Air Fryer Sausage and Potatoes made with homemade Salt-free Cajun seasoning is one of the best easy air fryer meals that you can make in a cinch. You'll love the slightly browned smoked sausage and the tender potatoes with slightly crispy outer skin.
Don't miss our Air Fryer Recipes & Instant Pot Recipes - you'll surely get something to make for dinner!
Air Fryer Smoked Sausage and Potatoes
If you love easy air fryer dinner recipes that you'll surely love this air fryer sausage potatoes and onion recipe. Add heat with cayenne and make it spicy or go for a milder version. Our homemade Cajun seasoning is mildly spicy, it stores very well, and elevates the flavor of this one pot dinner!
You can pick any smoked sausage of your choice like Cajun, Creole or Kielbasa. And pick either baby gold potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes for your potatoes and sausage in air fryer.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Find the Ingredients with actual measurements at the bottom of the post. The list below is just a reference.
- Potatoes: Use either baby gold potatoes halved or Yukon gold potatoes dice into 1 inch cubes.
- Smoked Sausage: Cut into 1 inch slices. You can pick your favorite smoked sausage like Kielbasa, Cajun or Creole sausage.
- Onion: You can use either yellow onion or red onion diced into large chunks and petals separated.
- Homemade salt free Cajun Seasoning: This is the best. You can make it in just 5 mins with pantry ingredients and store it for a long time. Make a small batch to preserve bright flavors.
- Oil: Use either extra light or light olive oil or avocado oil. They are perfect for high heat cooking.
- Salt: Add salt according to your own personal taste preference.
- Smoked Sausage: Pick fully cooked smoked sausage from the store. Do not buy raw sausage. You can also use smoked turkey or chicken sausage also.
- Even Cooking: For even cooking of all ingredients do shake the basket a few times. This will ensure that all ingredients are evenly cooked through.
- Best texture: Cook the potatoes first and than toss in the diced sausages and cook another 5-6 mins. This will prevent the sausages from getting over cooked and rubbery.
- Seasoning: If you do not like the flavor of Cajun seasoning you can use your favorite seasoning blend. Paprika, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder would be a good combo! You can add red pepper flakes or cayenne for added heat.
- Extra Veggies add on: You can add some diced green bell pepper for a bright crisp flavor or red bell pepper for a sweeter note.
How to make sausage and potatoes in air fryer?
Find the detailed step by step recipe along with measurements + Video at the bottom of the post.
Step #1 Prep potatoes, sausages & Onion
- Potatoes & sausages: Dice the unpeeled Yukon gold potato into ½ inch thick 1 inch cubes. Rinse the diced potatoes in running water, drain them well and transfer them into a large bowl. Dice the sausage into ½ inch thick slices. Cut the onion into large chunks about 1 inch big, separate the petals.
Step #2 Air Fry Potatoes
- Season Potatoes: Add the homemade salt free Cajun seasoning, salt according to your personal taste preference and olive oil into the potatoes. Coat them well. Add the diced onion and toss everything well.
Step #3 Add sausage, air fry and serve
- Air Fry Potatoes & Onion: Coat the pre-heated air fryer basket with cooking oil spray. Transfer the potatoes and onion into the air fryer basket. Spread them out into a single layer with the help of a spatula. Air fry at 390 F for 15 mins, shaking the basket every 5 mins.
- Air Fry Sausage, potatoes & onion: Add the diced sausages into the air fryer basket on top of the potatoes, spread them into a single layer. Air fry at 390 F for 5 mins. Serve immediately, enjoy!
Air fryer potatoes and sausage is one of the quickest air fryer one pot meals. Serve it as such or accompaniment with these soups and simple steamed vegetables:
- Instant pot Panera broccoli cheddar soup.
- Instant pot cheesy potato soup.
- Instant pot steamed broccoli.
- Instant pot steamed carrots.
- Instant pot beets.
- Instant pot green beans no steamer basket.
How to store
Fridge: Sausage and potatoes air fryer recipe can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. Use air tight containers to store it.
Freezer: Air fryer potatoes and sausage can be frozen for upto 3 months in individual portion size freezer safe bags or containers. Thaw them overnight in the fridge before reheating.
How to reheat
- Air Fryer: Reheat the sausage and potatoes in a pre-heated air fryer set at 390 F for 5 mins.
- Microwave Oven: Reheat the dish in the microwave oven until warm or hot.
- Stove Top: Set a skillet on the stove top over medium heat, add the air fryer smoked sausage and potatoes and stir them for few mins to reheat them thoroughly.
Yes you can cook raw sausages in an air fryer. The thick ones would get ready in about 8-10 mins when air fried at 400 F. The outsides of the sausages brown nicely and they are so easy to make too.
Yes you can cook sliced sausages in an air fryer. Cook them for 6-7 mins at 400 F or about 10 mins at 380 F.
Air fried sausages are healthy as compared to pan roasted sausages as air frying doesn't require any added fat or grease.
More Air Fryer Recipes you might like
- Air Fryer Tilapia.
- Air Fryer Brownies.
- Instant Pot Bang Bang Chicken. (Used instant pot air fryer lid to make it, you can use any air fryer to make this recipe).
I LOVE HEARING FROM YOU! If you try this Air Fryer Sausage and Potatoes recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I would love to hear how it turned out for you, or any changes you make. You can also follow me on Pinterest or subscribe our free NEWLETTER for new recipes every week!
Air Fryer Sausage and PotatoesPrint Recipe Pin Rate
Watch Recipe Video
- 14 ounce Smoked Sausage (**I used Andouille sausage diced into ½ inch thick slices. Read NOTES below.)
- 1 pound Potatoes (**Unpeeled yukon gold Potatoes diced into 1 inch cubes about ½ inch thick. Read NOTES below.)
- 1 medium onion (**yellow onion diced into ½ inch large chunks.)
- 2 tsp Cajun Seasoning
- Salt (to taste) (**add according to your own personal taste preference.)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (**use extra light or light olive oil.)
- cooking oil spray (**to coat the air fryer basket.)
Prep sausage, potatoes and Onion
- Dice the unpeeled Yukon gold potatoes into 1 inch cubes about ½ inch thick. Rinse them under running tap water to rinse out the starch, drain them well using a colander or strainer. Transfer them into a large bowl. Now, adice the smoked sausage into ½ inch thick slices, set them aside. Dice the onion into large chunks about ½ inch and separate the petals. Set them aside.
- Add the homemade salt free cajun seasoning, salt according to your own personal taste preference and oilive oil into the potatoes. Toss to coat them well with the help of a spatula. Add the diced onion and mix everything well.
- Pre-heat the air fryer at 390 F. Coat the pre-heated air fryer basket with cooking oil spray. Transfer the seasoned potatoes and onion into the air fryer basket. Spread them into a single layer with the help of your sptaula. It's ok if a few pieces stack on top of each other. Now, air fry for 15 mins at 390 F shaking the basket every 5 mins.
- Once, the 15 mins cooking cycle is over. Transfer the sliced sausages into the air fryer basket. Spread them into a single layer on top of the potatoes with the help of a spatula. Air fry for 5 mins at 390 F. Serve the air fryer sausage and potatoes immediately with your favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy!
- Uniform Cooking: Do not forget to shake the air fryer basket a few times to ensure uniform cooking. This is important.
- Best Sausage: Use fully cooked smoked sausage. You can use any smoked sausage as per your liking. We love Kielbasa, andouille, creole and Cajun spiced smoked sausages. This recipe won't work for uncooked unsmoked sausages like Italian sausage.
- Best Potatoes: Unpeeled Yukon gold Potatoes diced into 1 inch cubes about ½ inch thick. You can peel them if you want to. You can also sub the gold potatoes with same size red potatoes or halved baby gold or red potatoes potatoes.
Do let us know if you created this recipe