Chicken Minestrone Soup Instant Pot recipe is loaded with veggies, beans, juicy chicken, pasta & an amazing seasoning in a flavorful broth. Your whole family will love this hearty chicken minestrone soup that get's done in just under 30 mins!
Check out our collection of easy Instant Pot Recipes.
Instant Pot Chicken Minestrone Soup
You can feed an army with this healthy chicken minestrone soup. You can even transform today's recipe into a dump & start soup and serve dinner under 30 mins!
Onion, garlic, celery, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, green beans, cannellini beans, red kidney beans, chicken breasts/thighs, pasta are all cooked together in an amazing flavorful broth in just one pot!
You can even use up your rotisserie chicken or pre-cooked leftover chicken to make this quick chicken minestrone soup!
Chicken Minestrone Soup Ingredients
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements at the bottom of the post. The list below is just a reference.
- Chicken: I used chicken boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs or rotisserie chicken.
- Pasta: Uncooked macaroni or ditalini or small shells. You can add any. Today's recipe uses uncooked macaroni pasta.
- Aromatics: Onion & garlic. Do use yellow onion for best flavor.
- Vegetables: Carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, green beans & celery. These hearty veggies provide so much flavor and a nutrient dense soup base. You can really play around with these set of veggies & skip those that you don't like or add more of those that you really like!
- Beans: Cannellini beans or white kidney beans and red kidney beans. Drained & rinsed from the can. Beans are so rich in nutrients and gives a creamy buttery bite to the soup.
- Tomato: Use crushed tomatoes from the can. If you prefer more tang add 2 tablespoons tomato paste as well.
- Seasonings: Oregano, Italian seasoning, sweet paprika, red pepper flakes (skip if heat intolerant), ground black pepper, salt.
- Bay leaf.
- Balsamic Vinegar: Add this if you have it on hand. This gives such a subtle kick in flavor, we love it!
- Better than Bouillon chicken base: This is a miracle ingredient and you can stir this in warm water to make an instant chicken stock. Skip the store bought chicken stock and add this to make your soup outstanding.
- Garnish: Grated parmesan cheese, chopped fresh parsley.
Tips for success
- Al dente Pasta: Instead of pressure cooking the pasta with the minestrone soup add already cooked pasta directly in serving bowls. This way you can enjoy al dente pasta.
- Serve immediately: For best flavor and texture serve the easy chicken minestrone soup immediately. The pasta tends to soak up liquid very fast. Avoid super tender pasta and lesser broth in the soup by serving the soup almost immediately!
- Leftover planning: If you plan to have leftovers I would recommend that you do not pressure cook the pasta. Skip the pasta from the recipe. Store leftover soup without the pasta. Before reheating add some cooked pasta in serving bowls and than reheat the minestrone soup and enjoy!
- Rotisserie chicken: Replace the chicken breasts in this recipe with rotisserie chicken. Add the rotisserie chicken after the pressure cooking the soup.
- Balsamic vinegar alternative: You can sub the vinegar with same amount cider vinegar or even Worcestershire sauce.
- Herbs that work great: Parsley (both flat leaf & Italian), fresh rosemary (use a whole twig and discard the twig after pressure cooking the soup).
- Extra tang: Add about 2 tablespoons lemon juice or 2 tablespoons tomato paste. This recipe has none.
- Dump & start chicken minestrone soup: You can skip the sautéing part from todays recipe and dump everything in the instant pot and pressure cook. The rest of the recipe and the cook time would remain the same.
How to make best chicken minestrone soup in instant pot?
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements + Video at the bottom of the post.
Step #1 Sauté aromatics, seasonings, celery
- Sauté aromatics & seasonings: Sauté the onion & garlic for 30 secs. on Normal heat settings (Sauté mode) in the instant pot. Add seasonings and sauté another 30 secs.
- Sauté celery: Throw in the celery & sauté for 30 secs. Cancel the sauté mode.
Step #2 Dump ingredients
- Dump ingredients: Dump the veggies, beans, pasta, chicken stock and the balsamic vinegar. Give everything a quick stir.
Step #3 Pressure cook
- Pressure cook: Now, add the crushed tomatoes, stir well. Throw in the bay leaves and the boneless skinless chicken breasts. Secure the lid, seal the valve & pressure cook on High Pressure for just 3 mins followed by a quick pressure release.
Step #4 Serve healthy chicken minestrone soup
- Shred/dice Chicken: Fish out the pressure cooked chicken and place it on a plate. Either dice or shred the cooked chicken with the help of a pair of fork.
- Serve chicken minestrone soup: Transfer back the diced/shredded chicken into the instant pot. Mix it well with the soup and serve the hearty chicken minestrone soup immediately. Do not forget some awesome crusty bread like a sour dough!
How to store instant pot chicken minestrone soup?
Fridge: Minestrone soup with chicken broth will last for 3 days in the fridge. Store the soup in air tight containers. The paste will soak up a lot of the broth, you need to add more liquid just before reheating the soup. Find reheating directions mentioned below.
Freezer: If you intend to freeze the chicken minestrone soup than I would recommend skipping the pasta from todays recipe.
The pasta tends to soak up a ton of the liquid and this will make the pasta very soggy & mushy. Add some cooked pasta later to individual bowls just before serving the soup.
Can minestrone soup be reheated?
Yes, minestrone soup can be reheated in the microwave oven until warm or hot. You might have to add more stock or water before reheating the soup because the pasta absorbs a lot of liquid.
What do you eat with minestrone?
- Crusty bread like a good quality sourdough.
- Garlic bread.
- Olive Garden style bread sticks.
- Dinner rolls.
Minestrone soup is made of veggies, beans, pasta in a flavorful tomato based hearty broth. You can add chicken in minestrone soup as well.
Minestrone soup tastes very hearty, chunky, it has a good mouthfeel with lots of veggies & tender juicy chicken in a mildly tangy broth.
Yes minestrone soup contains pasta. If you are on a low carb gluten free ketogenic diet you can replace the pasta with more beans of your choice.
You can put veggies like zucchini, green beans, carrots, celery, red kidney beans, white kidney beans or cannellini beans, garbanzo beans, tomatoes like crushed tomatoes, or diced tomatoes, seasonings of your choice. If you are vegan skip the parmesan cheese and the chicken.
Chicken Minestrone soup is a hearty & chunky loaded soup that contains lot of veggies, beans, pasta, shredded or diced chicken in a tomato based brothy soup base. It's very flavorful and packed with nutrition.
More Instant pot soup recipes you’ll love
- Lemon chicken orzo soup instant pot.
- Olive Garden copycat pasta e fagioli soup.
- Alaskan salmon chowder
- Tom Kha Gai Soup Instant Pot.
- Instant pot creamy chicken noodle soup.
- Instant pot chicken wild rice soup.
- Chili’s chicken enchilada soup instant pot.
- Chicken gnocchi soup instant pot.
- Instant pot stuffed pepper soup with sausage.
- Creamy chicken tortilla soup instant pot.
- Instant pot chicken corn chowder.
- Unstuffed cabbage roll soup instant pot.
- New England clam chowder instant pot.
- Instant pot Olive Garden zuppa toscana copycat.
- Instant pot cheesy potato soup.
- Creamy chicken tortellini soup.
- Herbed white bean and sausage stew.
- Lamb stew recipe instant pot.
- Chili's chicken enchilada soup instant pot.
Chicken Minestrone SoupPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- ¾ cups macaroni pasta (**you can use ditalini or small shells.)
- 1 pound Chicken Breast (**boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs.)
- 1 cup onion (**yellow onion roughly chopped.)
- ½ tbsp garlic (**minced.)
- 15.5 ounce cannellini beans (**drained from the can. 439 g can.)
- 15.5 ounce red kidney beans (**drained from the can. 439 g can.)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (**optional.)
- 4 small Bay leaf
- 28 ounce crushed tomato (**794g.)
- Salt (to taste) (**use according to your own personal taste preference.)
- 1 cup carrots (**diced into half moons.)
- 1 cup zucchini
- 1 cup green beans (**cut into 2 inch pieces.)
- 1 cup celery (**roughly chopped.)
- 5 cups water (**warm water.)
- 2 tbsp Better Than Bouillon (**stir the 2 tbsp better than bouillon chicken base in 5 cups warm water to make an instant homemade chicken stock. If you do not have this ingredient just replace the water with regular chicken stock.)
Sauté aromatics, seasonings
- Ser the instant pot on SAUTE mode on NORMAL heat setting (you can adjust the heat settings by pressing the Sauté button multiple time). Now, add oil, when the oil becomes warm throw in the onion, garlic & sauté until the onion begins to turn soft. Next, add all the seasonings mentioned above in the "seasonings" section of the ingredient list. Sauté for 30 secs. Now, add the celery & sauté for another 30 secs.
Dump other ingredients
- CANCEL sauté mode. Add the cannellini & red kidney beans, carrots, green beans, zucchini, macaroni, chicken stock (better than bouillon chicken based stirred in warm water), balsamic vinegar, crushed tomato, salt according to your personal taste preference. Give everything in the pot a quick stir. Now, add the boneless skinless chicken breasts, throw in the bay leaf.
- Secure the lid of the instant pot, seal the valve. PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 3 mins. Once the pressure cooking cycle is over the instant pot will begin to beep, immediately perform a quick pressure release by manually moving the valve from the sealing to the venting position. Open the lid carefully when the metal pin on the lid drops. CANCEL the Pressure Cook mode.
Dice or Shred chicken
- Fish out the pressure cooked chicken on to a clean plate with the help of a pair of tongs. Dice the chicken into bite size pieces or shred the chicken with the help of a pair of forks and set it aside.
Serve Chicken Minestrone Soup
- Transfer the diced/shredded chicken into the instant pot and give the soup a quick stir. Taste test the instant pot chicken minestrone soup. If you prefer brothy soup you can add more chicken stock now to adjust the consistency. Serve the hearty chicken minestrone soup immediately and enjoy!
- Red pepper flakes: If you are heat intolerant skip adding the red pepper flakes. The red pepper flakes gives a soup a subtle kick but doesn't make it spicy.
- Best Pastas: Macaroni, ditalini and small shells all go very well. I've used macaroni pasta.
- Brothy Soup: You can adjust the consistency of the chicken minestrone soup by adding more chicken stock at the end.
- Cannellini Beans sub: You can sub it with great northern beans. Add the same amount.
- Seasonings: You can play around the seasonings. Add seasonings of your choice, you can also add fresh herbs instead of the dried versions.
- Leftovers: Storing the leftovers is tricky! Pasta sucks a ton of liquid hence if you plan to store the soup I would recommend skipping the pasta from the recipe. You can always add some cooked pasta later while serving the soup in individual bowls.