Daliya Khichdi recipe cooked with Bulgur wheat, lentils & a few veggies is an exceptionally healthy one-pot meal packed with nutrients. It's comforting, light on the stomach & very filling. Slightly nutty & slightly chewy!
If you are on the mission to lose a few extra pounds or to slash down your belly fat or to cook something easy yet healthy then look no further this Daliya Khichdi recipe is your best pal!
So are you ready to bring this
What is Dalia or Bulgur - a short history
Dalia also popularly known as Bulgur or cracked wheat or broken wheat is an ancient whole grain. It's existence and usage dates back to the Mediterranean Civilization & 4000 years!
Dalia or cracked wheat is made by crushing the raw whole wheat kernels into small pieces.
The whole process involves minimal processing that helps keep the husk & the germ of the wheat kernel intact making it a
Even the Chinese emperor Shen Nung did not hesitate to value this ancient whole grain and classified it as one of the sacred crops during his reign, the others in the clan being rice, barley, soybeans & millet.
Packed to the brim with health benefits this ancient whole grain quickly gained popularity in India and formed the base for myriad recipes, like this Daliya Khichdi recipe.
Dalia or cracked wheat formed an indispensable part of the Middle Eastern cuisine too from thousands of years. The Egyptians, Arabs, Israeli & Roman civilizations consumed this ancient grain since 1000 B.C.
Bulgur is slightly different from Dalia, though they are used interchangeably. Bulgur is a cracked wheat that has been parboiled or to say it undergoes a slight processing! But it's not completely stripped off from it's husk & bran.
Whereas, Dalia or broken wheat is not partially boiled! Dalia is
Is Dalia good for health
Daliya khichdi recipe or Bulgur is a powerhouse of nutrients! It's low in fat, high in vitamins & minerals like magnesium, manganese, iron and it's an excellent source of plant-based protein!
Daliya Khichdi recipe is also an excellent source of fiber, antioxidants & phytonutrients. If you are looking to fill up your dietary need of fiber on a daily dose basis, then Dalia is undoubtedly your best choice!
It provides an excellent dose of dietary fiber essential for your digestive & heart health.
Here is a list of Health benefits of Daliya Khichdi recipe......
10 Health benefits of Dalia or Bulgur
- Protects Heart health as it maintains cholesterol level
- Slows down the absorption of sugar & helps with diabetes!
- Keeps you full for a long time & hence, aids in weight loss. Keep binge eating at bay. The fiber in it helps you feel fuller.
- Balances the body's pH level.
- Improves immunity against chronic diseases.
- Helps build muscle mass as it's packed with protein & loaded with vitamins and minerals.
- Relieves constipation as it is a rich source of fiber. The husk & bran contains fiber.
- Dalia is excellent for growing children as it is a natural source of vitamin B, minerals, fiber, & protein.
- Dalia or Bulgur is easy on the stomach & hence, it's an excellent recovery food for patients.
- Reduces the risk of breast cancers.
Is Dalia good for weight loss
Yes, Dalia or Bulgur aids in losing weight effectively. Daliya khichdi recipe contains more fiber and is a rich source of vitamins & minerals too.
The Fiber in Bulgur or Dalia does not contribute to carbohydrates or calories because it's not absorbable within the body. Hence, it helps keep you more satiated and feel fuller for longer.
In turn it helps to curb down binge eating, over-eating and supports a healthy weight.
The fiber found in the whole grains such as Dalia also helps to balance healthy blood sugar levels. This
Is Dalia good for Diabetes
Dalia or Bulgur is good for diabetes. This is because Dalia has a low glycemic index.
This results in a steady release of glucose into the bloodstream and thus, helps in managing blood sugar levels.
Thus Daliya Khichdi recipe is a good choice for diabetics.
It's always wise to seek medical advise before including any new food to your diet. Just talk to your doctor first!
What is Daliya Khichdi recipe
Daliya Khichdi recipe is a simple, healthy & nutritious one-pot meal. You can cook Daliya Khichdi
Dalia recipe for weight loss has the consistency of porridge or sometimes a little thinner.
It is a versatile one pot meal recipe that's so easy to make & at the same time keeps you satiated for a long time.
Khichdi made with Dalia may be enjoyed
Ingredients for Daliya Khichdi recipe in Instant Pot & some easy variations
- Moong dal ( husked split green gram or yellow mung in English). Just in case you do not have Moong dal in your pantry or you do not want to use it for any reason you may replace it with red lentil (masoor dal), tuvar dal (split pigeon peas).
- Veggies : I used cauliflower florets, fresh peas, carrots. You may use bottle gourd, butternut squash, ridge gourd, green beans as well. If you are not watching your carbs strictly you may even throw some chopped potatoes.
- Nuts : I used peanuts. I have not yet tried replacing peanuts with any other nuts as yet.
- Whole spices : Whole cumin seeds.
- Clarified butter or Ghee.
Where to Shop for the Daliya Khichdi recipe in Instant Pot ingredients
- Dalia or Bulgur: Indian grocery store or American Super-markets in the USA.
- Spices like whole cumin seeds & turmeric powder: American super-markets in the USA & the Indian grocery stores.
- Moong dal or husked split green gram or yellow mung: Indian grocery stores or a few American super-markets. Check their Indian or Asain aisle.
- Clarified butter or ghee: American super-markets in the USA or any Indian grocery store.
Pro tip > Americanize the Daliya Khichdi recipe
- Skip adding the whole cumin seeds.
- Skip adding the turmeric powder.
- If you want replace the clarified butter or ghee with regular butter or canola oil.
Veganize the Daliya Khichdi recipe
- Replace the clarified butter with vegan butter or just canola oil.
How to make Daliya Khichdi Recipe in Instant Pot
Step by Step Method to make Daliya Khichdi recipe in Instant Pot
- Wash the Dalia & yellow moong dal very well under running tap water. Set aside.
- Chop the veggies and keep them ready.
- Switch on the Instant
potand set it to "saute" mode and keep it on "more".
- Add clarified butter (ghee) or canola oil. When hot at the whole cumin seeds or jeera and allow them to sizzle for a few seconds.
- When the whole cumin seeds start to sizzle add the chopped veggies & the peanuts except the green peas. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add grated ginger & saute for few more seconds.
- Now, add the washed dalia & the yellow moong dal.
- Saute everything together for a few seconds. If it sticks to the bottom of the pot just reduce the temperature and bring it to "Normal" mode. You may do this by pressing the "saute" button.
- Next, add sufficient water so that the dry ingredients remains covered in water.
- Press the pressure cook button and set the time for 3 minutes.
- Put the lid on and set the vent to the sealing position.
- After 3 minutes & after the beep sound, quickly release the pressure by moving the vent to the venting position.
- When the pressure is released completely open the lid and add the green peas.
- Simmer for a few seconds on the "saute" mode settings "normal". Serve hot!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe from this blog, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it! Hearing from you is what makes my Day!
Health Conscious, but want delicious recipes? Check out the following awesome recipes.By Meghna for Foodies Terminal
Measuring cup used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.
DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Do not forget to give a STAR (*) rating. Just click on the stars on the Recipe Card below to rate!
Recipe card for Daliya Khichdi Recipe in Instant Pot|Dalia recipe For Weight Loss
Daliya Khichdi Recipe in Instant Pot | Dalia Recipe For Weight LossPrint Recipe Pin Rate
- Wash the Dalia and the moong dal under running water very well. Chop the veggies & set aside.
- Switch on the Instant Pot, set it to the "saute" mode & bring it to "high" settings by pressing the saute button.
- Add the ghee or clarified butter. When hot release the whole cumin seeds & allow them to sizzle for a few seconds.
- Next, add the chopped veggies along with the peanuts & turmeric powder except for the green peas. saute for a few seconds. Add the grated ginger & saute for a few more seconds.
- Now, add the washed and cleaned Dalia & the yellow moon dal & give everything a good stir.
- Add enough water so that the dry ingredients completely gets submerged in the water.
- Next, set the Instant pot to the "pressure cook" mode & set the time to 3 mins. Close the lid and seal the vent to the "sealing" position.
- After 3 mins & when the instant pot starts to beep, quickly release the pressure by moving the vent to the "venting" position.
- When the pressure is completely released carefully open the lid of the instant pot & add the green peas. Give everything a quick stir & simmer for 1 min on the "saute" mode at the "normal" settings.
- Garnish with more ghee & serve hot. Enjoy!
Stove Top Method
- 1. The recipe remains the same. Just replace the instant pot with a traditional pressure cooker.2. Saute everything over medium-high heat.
3. Pressure cook for 2 whistles over medium-high heat.4. After 2 whistles do not wait, immediately release the pressure.5. Serve hot.