Instant Pot Egg Roll in a Bowl contains the best ever meaty, juicy pork cooked in an awesome flavorful sauce & stirred with crisp veggies. This is the best ever egg roll in a bowl minus the deep fried egg roll wrapper, absolutely appropriate for a quick and healthy dinner.
Table Of Contents
Best Instant Pot Egg Roll in a Bowl
If you are craving for egg roll but do not want to cook a marathon meal which involves stuffing the egg roll wrapper, shaping and deep frying them, than, this easy recipe is all you need.
The Instant Pot egg roll in a bowl will reward you with the filling of a traditional deep fried egg roll minus the crispy outer shell. Juicy ground pork cooked in an amazing soy based sauce & mixed along with crisp veggies.
Instant Pot Egg Roll in a Bowl Ingredients
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements at the bottom of the post. The list below is just a reference.
- Ground Pork: You can sub the ground pork with lean ground beef or ground chicken or ground turkey.
- Veggies: Shredded cabbage both green and purple, carrot. We used a bag of Coleslaw, this truly makes the Instant Pot Egg Roll in a Bowl prep a cinch.
- Aromatics: Onion, ginger and garlic. We prefer yellow onion.
- Soy Sauce: You can use low sodium Regular Soy Sauce or light soy sauce or Tamari or even Coconut Aminos.
- Sriracha Sauce: This is totally optional. It adds a subtle kick and makes the dish totally flavorful. However, you can skip this sauce if you are planning to make the dish for kids.
- Hoisin Sauce: This is the bbq sauce in Asian cuisine. Tastes so good and a little goes a long way.
- Rice Vinegar: Sub it with cider vinegar.
- Red Pepper Flakes: Makes the dish a little spicy, we love it that way. However, you can skip pepper flakes.
- Oil: Use any neutral oil. I used avocado oil.
- Sesame Oil
- Garnish: Scallions & white sesame seeds.
Tips & Tricks
- Brown the Ground Pork: This will add tons of good flavor to the pressure cooked egg roll in a bowl. If you choose to sub the pork with ground beef or chicken or turkey do brown the meat first.
- Pressure cook the meat first: If you want all those amazing wok flavors in this pressure cooked recipe than do pressure cook the meat first and than cook down along with the sauces. It makes a lot of difference.
- Sauces: We love to cook down the pressure cooked ground pork with the amazing sauces. This lends an incredible wok charred caramelized flavor to the egg roll in a bowl recipe.
- Veggies: Add the veggies at the end, the residual heat will appropriately make the veggies crisp tender. Pressure cooking the veggies will over-cook them, turning them mushy and the process will also lead the cabbage to release a lot of moisture. Never ever pressure cook the veggies. Egg Roll in a bowl tastes best with crisp veggies.
- Flavor: If you prefer a slight kick do use the sriracha and the red pepper flakes. They certainly make the dish more flavorful and fills it up with more awesomeness. However, if you want to kid proof the recipe skip them both.
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements + Video at the bottom of the post.
Step #1 Brown the meat
Brown the ground meat for extra flavor. Do it on SAUTE function set on HIGH heat setting.
Step #2 Pressure cook meat
Add the aromatics and saute until they begin to become soft. Than, add water and de-glaze the pot very well with the help of a spatula scraping the sides and the bottom of the pot. There should not be any food particles stuck at the bottom of the pot.
PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for just 2 mins followed by a quick pressure release. As you open the pot you will be left with some amount of the liquid. Do not worry, we’ll be cooking down the meat with the sauces.
Step #3 Cook down sauces
Add the sauces along with the red pepper flakes and cook down the sauces on SAUTE function set at NORMAL heat setting. Stir frequently.
When the meat is nicely caramelized with the sauces and the extra liquid evaporates turn off the Instant Pot. Add the veggies, mix well.
Now you may serve straight away after mixing in some sesame oil or you may just keep the pot covered and allow the dish to rest for 2 mins just to help soften the cabbage a tad bit. In that case add the sesame oil and mix well just before serving.
The longer you allow the dish to rest the more juices the veggies will secret, expect some amount of veggie juices in the dish if you allow the veggies sit in there a little longer. We don’t mind that at all 🙂
Garnish with white sesame seeds and lots of fresh scallions and enjoy!
We love to serve this easy egg roll in a bowl Instant Pot recipe on a bed of white steamed Rice, Lettuce Wraps, with cauliflower rice, with zoodles. We often enjoy a bowl full just by itself 🙂
Fridge: The Instant Pot egg roll in a bowl will last for 7 days in the fridge when stored in air tight containers. The veggies will turn limp and release more juices in the dish. You can always tackle the extra juices while re-heating the dish in a skillet.
Freezer: Egg roll in a bowl is extremely freezer friendly. You can store the dish for upto 2 months in the freezer. Choose individual portion control freezer safe bags or containers. It’s easier to them them out and re-heat.
Thaw the frozen dish over night in the fridge and re-heat in a hot skillet or in the microwave oven. The veggies will turn soft. You can add a handful of shredded veggies while re-heating to add back some crunch to the dish.
Instant Pot Egg Roll in a BowlPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
For the Sauce
- 1/4 cup Soy sauce (**low sodium. You can use either regular soy sauce or light soy sauce or tamari or coconut aminos.)
- 2 tbsp Sriracha sauce. (**skip if you are heat intolerant)
- 1 tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1 tbsp Rice vinegar (**may sub it with cider vinegar)
- 1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes (**skip if heat intolerant or use less.)
- 1/4 cup water
- Set the Instant Pot on SAUTE function and set it on HIGH heat settings. Add oil.
- When the oil becomes moderately hot gently release the ground pork and saute the meat until the color changes.
- Add the onion, ginger and garlic and saute until the meat is nicely browned and the aromatics begin to turn soft.
- Now, pour 1/4 cup water and give everything a good stir. De-glaze the pot with the help of a spatula scraping the sides and the bottom of the pot so that there are absolutely no food particles stuck at the bottom of the pot. This will prevent the BURN error!
- CANCEL the SAUTE function. Close the lid of the Instant Pot, SEAL the valve and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 2 minutes.
- Once the pressure cooking cycle is over the Instant Pot will begin to beep. Do a quick pressure release (QPR) by moving the valve from the SEALING to the VENTING position.
- Carefully open the lid. You'll end up with some amount of liquid in the pot. That's absolutely normal because we'll be cooking down the sauce to caramelize and thicken things up a bit.
- Hit the SAUTE function and set it on NORMAL heat setting.
- Add all the ingredients mentioned above in the "For the Sauce" section and give everything a good mix.
- Cook down the sauces and allow the meat to caramelize a bit by stirring frequently and simmering the ingredients.
- When the extra liquid has evaporated but not dried up altogether (the meat should remain moist and juicy) TURN OFF the Instant Pot.
- Add the shredded veggies or the coleslaw mix and give everything a good mix.
- If you prefer crisp tender veggies, cover the Instant Pot with a lid and allow the egg roll in a bowl to rest for just 2 minutes. And if you prefer crisp veggies skip this step.
- Add sesame oil, give everything a quick stir.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped scallions. Serve hot, enjoy!
- Ground Meat: You can sub the ground pork with lean ground beef, ground chicken or turkey.
- Control the Spice level: If you are heat intolerant skip using the sriracha sauce and the red pepper flakes.
- How sweet is the recipe? The egg roll in a bowl is not sweet, it’s a savory dish. However, if you prefer a mild sweetness you cab add 1 tbsp brown sugar.
- For extra crunch: Add water chestnuts. I did not ad any.