Gadbad Ice Cream – the best Mangalorean style layered ice cream dessert cups right at your doorstep. Few flavors of ice cream, nuts, fruits, syrup, jelly are all that you need. And you can make this Gudbud Ice Cream in just 5 mins!
Table Of Contents
- 1 Gadbad Ice Cream Video Recipe
- 2 Gudbud Ice Cream
- 3 What is Gadbad?
- 4 Who invented Gadbad Ice Cream?
- 5 What is Gudbud?
- 6 Gadbad Ice Cream Ingredients
- 7 Gudbud Ice Cream – 7 tips & tricks
- 8 How to layer Gadbad ice cream?
- 9 Best flavors of Ice Cream that make a terrific Gadbad
- 10 Fruit Choices for Gudbud that you will love
- 11 How to make Gadbad Ice Cream? Step by Step
- 12 Gadbad Ice Cream
Gadbad Ice Cream Video Recipe
Gudbud Ice Cream
Gadbad Ice cream also known as Gudibudi or Gudbud Ice cream is a fun dessert to make at home.
Your kids will love it, you’ll love it. It’s super addictive if you don’t mind the calories 😛
Layered with so many flavors, textures & tastes this Mangalorean style Ice Cream Sundae will give you the best ice cream experience ever 😀
The ice cream layers will create a melting moment in your mouth along with the crunchy nuts, soft raisins, soggy & crisp fruits, the squishy jelly, the chewy tutti Frutti bites & the fragrant sweet syrup.
Oh! What a party of flavors. You can make your own signature style Gadbad Ice Cream with the best flavor choices that you love.
The name “Gadbad” says it all. In Hindi language it means confusion, mayhem or chaos.
So, basically you can say that it’s a total riot of flavors, textures, tastes & colors in a glass.
A beautiful delicious chaos I must say! 😉
The recipe of Gudbud ice cream is super customizable & adaptive. Don’t forget to miss match the fruits, the jelly & the syrup.
And you don’t have to add the nuts that I added.
Add what you love & skip what you hate 😀
The only reason of Gadbad Ice Cream being the most sought after dessert in my home is just because everyone gets the flavors what they love.
There are some flavor ideas & texture ideas that I will share in this post but you don’t have to stick to them. Experiment & explore designing your very own Hyderabadi style Gudibudi Ice Cream.
Pro Tip: Gadbad Ice Cream is also known by other names like Gudbud Ice Cream & Gudibudi Ice Cream. They are all the same.
What is Gadbad?
Gadbad is a much loved Mangalorean ice cream dessert that’s made with more than one flavor of ice cream, nuts, chopped fruits, jelly, syrup & tutti Frutti.
It’s served layered in a tall glass.
Gadbad in Hindi = Mayhem, chaos or confusion.
This ice cream dessert is very different from the ones normally served in regular restaurants & it consists of various flavors, textures & tastes.
Normally 3 flavors of ice creams are used to design a Gadbad Ice cream. But you can use even more than that if your glass is taller 😀
Who invented Gadbad Ice Cream?
Two different stories support the birth of this delicious Gadbad Ice cream.
“Gadibadi” the slang in Kannad for mayhem, chaos or confusion led to the name “Gadbad”.
Gadbad Ice cream is believed to have originated in Diana Restaurant in Udupi, Mangalore, Karnataka.
One day a customer became furious when he ordered an ice cream in the restaurant & was served with meagre amount.
To calm him down the cook of the restaurant dumped various left over scoops of ice cream in a bowl & dressed it up with nuts, jelly, fruits & syrup. It was brought to him as a compensation.
This accidental ice cream dessert was much loved by the angry customer & thus found a permanent place in the menu of Diana restaurant.
The second story claims that the founder of the Diana restaurant Mr. Mohandas Pai accidentally invented Gadbad Ice cream.
One fine day when he ran out of several flavors of ice cream he decided to give a group of customers what he had as a left over.
He scooped out the left over ice creams in a bowl & threw some nuts, fruits, jelly & syrup to make it more appealing & than served them the dessert.
The customers loved it so much that they came back for that lovely invention of Mr. Mohandas Pai.
Since, than Gadbad Ice Cream found a permanent place in Diana restaurant’s menu.
What is Gudbud?
Gudbud is basically Gadbad Ice cream. It’s also known by the name Gadibadi.
Gadbad Ice Cream Ingredients
It’s lovely fun dessert to make, serve & enjoy. And here’s what you’ll need for todays recipe:
- Ice Cream: You’ll need 3 flavors but you can also choose more than three flavors. I used Vanilla, Strawberry & Matcha ice cream.
- Nuts: Pistachio, almond. Chop them finely.
- Raisins: I used golden raisins. They taste best. You may also use dried cranberries.
- Fruits: You can use any chopped fruit of your choice. I used cherries, strawberries, mango.
- Syrup: Strawberry syrup tastes awesome (its missing in the above pic, I completely forgot to add it 😛 but you can find it in the recipe video).
- Jelly: You may use any flavor. I used strawberry jelly.
- Tutti Frutti: These are candied papaya bites available in Indian grocery stores.
Pro Tip: You can use sorbet, frozen yogurt, gelatos, fat free & sugar free ice creams to make Gadbad or Gudbud ice cream. Sorbets melt fast once served.
Gudbud Ice Cream – 7 tips & tricks
- The ice creams should be freezer cold: Take out the tubs of ice cream from the freezer once you are ready to assemble the ice cream in a glass or bowl.
- Finely chopped Nuts is what you need: Chop the nuts finely & use them to layer up.
- Small pieces of fruits makes the Best Gadbad: Chop the fruits into small pieces. You may chop them finely too.
- Do not miss out any ingredient: For best flavors & a really authentic Gadbad experience do not skip any ingredient. You may swap a fruit with another or swap the flavors of ice cream but do not omit using any.
- Assemble in chilled glasses: Pop the glasses in the fridge for about 1 hour & use them to assemble the Diana Udupi Gadbad Ice Cream.
- Serve immediately: Assemble a Gadbad only when you are ready to serve. Otherwise it will become a medley of soupy texture! 😛
- Be extra careful while layering the jelly: Do not use it as the base to stack your last scoop of ice cream. Jelly is slippery hence the ice cream will slide off. It’s wise to layer the jelly with chopped nuts than place the final scoop of ice cream. Or you may even use it in the deepest layers.
Pro Tips: For perfect roundish scoops that come off easily from the scooper just dip the scooper in warn water & than begin scooping. Repeat for every new scoop of ice cream.
How to layer Gadbad ice cream?
The trick to a perfect layering style lies in the way how you choose to you distribute the ingredients between layers.
And for todays Udupi Diana Gudbud ice cream recipe the best bet is to layer the ingredients in a way so that the taste & the texture gets uniformly distributed.
When you scoop until the bottom of the glass you can cut through a variety of textured layers. And that’s how we love our Mangalorean style homemade Gudbud ice cream.
Here’s what works for us every single time:
- First scoop ice cream (any flavor)
- Second scoop ice cream.
- Chopped nuts + raisins + tutti Frutti.
- Final scoop of ice cream.
- A cherry on the top makes everything better 😀
Best flavors of Ice Cream that make a terrific Gadbad
For today’s recipe we used Strawberry sorbet, Vanilla Ice cream & matcha ice cream. Because that’s what we love.
I have a terrible amount of weakness for matcha everything. It’s delicious & the matcha ice cream is a bomb. It’s super addictive.
Oh yes, you can use sorbets, gelatos, frozen yogurts & fat free, sugar free ice creams to make your Gadbad too. Choose what you love!
Here are some more bonus flavor choices that pair amazingly well. Try them to design your very own Gadbad Ice Cream.
- Mango, Mint, Coffee.
- Raspberry, Vanilla, Matcha.
- Lavendar, Chocolate ganache, Vanilla bean.
- Caramel, double chocolate, matcha.
Let us know what you tried & what you loved in the comments below 🙂
Fruit Choices for Gudbud that you will love
Mango, cherry & strawberry is what we used. But here’s what makes a delicious layer for Gadbad Ice Cream:
- Green apple, mango, grapes (green or red)
- Red apple, apricot, grapes
- Mango, peach, cherry
- Pomegranate, mango, grapes
I am sure you are going to love these amazing combos. We tried them all & we found that Banana, pears, pineapple, watermelon does not taste good as layers in a Gadbad.
How to make Gadbad Ice Cream? Step by Step
How to make Gadbad Ice Cream or Gudbud Ice Cream?
- Gather the ingrdients
Chop the nuts finely, chop the fruits into small pieces arrange them & than when you are ready to serve take out the ice cream tubs from the freezer.
- Layer up everything
Take out the chilled glasses & layer up the ice cream, fruits, nuts, raisins, jelly. You may layer up as you want to. For best flavor & texture experience layer up the fruits, nuts, jelly & raisins in between ice cream scoops.
Check out the other easy recipes from Foodies Terminal.
Gadbad Ice CreamPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 2 scoops Strawberry Sorbet (you may use any flavor)
- 2 scoops Vanilla Ice Cream (use any flavor of your choice)
- 2 scoops Matcha green tea Ice Cream (You may use a different flavor that you like)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped almonds (or more)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped pistachios (or more)
- 1 tbsp Golden Raisins (or more)
- 1.5 tbsp tutti frutti
- 1.5 tbsp chopped mango
- 1.5 tbsp chopped strawberries
- 1.5 tbsp chopped cherries
- 2 tbsp strawberry syrup (or rose syrup)
- thin layer of jelly (any flavor)
- 2 cherries for topping
- Gather all the ingredients & make an assembly line. Take out the chilled glasses once you are ready to assemble.
- Throw in the Vanilla scoop first, than add the chopped fruits followed by the syrup.
- Next goes the strawberry sorbet. Layer it with the jelly.
- Throw in the nuts, raisins & the tutti frutti.
- Add the final layer of icecream & top it with a cherry. Serve immediately enjoy!
- Measuring units used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.
- Use a good ice cream scooper to scoop out the ice creams.
- Assemble in chilled glasses.
- You may use different flavors of ice creams & fruits combo already shared in the post.
- Layer the Gadbad ice cream as you want to.
Pin it for Later!