodies Terminal on Goat Rogan Josh + Video | Instant Pot | Kashmiri Mutton Rogan Josh Recipe:
- 4 Goat Rogan Josh + Video | Instant Pot | Kashmiri Mutton Rogan Josh recipe
Fascinating introduction of Goat Rogan Josh – Instant Pot | Kashmiri Mutton Rogan Josh Recipe:
Are you ready to bring this 400-year-old Recipe – Goat Rogan Josh to your dinner table today?
Whether you want to bring history to your table or not, this Mutton Rogan Josh recipe is freaking delicious!
The unbeatable aroma of fennel, ginger powder & saffron shines through the gravy sans overwhelming notes!
Introduced to the land of Kashmir by the Mughals & can be traced back to the Persian cuisine, I can totally understand why this Rogan Josh recipe is a signature dish of the land of Kashmir!
This runny gravy of an authentic Kashmiri Mutton Rogan Josh will make you believe that a tasty preparation does not need Onion or garlic at all.
Kashmir- the crown of India, is a fascinating land of a rich, aromatic & priceless cuisine!
This is because once upon a time the famous silk route would pass through Kashmir leaving behind a strong Persian influence in the Kashmiri cuisine.
You will amazingly find lots of Persian names like Rogan Josh, Yakhni, Tabak Maaz etc in Kashmir’s food culture.
Today’s Gosht Rogan josh recipe is one of Kashmir’s most loved dish that is popular all over India & also abroad.
I thoroughly enjoyed cooking this mutton curry in a Kashmiri Pandit style, it has that gorgeous fiery red color minus all the heat. It looks rich but it’s suprisingly very mild!
Goat Rogan Josh + Video – Instant Pot | Kashmiri Mutton Rogan Josh Recipe – Popular FAQs
What is Mutton Rogan Josh?
Mutton Rogan Josh is a Kashmiri Mutton Curry that is cooked either with goat meat or lamb meat combined with few aromatic spices like fennel, ginger, cumin, cardamom etc.
Traditionally, while preparing Goat Rogan Josh or Kashmiri Rogan Josh recipe the mutton pieces are braised in the melange of those few aromatic spices and then the Dampokhtak technique of cooking is used to finish the mutton gravy.
To save time I used my electronic pressure cooker or an Instant Pot to cook today’s Goat Rogan Josh recipe!
You may replace it with a traditional pressure cooker or even a slow cooker!
Rogan Josh arrived in Kashmir along with the Mughals around 400 years ago, when the Mughal emperor gave frequent visits to Kashmir to get some respite from the hot Indian summers!
But, originally Mutton Rogan Josh Recipe has its root in Persian Cuisine where Rogan = Clarified Butter or Ghee and Josh = cooking on
The characteristic of an authentic Kashmiri mutton Rogan josh is its
The deep red color of a Goat Rogan Josh comes from dried flowers or root of Ratan Jot. I was unable to find Ratan Jot in the grocery stores in the USA hence I used liberal amounts of Kashmiri red chili paste + powder.
Variations of Kashmiri Rogan Josh Recipe:
There are two variations of preparing an authentic Kashmiri Rogan Josh Recipe
The Kashmiri Pandits cook it without onion & garlic, whereas, the Kashmiri Muslims use a special variety of shallots known as “Paan” & petals of “Maval” or cockscomb flowers for coloring the gravy.
The Kashmiri Muslims also use Onion & garlic to prepare Mutton Rogan Josh.
The Goat Rogan Josh cooked in an Instant Pot today is a Kashmiri Pandits recipe and it is the best mutton rogan josh recipe that I ever tried!
Why is it called a Rogan Josh?
Being the signature dish of Kashmir – a Kashmiri Rogan Josh recipe is called Rogan Josh because of its Persian origin.
It was introduced to Kashmir by the Mughals around 400 years ago, but its origin is traced back to Persia.
In Persian language Rogan = Clarified butter or Ghee and
Josh = Cooking on heat.
Thus, Mutton Rogan Josh according to its etymology means mutton (lamb or goat meat) cooked over heat with ghee.
Kashmiri people popularly use mustard oil to cook an authentic Kashmiri Rogan Josh Recipe.
So, if you want to replace the ghee in the recipe with a pungent extra virgin mustard oil, go ahead and do it! In both ways, you’ll be greeted with absolute yumminess!
How to prepare Rogan Josh Masala?
The main Rogan Josh Masala is a very simple blend of fennel seeds powder, ginger powder & Kashmiri red chili powder. The Kashmiri red chili powder almost tastes like paprika but is milder than Cayenne pepper!
You can mix these dry powders & store them in an airtight jar for convenience. Use it when you plan to cook this easy Kashmiri Rogan Josh.
The other Masala blend that goes in the mutton gravy midway while getting cooked is a blend of mace, green cardamoms, cinnamons & whole cumin seeds blend into a fine powder (watch the Video).
You may make a big batch of this Rogan Josh Masala powder & store them for later use too!
While cooking Goat Rogan Josh recipe I love to dilute the fennel seed powder, ginger powder & Kashmiri red chili powder with a few tablespoons of water.
Diluting them, specially the Kashmiri red chili powder develops a gorgeous red color within minutes.
How do you make Rogan Josh Sauce?
Kashmiri Mutton Rogan Josh sauce is made with a few spice blends like fennel seed powder, ginger powder, Kashmiri red chili powder & a blend of mace, green cardamom, cinnamon & whole cumin seeds.
Follow my Video Recipe of Goat Rogan Josh – Instant Pot to learn how to make a Rogan Josh Sauce.
What spices are in a Rogan Josh?
The spices that go in a Goat Rogan Josh are as follows:
- A blend of Mace, Cinnamon, green cardamom, whole cumin seeds.
- A blend of ginger powder, fennel seeds powder & Kashmiri red chili powder.
Is Rogan Josh Spicy?
No, authentic Kashmiri Mutton Rogan Josh recipe is not spicy!
Though its fiery deep red color makes it look spicy, yet, a mutton Rogan Josh recipe lacks the heat, it’s sauce is thin and extremely aromatic with a punch of strong but mild flavors.
Kashmiri red chilies are used to make a Rogan Josh sauce. These red chilies lend a gorgeous red color & aroma to the gravy but are sans the heat!
Kashmiri red chilies are the pride of Kashmiri cuisine, their color & aroma has been unmatched forever!
How do you make Kashmiri Mutton Rogan Josh Recipe?
To make an easy Kashmiri Rogan Josh Recipe you will need either an electric pressure cooker- Instant Pot or a traditional Pressure cooker.
I used an Instant Pot to cook today’s easy mutton Rogan Josh Recipe and believe me, we were rewarded with the best mutton Rogan josh recipe ever!
If you want to rustle up a quick Mutton Rogan Josh Recipe, I would suggest that you always use your pressure cooker or an Instant Pot!
The only time you will spend is while braising the mutton pieces.
To make today’s goat Rogan Josh recipe you may use either goat meat or lamb meat.
I used goat meat, yes, we eat a lot of goat meat and equally love lamb meat! For today’s recipe you need to cook the meat in two stages!
Firstly, you need to braise the meat in ghee & then stew it with the Masalas and pressure cook it halfway.
Next, open the pot, add the next set of powdered Masalas & Saffron (yes, heavenly I know!) & pressure cook it until the meat is tender or almost dropping off the bones! Yummy…..
This easy Mutton Rogan Josh Recipe demands no frying the meat with the Masalas.
And also does not contain onion & garlic which are otherwise regular & basic ingredients for Indian mutton curry.
The best example of Minimal cooking that is so damn tasty is today’s authentic Kashmiri Mutton Rogan Josh Recipe cooked in a typical Kashmiri Pandit style.
Watch the detailed recipe video of Goat Rogan Josh in an Instant Pot & have
How do you make Goat Rogan J
osh in a Pressure Cooker?
Follow the Instant Pot Recipe mentioned here. Replace the Instant Pot with a regular pressure cooker.
Braise the meat over medium high heat.
Pressure cook for 4 whistles with the diluted Masalas. Do a quick pressure release.
Pressure cook again for 7 whistles after adding the dry masalas. Do a quick Pressure release when done. Serve hot!
Watch the Video Recipe of Goat Rogan Josh – Instant Pot | Kashmiri Mutton Rogan Josh Recipe:
Check out these amazing Instant Pot Recipes from Foodies Terminal:
- Chicken 65 – Instant Pot.
- Instant Pot Indian Goat Curry.
- Indian Chicken Curry – Instant Pot.
DaliyaKhichdi cooked in an Instant Pot – Savory Bulgur Wheat porridge.
- Instant Pot Rajma Chawal Recipe.
- Gajar Ka Halwa cooked in an Instant Pot / Indian Carrot Pudding.
- Bengali Ghugni – Instant Pot / Vegan dried yellow peas curry.
Expert tips from Foodies Terminal on Goat Rogan Josh + Video | Instant Pot | Kashmiri Mutton Rogan Josh Recipe:
- Mutton Shanks taste best for this easy mutton Rogan Josh recipe. If you are not able to find shanks do use your favorite pieces. If you want to find out more about what kind of mutton pieces tastes better in an Indian mutton curry than read this.
- Braise the meat well until lightly golden. Do not skip this part. Remember that we are not slow cooking the meat so we want to lock the flavors by braising.
- Check the goat meat while cooking in your Instant Pot or Pressure cooker, always remember that a baby goat takes much less time to get fully cooked as compared to an adult goat. Adjust the time accordingly.
- I prefer 2″ pieces of goat meat or lamb to cook a Goat Rogan Josh recipe. But if you want, you may use smaller pieces of meat as well.
- If you want to use cockscomb flowers in your Rogan Josh, soak them for 30 mins, strain & use the water in the mutton gravy. For every 1 part, dry cockscomb flowers use equal parts water.
- If you do not manage to find Ratan Jot then, use Kashmiri red chili powder liberally as I did.
- Do not skip adding any of the Masala powders. It will affect the taste of the Mutton Rogan Josh Sauce.
DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Do Not forget to give a STAR (*) rating! Just click on the STARS on the recipe card below to rate.
Recipe Card for Goat Rogan Josh + Video | Instant Pot | Kashmiri Mutton Rogan Josh Recipe
Goat Rogan Josh + Video | Instant Pot | Kashmiri Mutton Rogan Josh recipe
- 500 gms Goat Meat or Lamb meat (1.1 Pounds)
- 3/4 cups Ghee (You may use extra Virgin Mustard Oil)
- 1.5 tbsp Fennel Seed powder
- 1.5 tbsp Ginger Powder
- 1.5 tbsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- 1 pinch Saffron strans (also known as Zafran)
- 1/2 tbsp Kashmiri Red chili paste (Soak 2 dry Kashmiri red chili in warm water for 15 mins & then grind into a fine paste.)
- 4 Black Cardamoms
- 3 Bay leaf (small)
- Turn on the Instant Pot & press the SAUTE button. Set it on HIGH. By default, the SAUTE option remains on for 30 mins.
- Add ghee, when the ghee becomes hot add the black cardamons & the bay leaves. Allow them to sizzle for a few seconds.
- Next, add mutton pieces braise them well until golden.
- In the meantime in a clean bowl add the fennel seed powder, the ginger powder & the Kashmiri red chili powder & dilute them with some water. The Masala batter should not be runny, it should be on the thicker side.
- Now add this diluted masala & the Kashmiri red chili paste to the braised mutton pieces and pour hot water. Mix everything well. This is now pressure cooker ready.
- CANCEL the SAUTE option. Close the lid of the Instant Pot & seal the Valve (to the SEALING) position.
- Press the PRESSURE COOK button, set it on HIGH-pressure mode & pressure cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 mins when the IP starts to beep, do a QUICK pressure release.
- In the meantime grind the mace, green cardamom, cumin seeds & the cinnamon together into a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Open the lid of the IP and add the dry Masala powder along with a pinch of saffron strands.
- Mix well. Close the lid of the IP, seal the valve to the SEALING position.
- Press the PRESSURE COOKER button, set it on HIGH and pressure cook for more 15 minutes on HIGH.
- When you listen to the BEEP sound. Do a QUICK pressure release. Open the lid of the IP and serve the Goat Rogan Josh hot with some steamed rice. Enjoy!
- Use shank pieces of mutton, they taste wonderful in a Rogan Josh recipe.
- Use Kashmiri red chili powder liberally.
- Braise the meat well until golden, this will help to lock the flavors.
- Please note that baby goat needs much lesser time to get cooked well as compared to an adult goat. So if you use an adult goat meat than cook it for some more time.
- If you decide to cook the Goat Rogan Josh in a pressure cooker. Follow the exact same recipe & cook it for 4 whistles with the diluted Masala and again cook it for 7 whistles with the dry Masala + saffron.
- An authentic Kashmiri Mutton Rogan Josh is a runny gravy so add water according to your preference. This recipe is that of a runny gravy.
Measuring cup used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.PLEASE NOTE: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet or special diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator!
Pin this Goat Rogan Josh for later!