Air Fryer Brownies bakes in half the time than a regular oven baked brownie. It has that perfect moist inside & a crackly top. These fudgy air fryer brownies are extremely decadent, so rich, chocolaty & made in the Instant Pot using the air fryer lid. Don’t miss the tips & the recipe video!
Air Fryer Brownies from Scratch
If you hate cakey brownies just like us than this ultra fudgy air fryer brownies recipe will keep you hooked. These brownies are seriously fudgy, made with pantry staples & tastes incredible, chewy and gooey is the best way to describe them!
We made it in the Instant Pot using the air fryer lid. The only disadvantage is that you can make a small batch at a time using a 6 inch cake pan.
Air Fryer Brownies – Ingredients
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements at the bottom of the post. The list below is just a reference.
- Chocolate: Use the best quality you can afford. I used organic semi-sweet chocolate squares containing 70% cocoa. The pure chocolate makes the brownies decadent, rich and extraordinary.
- Cocoa Powder: Use unsweetened cocoa powder. Pick your favorite brand.
- All-Purpose Flour.
- Baking Powder: Use fresh baking powder that’s not old. Check for the expiry date.
- Sugar: Use regular white sugar.
- Butter: I used unsalted butter. If you use salted butter reduce the amount of salt used in the recipe.
- Vanilla Extract.
Tips & Tricks
- Best Chocolate: Try using the best quality chocolate bar/slab/squares containing at least 60% cocoa. And chop the chocolate into small pieces before melting it. Chopped chocolate from squares/bars/slabs always melts better than chocolate chips. They also lend the best taste and flavor to the brownies making them incredibly decadent.
- Melting the Chocolate: Melt the chocolate in a dry microwave safe bowl in the microwave oven in 10 seconds bursts. Stir every 10 seconds to help melt the chopped chocolate uniformly. Any single drop of water in the bowl will make the melted chocolate seize or curdle.
- Eggs: Use room temperature eggs always.
- Brownie doneness check: A tooth pick inserted in the brownie must not come out clean. This is the secret way to understand that your brownies are fudgy and not cakey and fully cooked. Fudgy brownies are all done when the center of the brownie is no more jiggly and the top is all shiny and crackly.
- Un-molding and slicing the brownies: Allow the brownie to sit for 30 minutes undisturbed before un-molding it from the pan and than slicing it. If you try to un-mold the hot brownie it’ll fall apart.
- Fudgy Brownie secret: Use the best quality pure chocolate baking bars/slabs/squares and avoid using chocolate chips. The decadence lies in the quality of the chocolate. Buy the best quality. Do not change any ingredients or there measurements mentioned in the recipe.
How to Air Fry Brownies from scratch?
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements + Video at the bottom of the post.
Step #1 Prepare the brownie batter
We’ll be mixing the wet ingredients first, than whisk the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and than add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients to form the brownie batter.
To begin with mix the melted butter and sugar together. Than, add an egg and whisk together with the help of a hand whisk until combined. Also, add the vanilla extract and mix well.
In a separate bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients – flour, cocoa powder, salt & baking powder.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and gently fold with the help of a spatula to just combine. We do not need a completely silky smooth batter, just combine the batter and avoid mixing it for too long.
Melt the good quality chocolate chips in the microwave oven in 10 seconds bursts stirring it every 10 seconds. Allow the hot/warm melted chocolate to cool down a bit and than add it to the brownie batter. Fold it gently with the batter until combined.
If you want an outstanding fudgy brownie do add best quality chopped chocolate. Gently fold in the chopped chocolate. You’ll end up with a thick brownies batter.
Step #2 Air Fry Brownies
Grab a 6 inch cake pan and line it with parchment paper. Than, transfer the brownie batter and try to spread it evenly (as much as you can) with the help of a spatula.
Place the air fryer basket inside the steel insert of the Instant Pot. Make sure that the Instant Pot is unplugged. Than, place the air fryer perforated steel disk in the air fryer basket and place the cake pan on top of the disk.
Secure the Instant Pot air fryer lid. Plug it in. Than, press the AIR FRYER button and set the temperature to 350 degree Fahrenheit and the time 15 minutes.
Once, the time is up open the air fryer lid and place it on the heat proof base, it’s very very HOT, so be careful! Insert a toothpick at the center of the brownie and check for its done-ness. The toothpick must not come out clean.
Bring out the cake pan and allow it to rest on the counter-top for at least 30 mins or until the brownie comes down to room temperature. Grab the parchment paper with both hands and bring out the brownie when it’s no more hot. Never try to un-mold or slice a hot brownie it’ll fall apart.
When the brownie is cold slice it and enjoy with scoops of vanilla ice-cream. Yum!
Air Fryer BrowniesPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Semi-sweet chocolate (**chopped finely, 85 g. Buy the best quality you can afford. )
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1/3 cup white sugar (**if you prefer more sweet add 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- Kosher Salt (**a pinch. Or you can use regular salt.)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 large egg. (**room temperature)
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter (**melted and cooled slightly)
- 2 tbsp Semi-sweet chocolate (**chopped roughly.)
- Begin by melting the finely chopped chocolate in a completely dry microwave safe bowl in the microwave oven in 10 seconds bursts. Stir in between. Do this until the chocolate is completely melted. It’ll look silky smooth & shiny. Set it aside.
- Mix the sugar and melted butter together until just combined. You can use a hand whisk or a fork to do the job.
- Crack a room temperature egg and whisk to mix it with the sugar butter mixture. Whisk until the egg is uniformly combined.
- Now, add the vanilla extract and give the wet ingredients a quick stir.
- In a separate bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients (until just combined) like the flour, cocoa powder, salt & the baking powder. Use a fork or a hand whisk.
- Now, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well with the help of a spatula until combined. Avoid over mixing.
- Add the melted chocolate and gently fold it in into the brownie batter with the help of a spatula.
- Now, for a super fudgy and moist brownie add in the roughly chopped chocolate and gently fold it in the brownie batter. The batter is ready.
- Place the air fryer basket inside the steel insert of the Instant Pot (make sure the Instant pot is unplugged) and place the perforated metal disc inside the air fryer basket.
- Line a 6 inch cake mold with parchment paper (makes it so easy to take out the brownie without breaking it).
- Transfer the brownie batter into the parchment layered cake pan. Try to spread it evenly with the help of a spatula as much as you can (it’s a super thick batter).
- Place the cake pan on the perforated metal disc inside the air fryer basket.
- Secure the Air Fryer lid and plug it in. Hit the Air Fryer button and Air Fry at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Once, the cooking cycle is over the Instant Pot will begin to beep. Hit the CANCEL button and open the air fryer lid carefully and place it on top of the heat proof lid base (comes along with the air fryer lid).
- Insert a tooth pick at the center of the brownie to check the doneness. The toothpick must not come out clean.
- Bring out the cake pan and place it on top of the kitchen counter and allow it to rest for at least 30 minutes or until the brownie have come down to the room temperature.
- Grab the ends of the parchment paper and carefully bring out the brownie. Slice and serve with vanilla ice-cream. Enjoy!
- Sugar: You can use 1/2 cup sugar to make the brownie if you prefer very sweet desserts. We used 1/3 cup sugar.
- Chopped Chocolate: Use the best quality chocolate you can afford. The better the quality of the chocolate the fudgier and tastier the brownie would be. I used 70% semi-sweet organic chocolate slabs.
- Melting the Chopped chocolate: The melted chocolate will make the interior of the brownie incredibly moist, fudgy and chocolaty. Your brownies will be outstanding. Don’t skip the chocolate and always melt it in completely dry microwave safe bowl. A single drop of water will seize the chocolate and it will be lumpy and grainy instead of silky, smooth and shiny.
- DO NOT change any ingredient quantities.
- Brownie consistency: Fudgy & chewy with a crackly top.
- Storing Tips: The Brownie will last in the fridge for 7 days. They will become hard as it contains butter. Allow the brownies to come down to room temperature or just warm them up slightly in the microwave oven before serving.
- Serving Ideas: Serve these insanely fudgy air fryer brownies with vanilla ice-cream or milk. So yum!
- Can you freeze the Air fryer brownies? I would not recommend freezing the air fryer brownies because the consistency and texture of the brownie would change. It’s a small batch brownie and would be gone fast 😀