Strawberry Chutney made in an Instant Pot is spicy, sweet, tangy & everything good! Use it as a spread, relish, an accompaniment or lick it off a spoon, it’s just SO good every way. Video recipe just below & stove top method in Recipe Card.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Strawberry Chutney Video below
- 2 Strawberry Chutney
- 3 What is Strawberry Chutney?
- 4 Strawberry Chutney Ingredients
- 5 Why make Strawberry Chutney in Instant Pot?
- 6 Can you use frozen strawberries to make the chutney?
- 7 How long does Strawberry Chutney last?
- 8 How to store Strawberry chutney?
- 9 Serving Ideas
- 10 5 Tips to make the Best Strawberry Chutney
- 11 How to make Strawberry Chutney in Instant Pot?
- 12 Strawberry Chutney
Strawberry Chutney Video below
Strawberry Chutney in Instant Pot is damn easy to make & once you take your first lick there’s no stopping.
This Strawberry chutney is super versatile too. You can grab a quick snack by spreading it on your Chapathi or tortillas. You can pack these tortilla rolls in your kids lunch box too. Oh! my 6 years old just love it.
What else can you do with this yummy Strawberry relish?
Well, certainly the possibilities does not end at a tortilla roll 😀
Slather your morning toasts, get a good dose of spicy kick from the chili flakes & some sweet, tangy burst of flavor mixed with the aroma from the roasted cumin seeds.
My mouth is already watering 😛
Use it as an accompaniment with your meals & snacks just like you use the other chutneys in your life.
If you love it way spicier add more chili flakes. And if you love it sweeter go easy with the chili flakes & add more sweetener depending on the sweetness of the berries.
But, whatever you do don’t miss the Bhuna Jeera powder or roasted cumin powder & the ginger. They are the secret ingredients in today’s Instant Pot Strawberry relish recipe that makes it taste incredibly good.
What is Strawberry Chutney?
Strawberry Chutney is a homemade condiment that’s made with either fresh or frozen strawberries, a few spices & a sweetener. It’s a versatile condiment that may be used in various ways to relish meals.
Chutney is a much loved Indian condiment & used extensively as an accompaniment, spread, filling & garnish. And this Instant Pot Strawberry Chutney is no different.
Strawberry Chutney Ingredients
You’ll need not much ingredients for today’s spicy, sweet & tangy chutney. The list below is exactly what you’ll need & do not forget to experiment with the amount as per your liking 🙂
- Strawberries: I used fresh, hulled & diced. You can also use frozen strawberries.
- Lemon Juice: Adds a good fresh vibe to the recipe & also helps to extract the juices from the berries.
- Vinegar: It’s an excellent preservative, add a slight tang to the chutney & increases the shelf life.
- Ginger: Ummm now this is a star ingredient here. Used grated ginger & let the flavor develop. You won’t regret it ever 🙂
- Roasted cumin powder: Also know as Bhuna jeera powder. This is that magic spice that’ll take the strawberry chutney recipe to a notch up. Minus this ingredient & you’ll know exactly why this is so important 😉
- Red chili flakes: Both homemade & store bought ones work as a charm. Add as much as you want to. You don’t have to follow any rule book to play around with the spice level 😀 We love our chutney spicy so we add more.
- Sweetener: You may use either honey, maple syrup, cane sugar, jaggery powder or white sugar.
- Salt: According to taste. It brings the taste together.
Pro Tip: Using cane sugar or jaggery powder will turn the color of the chutney dark. Roasted cumin seeds powder too will slightly darken the color of the chutney.
Why make Strawberry Chutney in Instant Pot?
This is why I love cooking jams, preserves, relishes & chutneys in an Instant Pot. Because it’s:
- Hands Free cooking.
- Completely hassel free.
- Almost zero babysitting.
- Any one make a strawberry chutney in an Instant Pot.
Can you use frozen strawberries to make the chutney?
Yes, you can use frozen strawberries to make the chutney.
How long does Strawberry Chutney last?
Strawberry chutney will last you for 15 days in the fridge if you store it in sterilized & airtight jars.
How to store Strawberry chutney?
This is what you can do to increase the shelf life of the strawberry chutney & preserve it well. There’s always a risk of botulism if you do not preserve it well.
- Canning jars that are airtight works best to store any jam, jelly, preserve & chutney. Gather them.
- Sterilize the jars: In rolling boiling water sterilize the glass jars along with the lids. Place the washed jars in the boiling water, cover & boil them for 15-20 mins. Later dry them completely.
- Fill the jars & store: When the chutney comes to room temperature store it in the sterilized jars and store it in the fridge.
Pro Tip: Use a clean dry spoon every single time to spoon out the chutney from the jar.
- Makes a meal complete: Use it as a regular chutney & enjoy it with your meals.
- Slather your morning toasts.
- Fill your sandwiches. It’s spicy, tangy & sweet. And it works incredibly good for sandwiches.
- Make Tortilla or Chapathi rolls. Your kids will love it.
- Enjoy it with some sourdough Baguette. This combo is a super hit with us. Try it!
- We love it with beer battered fish too. Weird right! 😀 But, it’s a terrific combo.
5 Tips to make the Best Strawberry Chutney
- Use organic Strawberries: No matter how well & how long you wash preservative laden berries they are never completely stripped off the preservatives. So, choosing organic is healthy. Organic berries always tastes better & hence your chutney too will taste good.
- Apply the 30 mins rule: Always soak the berries in sugar + lemon juice for 30 mins. This will extract the natural juices from the strawberries & you’ll need absolutely no water to cook the chutney. The strawberry relish will taste best when cooked in its own juices.
- Do not skip the ginger + roasted cumin powder: These two ingredients will make your chutney a hit instantly. The flavor is unbeatable. I would recommend to use homemade bhuna jeera powder & organic grated ginger for best flavors.
- Simmer until the concoction thickens: After pressure cooking the berries do simmer until the sauce thickens. You may keep it slightly runny but a thick chutney will last long & have authentic caramelized flavors.
- Add the ginger, cumin, chili flakes later: For best flavors add them after the berries are pressure cooked. This is the trick to preserve the actual flavors of these ingredients. Simmer the strawberry relish along with them.
Love Instant Pot Recipes? Check these quick recipes from FOODIES TERMINAL.
How to make Strawberry Chutney in Instant Pot?
Steps in words below pictures
How to make Strawberry Chutney?
- Prep the Strawberries
Wash the strawberries thoroughly under running tap water, hull them and dice them into chunky pieces.
- Allow the Strawberries to rest for 30 mins
Throw the berries to the Instant Pot (do not turn it on). Add lemon juice + sugar. Mix everything well. Allow the berries to rest for 30 mins. After 30 mins the berries will release its natural juices.
- Pressure cook
Set the IP on HIGH pressure for just 1 min. Close the lid of the pot & seal the valve. Pressure cook.
- Mash the Strawberries
After 1 min wait for NPR (natural pressure release) for 15-20 mins & than release the rest of the pressure. Open the lid & mash the cooked strawberries with a potato masher.
- Simmer the chutney
Now, CANCEL the PRESSURE COOK mode & turn on the SAUTE mode set it on NORMAL. Add the vinegar, chili flakes, ginger, salt, & roasted cumin powder. Give a good mix & simmer the chutney until it thickens.
- Store well
Allow the chutney to come down to room temperature. Store it in sterilized glass jars for 15 days in the fridge for best flavors.
Love Strawberries? Try this easy recipe from FOODIES TERMINAL.
How to make Strawberry Chutney in Instant Pot?
- Add the strawberries to the Instant Pot ( do not switch it on as yet) , add sugar & the lemon juice. Give everything a good mix and allow it to sit for 30 mins.
- After 30 mins you’ll notice that the strawberries will release lots of juice. It’s time to switch on the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid of the IP & press the PRESSURE COOK button. Set it on HIGH for 1 min.
- After 1 min wait for NPR (natural pressure release) for 15 mins. Than, release the rest of the pressure & open the lid of the IP.
- After opening the pot you’ll notice a watery strawberry concoction. Now, CANCEL the PRESSURE COOK mode & than press the SAUTE & set it on NORMAL.
- Mash the cooked strawberries with a potato masher. If you prefer chunky pieces of berries in your chutney reduce the mashing time & if you prefer a smoother chutney mash more until the berries break down.
- Add the red chili flakes, the salt, vinegar, roasted cumin seed powder & the grated ginger. Give everything a very good mix. Simmer the Strawberry chutney until the sauce thickens. It should take you about 15 mins to achieve the jam like consistency.
- Turn off the IP and allow the Strawberry Chutney to cool down completely. In the meantime sterilize the canning jars in boiling water for 15-20 mins. Dry them completely and store the chutney.
How to cook Strawberry Chutney on Stove Top?
- Add the washed, hulled & diced berries in a heavy bottomed saucepan. To it add the sugar + the lemon juice. Give everything a good mix & allow the berries to rest for 30 mins. You’ll notice that the berries will release lots of juices.
- Now, set this saucepan over medium heat. Cover & cook for 10 mins until the berries are properly cooked. The color of the sauce will darken as the berries gets cooked.
- Open the lid of the pot, mash the berries with the help of a potao masher & mix in the red chili flakes, the vinegar, grated ginger & the roasted cumin powder. Give everything a thorough mix.
- Simmer the sauce until it thickens. Stir it at times to prevent it from sticking at the bottom of the pan. It should take you about 15 mins approximately.
- Allow the strawberry chutney to completely cool down. Store it in sterilized jars for 15 days in the fridge. Enjoy.
- Use red, ripe & Juicy strawberries if you decide to use fresh berries. You can read the post Strawberry Jalapeno Salsa recipe post to know how to choose good strawberries.
- You can use any sweetener of your choice like honey, maple syrup, jaggery powder, cane sugar. Using cane sugar & jaggery powder will make your strawberry chutney dark in color.
- DO NOT skip the ginger & the roasted cumin powder. They give extraordinary flavor to the chutney.
Pin it for Later!5