You can never go wrong with this Mango Kheer recipe. It’s ultra creamy, super rich, packed with great flavors of mango pulp and fragrant rice that’s cooked just right. This Instant Pot Mango kheer is completely handsfree, a perfect dump and go Instant Pot recipe that’s a winner BIG TIME. Check the Video below & also the Stove top method.
Mango Rice Kheer
This Mango Kheer recipe is a flavor bomb!
Fragrant rice, milk, mango pulp & condensed milk is cooked together in an Instant Pot along with nuts & raisins.
A perfect dump and go recipe that you can make anytime.
Seriously guys, if you are a mango fanatic just like us get on with the recipe & make it instantly.
Even if you hate mangoes give this recipe just one try. You might change your views 😉
I promise it is not complicated, good news is that you can make it with canned mango pulp.
I did just that.
It tastes amazing, not over-powering with mango flavor in each morsel but just an absolute balanced mango touch.
You can truly taste the fragrant rice, the creamy milk that just thickens itself and tastes heavenly once fully cooked along with the sweetener – condensed milk.
Of course you can certainly swap the condensed milk with any sweetener of your choice like honey, maple syrup or even sugar.
And you can do the same with the rice too.
You can use either fragrant Basmati rice or Kalijeera rice. I am an absolute fan of Kalijeera rice and I always cook mango kheer with this rice variety.
But, Basmati rice tastes equally good too.
Don’t miss the tips shared below in the post and learn how to make Mango kheer in an Instant Pot just as good as the stove top version – rich, thick & ultra creamy.
Your guests will never know that this Mango kheer is a dump and go recipe that’s made handsfree in an Instant Pot 😉
What is Mango Kheer?
Mango Kheer is a rich, creamy & delicious Indian dessert that’s made by cooking rice with milk and later flavoring it with Mango pulp and sweetening it with a sweetener.
It’s a rich, thick and very creamy rice & mango pudding.
Nuts and raisins are also added for texture, bite & taste. Some people also love using extra flavoring agents like cardamom powder & kewra water.
However, I kept it simple and did not use the above ingredients.
This Mango Kheer can also be made with Vermicelli.
You don’t need tons of ingredients for today’s recipe. This is exactly what you will need:
- Rice: Fragrant variety is a must like Basmati, Kaalijeera or Gobindobhog. We love Kaalijeera & Gobindobhog in our Mango Kheer recipe.
- Milk: Full fat milk tastes best but you may swap it with fat free or skim milk. Using the later milk varieties will make the Mango kheer less creamy & rich.
- Sweetener: Condensed milk is what I used. It adds tons of creamy richness to this Mango rice pudding dessert. You can use regular white sugar, cane sugar, maple syrup or honey as the sweetener.
- Mango Pulp: Make your own using fresh ripe mangoes or use the tinned mango pulp available in the Indian grocery stores. I love the canned pulp and I always use the Alphonso mango pulp. It makes life easier, tastes much better & I can make mango desserts throughout the year and whenever cravings strike 😛
- Nuts & Raisins: Cashews, and golden raisins tastes best.
- Secret Ingredient: Ghee. Don’t skip this. It seriously adds tons of flavor and makes this Mango kheer recipe extremely delicious. You can find how to & when to use it in the recipe card below.
Pro Tip: This is what you need to know in case you choose to swap the condensed milk. If using sugar add it in the milk before pressure cooking the recipe. If using maple syrup or honey add it to the pressure cooked pudding.
5 Tips to make the best Mango Kheer
- Choose the best quality rice: The best fragrant variety of Basmati, Kalijeera or Gobindobhog will make a lip-smacking bowl of Mango kheer. That’s the only thing that matters in this recipe.
- Wash the rice well: Was the rice under running tap water very well and a number of times, until you see clear water running through the rice. Washing the rice well will prevent it from being all clumped up in the milk.
- Use Ghee: This is one such ingredient that’ll insanely transform the full recipe into something that you can’t resist eating 😀 Mix the ghee with the rice after you wash and drain it. The ghee will also prevent the rice from forming lumps in the milk.
- Add the Mango pulp only after pressure cooking the kheer: Follow this especially if you are using canned Mango pulp. Turn off the heat & mix in the pulp. This will prevent the milk from curdling.
- Condensed milk makes creamy dreamy kheer: If you prefer rich, dense, thick & ultra creamy kheer than do not skip using the condensed milk. It adds tons of body & flavor to any kheer recipe.
Mango kheer is best enjoyed as a dessert after meals.
I love it hot straight from the pot but Manojeet always loves it chilled.
Both versions taste good, it’s a personal preference actually.
How long can you store Mango Kheer in the fridge?
You can store Mango Kheer in the fridge for 7 days in an air tight container.
Can you freeze Mango Kheer?
Yes you can freeze Mango Kheer for up to a month.
When ready to serve thaw in the fridge over night & serve.
How to make Mango Kheer in Instant Pot? Step by Step
Steps in words below pictures
How to make Mango Kheer?
- Wash the rice & smear with ghee
Begin by washing the rice very well under running tap water. Drain the rice and smear with ghee. Set aside.
- Dump everything in the Instant Pot
Dump the milk, rice, nuts, raisins & the condensed milk in the Instant Pot except the mango pulp. Give everything a very good mix so that there are absolutely no lumps in the milk.
- Pressure cook in the Instant Pot
Close the lid of the pot. Seal the valve and set it to PORRIDGE for 20 minutes. When the cooking time is up do a QPR (quick pressure release). Open the lid and give the kheer a good mix.
- Add the Mango Pulp
Next, add the mango pulp and mix well. Serve hot or cold with finely chopped nuts.
Check out more awesome recipes from Foodies Terminal.
Mango KheerPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- Begin by washing the rice very well under running tap water until clear water runs through the rice. Strain and mix ghee with the rice. Set aside.
- Add all the ingredients mentioned above from the “Ingredients list” except the mango pulp to the Instant Pot.
- Give everything a very good mix so that there are abosultely no lumps in the milk and make sure that condensed milk dissolves well in the milk.
- Now, close the lid of the Instant Pot, seal the valve and press the PORRIDGE setting. It automatically sets for 20 mins.
- After 20 mins when the IP begins to beep do a QPR (Quick pressure release). Open the lid and turn OFF the Instant Pot.
- Pour the Mango pulp and mix well. The Mango Kheer is ready. Enjoy!
How to cook Mango Kheer on the stove top?
- Wash the rice well under running tap water until clear water runs through the rice. Mix ghee with the rice grains. Set aside.
- Set a heavy bottomed pot or Kadai over medium heat. Pour the milk and bring to boil.
- Add the rice, cardamom, condensed milk and mix well so that there are absolutely no lumps.
- Cook over medium low heat stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Once the rice is all cooked and you get the right consistency that you love turn off the heat.
- Pour the mango pulp and mix well. The Mango Kheer is ready to serve. Enjoy!
- Measuring units used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
- This recipe of Mango Kheer will give you a rich, creamy kheer that is not runny. If you love a soupy kheer add 1/2 cup more milk.
- DO NOT add the mango pulp before pressure cooking this might split the milk as well as make the mango flavor faint.
- You may also cook today’s Instant Pot Mango Kheer using skim or low fat milk. In that case the Kheer will be less creamy.
- You can also use a different sweetener like sugar, palm sugar, maple syrup or honey.
- If using sugar add it directly to the pot before pressure cooking.
- If using maple syrup or honey add it to the Mango Kheer after pressure cooking.
- Adding palm sugar or cane sugar will slightly change the color of the Mango Kheer and it will become dark.
- For BEST flavors do not skip the ghee.
Pin it for later!